• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

(Tavern) City of Orussus, The Red Dragon Inn VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Animus

Explorer
When everyone is finally back in the backroom, the young man addresses the adventurers. He wears a hooded cloak with the hood off, but it looks like the arm lenght of his garment is too long because it covers all of his arms including the hands. He says:

"Greetings to you all. My name is Hamlir Thimbrall, and this is my guard David. I once again apologize for the fool I made of myself earlier today, but my mission is of great importance. It is so important, that my life depends on it.

"Eighty years ago, my recently widowed great grandmother was courted by a wizard. She did not return his love, because her grief was too great for the loss of her husband. The wizard, angry and bitter, cursed the house of her husband's name, vowing that House Thimbrall would die the most unatural death. My great grandmother recieved a precious amulet from a secret admirer, and whether because of fooolishness or sorcerous trickery, she put it on. All of the inhabitants of House Thimbrall who were on the premesis were turned into zombies. The curse also kept members of the Thimbrall name from entering the castle to retrieve the amulet to end the curse. The final part of the curse was that all first born sons would slowly turn into undead in their 20th year.

"Fortunately, my grandfather was on a trip with my great greatuncle at the time. When they returned to the castle, they found out about the curse and went away to live far away from the castle. My grandfather was raised by my great great uncle, then sired a son by his 20th year, my father, who then sired me by his 20th year. Unfortunately, I have been unable to sire any children, so have come to Orossus to find a group of adventurers who will go in and get the amulet and break the curse before I decay. It has already begun." He pulls his sleeves back to show that his flesh is turning a dull gray. "My grandfather and father went into hiding to avoid the wrath of this evil wizard, but I have decided to risk coming out publicly, though with great discretion, to try to end this curse. That is why I am here, and that is why I have gathered you."

He sits down, as if expecting questions.

scout989

First Post
Jann Hurst Half-Elf Sorceror

"Hmm, zombies you say? And, since you cannot enter the place yourself, I assume you cannot tell us what more we may face?" Jann looks thoughtful at these conjectures, but continues, "Well, if the rest of those present are willing to accompany me, I am willing to give it a try. Your plight is pitiable, and my sympathy is aroused. I will do what I can to free you of this curse."

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
Kamdar looks intrigued by the story, "So how much time do you have left? Have you at least heard any other stories that might tell the nature of the Wizard? How far away is the castle? I'm certainly up for helping you lift this curse -- sounds like it'll be exciting!"

fuzzy

First Post
"I'm definitly going to help out here. A curse that turns people into zombies, that's powerful, and the firstborn son part is pretty creative, if twisted. Lets just hope the wizard doesn't show up in person."

Erekose13

Explorer
ao'Thuir replies, "So, these zombies, we can kill 'em right? I know they were your family members and all, but we are not there to try and avoid the killing part while attempting to remove this amulet are we?

Oh and not to seem to mercenary, but I am guessing that you want your castle valuables left intact. So beyond the whole crushing evil undead and rescuing your family from this evil curse, what else is in it for us?"

Velmont

First Post
Ridik Keita, cleric of Russna

The small hooded figure listen silently the story of the man.

"Pretty interesting. I would be glqd to see that amulet and try to learn a bit more about it after it has been retreived, except if you need to have it destroy a soosn as possible."

El Jefe

First Post
Boog Sammas, Elan Telepath

A dark-haired human wearing a midnight blue cloak and a backpack stepped through the door, gawking as if unsure that he was in the right place. His right hand uneasily clutched a staff, and a large crossbow dangled from his waist. The young man was rather nondescript, apart from his sunken, somewhat bloodshot eyes and unusually pale complexion.

One of Joe's barmaids greeted the stranger, and he seemed to slump with relief when informed that yes, this really was the famed Red Dragon Inn of Orussus. The woman explained Joe's rules to him, and when he arrived at the bar, he turned to face the other patrons (many of whom, unknown to him, had just departed the main hall for a private conversation).

"They call me Boog Sammas, or just Boog", he announced. "I am...a telepath. I seek to practice my skills."

Boog was met with silence punctuated by Dagummit's snores. As the other patrons returned to their conversation, Boog turned to Joe. "I, ah, heard this was a good place to find adventure", he more asked than proclaimed. "Ah, do you know where I might find some adventure in this town?" As an afterthought, he added, "Oh, I'd like one of your ales, too."

Joe got the feeling that something wasn't quite right about the pale lad standing before him. But then, something wasn't quite right about a lot of his patrons. He mumbled a few words while drawing Boog's ale about "Through that door in the back, then the third room on your left", before apologizing for his haste. Joe was a very busy man, but after allowing for that, he liked to treat his guests well.

Boog took a sip of his ale, nodded to Joe, and left for the back room without even thanking his host for the drink. A lesser man might have felt slighted by the oversight, but Joe was just a good enough judge of character to realize that the lad was less deliberately indifferent than simply ignorant of proper drinking manners.

"Definitely something not quite right about that one", thought Joe to himself as the young man passed through the archway leading to the private dining rooms.

Animus

Explorer
Hamlir replies, "As far as the undead are concerned, they are what they are, and it's not like I knew any of them in life. And yes, I need the amulet to dispell the curse. As far as the wizard goes, he's been long dead, but his grandson is still alive, and from what I gather, out to get me. I don't understand why, but I guess he's trying to carry this thing out to completion.

"Rewards will be any loot you can get from the castle, minus the amulet of course. I believe that there are a lot of valuables there still. Nobody has ever bothered to go anywhere close to the castle as far as I know because of their fear of the curse, but I know that it only affects the bloodline, so you have no worries there. If there is nothing else, then it is best you be on your way. The castle is about two days travel due north of here, and I don't have much time."

OOC: I am reposting the last two posts in a new game thread called "Curse of House Thimbrall"

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
A gentleman with a very large hat opens the door to the tavern, tipping his hat as he goes through the doorway. He wouldn't fit otherwise. "Hello, I am Anton Brandovold, my specialty is with nature and bow--" He looks around and sees the tavern has much fewer people than before. "Hello, Joe. May I to have a drink? I am a bit tired. Yes, that one is good, thank you."

He takes his drink to a table and puts his feet up on an extra chair and sips his drink. A while later, a barmaid brings him some bread to munch on while he drinks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads