[Tavern Thread] The Dunn Wright Inn

grumblyarcher

First Post
Master Shrike did not arrive in style. He was, after all, a 'master' and not a 'lord' or even a 'sir'. Worn traveling cloak, obviously patched tunic, boots that have definitely seen better days. You could almost mistake him for just another thirsty traveller if not for a few important features. First were the ears. Despite not looking particularly elven, or even half-elven for that matter Master Shrike possessed the long pointed ears of the fair folk. Of course, they were notched and the left ended abruptly about three-fourths of the way along its length. Trophies from his days among some less than gentle siblings.

The other was the carefully wrapped bundle thrown over his shoulder. Bulky and tied with rough twine, there was no point in lying about it, such a package rarely contained anything but weapons. The elf was merely being polite enough to not carry his chosen implements of violence openly. He either trusted the occupants of the tavern enough to not feel the need for openly carried weapons or he trusted his own skill at avoiding danger even more.

With a rolling stride, he picked his way across the room toward a booth. There was supposed to be someone waiting for him here with potential work, he was fuzzy on the details but he would look forward to anything that did not involve playing lackey to the local nobility for a few days. The nobles of Venza knew so little about just what the word meant that he could barely see any relation between them and the people that raised him. Anything that could get him out of Venza itself would be even better. Of course, with his saving running desperately low, anything was better than nothing.

Aura

Explorer
Marla the Barmaid
Seeing a customer, a barmaid stops working on making place-settings in her little out-of-the-way spot at the bar. She slides off her stool and saunters over, in no particular hurry, throwing a towel over her shoulder as she walks, as if to emphasize the nearly empty nature of the inn. Her simple, utilitarian clothes indicate little wealth--spent on clothing, anyway. Smiling to the newcomer, she greets him, "Welcome to the Dunn Wright Inn. I am Marla and I'll be serving you today. If you need anything, let me know. And speaking of you," Marla examines Master Shrike further, as if to verify, before continuing, "you, I do not recognize. Not that it's required to get a drink around here, but I like to know my customers, when I get the chance."

"Like dem cute elf types!" a deep bass disembodied voice rings out from the gloom behind the bar.

Marla shoots a dirty look towards the bar, and then turns back to her customer. Attempting to recover, she offers, "So, what will you be having? Just a drink, or a full meal?"

grumblyarcher

First Post
He may have looked slightly dour on his way in but at the approach of the barmaid, Master Shrike cracked an easy smile that barely flickered at the call from the bar. "Well, ma'dam," he replied, pronouncing the honorific with an emphasis that was about fifty years out of date but charming enough all the same, "I do not typically eat out, hopefully a change in fortunes will change that as well. I will certainly not object to some company to pass the time,"

He spoke well, with a light Inner Sea accent but clear annunciation and an easy friendliness. He seemed to have none of the racial arrogance his people so often displayed or the savageness either. His relatively short hundred year history had taken him too many places already for either of those. "I would also appreciate a meal and an ale."

Last edited:

Aura

Explorer
Charity, Human Female
A young woman steps into the inn, sheathing her rapier as she does. The silvery weapon makes a click as it finally comes to rest fully in its scabbard as she scans the room, green eyes adjusting after having been outside in the sun. Walking to the bar directly, she takes a seat and fiddles with the damaged sleeve of her white poet's shirt, marred with reddish stains. She sighs dejectedly, and finally speaks. "Grog, may I have a beer, please?" She lays a couple coins on the bar and pushes them towards the inside edge.

From behind the bar, a big man rises and nods to the customer. His heritage is obvious--a mix of human and orc. Scooping up the coins with big, powerful hands, he turns and fills her a mug from one of the kegs and offers it to her, sliding it back toward the source of the coin.

The woman sits almost patiently, twirling a lock of her red hair around one finger as she waits. When the mug comes to a stop, she reaches out with both hands and takes it up, helping herself to the first sip of brew for the night. She leans back and relaxes a bit, making occasional and subdued comments to the orc-blooded bartender, who responds with a combination of words, gestures and grunts.

[sblock=Charity Mini Stats]Charity
AC: 11 (10 flat-footed, 11 touch)
HP: 42/42
CMB: +6 CMD: 17

Fort: +9 Reflex: +7 Will: +9
Perception: +9 Sense Motive: +8
Initiative: +1

Lay on Hands remaining: 6/6
Channel Energy remaining: 7/7
Smite remaining: 1/1

Current Weapon in Hand: none
Current Conditions in Effect: none
Temporary items in possession: none
Items not currently in possession: none
Items depleted: none[/sblock]

Aura

Explorer
Marla the Barmaid
"Sure thing, stranger, I'll take care of you. Ale and something to eat..." the barmaid trails off, thinking. "I'll See what Zitteaux is cooking. It's a little early in the evening yet, so no promises on having the full selection." With that, Marla heads to the back, barking out questions concerning food to whomever is back there. From the highly accented Low Landellian being shot back, the chef seems to be from one of the lesser Landadel Baronies the likely answer seems to be 'stew'.

[sblock=NPC note]Any player is allowed to use the inn NPCs as part of the flavor of their own posts, but there is no requirement to do so. This includes Marla, Grog, Zitteaux and the part time barmaid Trixie.[/sblock]

Last edited:

GlassEye

Adventurer
Qalabash Baram

[section]
There is a snort from the back of the Dunn Wright Inn common room. An older gentleman, somewhere between an aged 30 and a youthful 50, raises his head from his table where he was until recently quietly snoring. He blinks and looks around and adjusts the purple turban that has somehow fallen askew on his head. In addition to the turban (an accoutrement from Rhat'matanis) the man wears a long leather riding jacket decorated with intricate feather-work in the style of the Grasslands of the Pell over rather more typical and mundane clothing common to the Baronies. A cherry-wood staff leans against the wall next to his table.

"I would swear, were I the swearing sort, that I heard the dulcet tones of that august personage, the Ogre Prince himself. Which is, to my deep regret, impossible."

He looks around the room and specifically across the top of his table. Not finding what he searches for he reaches across to another table, recently emptied of occupants but still littered with the remains of an early dinner not yet cleared away by the serving staff, and grabs a nearly empty mug and downs the remains of someone else's ale. He makes a sour face at the bitter dregs and gives the room a more searching look.

"Bah!

With a loud sniff the man pushes himself from his seat and makes his way to the bar. He orders another drink then leans on the bar turning his body so that he can study the red-haired woman (whom he thinks he may have seen in here before) and the travel-worn stranger.

[/section]

grumblyarcher

First Post
[sblock=NPC note]I had figured as much but I wanted to get a feel for this first.[/sblock]

Perhaps he was curious to see the face of the heckler or perhaps he figured that it would be easier on Marla if he were to eat at the bar as opposed to an isolated corner of the common room, but Master Shrike collected his bundle and moved to the bar. Picking a spot a few seats away from the more obviously armed human. Idly, the elf glanced at her, reddish stains on the sleeve and the hilt of that rapier was a touch too worn to be an affectation. She could probably cut him from groin to gullet if she took offense enough to him.

The elder human currently pilfering half empty ale mugs might be a better source for an evening's entertainment while he waited for the potentially spurious acquaintance and the promise of work, "You know," Aschwin offered, "If you wanted a drink, you could have asked. I hate to see an obviously worldly fellow reduced to drinking dregs."

GlassEye

Adventurer
Qalabash Baram

[section]
The old man chuckles and taps the bar. Grog moves over and looks at him sourly then holds his hand out palm up. With a sigh the old man digs into a worn leather pouch and places a coin on the half-orc's palm. After just a brief hesitation he places a second.

"One for my soon-to-be friend, too." He looks over at elf and smiles a friendly smile. "Just needed a drop of nectar on the lips, a freshening of the mouth, a revitalization of the tongue... though that ale wasn't as fresh as I might have liked. And since you're the stranger here, permit me to supply you with one of Master Grog's potables.

I am Qalabash Baram, last of the Rundaine-Rel. Raised by the Beggar King of Cor in the withered heart of Rhat'matanis, plucked from those dust-choked streets by Olag Rel, the Ogre Prince, I have wandered shore to shore of the Sea of Grass and learned the tongue of the thunder-hoof Kholani."
The words are obviously well-rehearsed as if the man, Qalabash, has spoken them many times before.

He turns to the woman with the red-hair and his brow furrows in concentration. "And have we met before, my dear?"

[/section]

Aura

Explorer
Charity, Human Female
Being addressed breaks Charity out of her reverie and she turns to Qalabash to consider his question. "Hunh... I don't think we've met, at least not in terms of introductions and such. It was more a, 'you're walking out, I'm walking in,' sort of affair. You seemed to be with a man who had rather odd facial hair. Something like that. It was really busy that night." She pulls her left arm back towards herself while gesturing with the right, indicating the meeting room where so many people have been hired before.

Leaning back against the bar, the young Venzan gives it a little more thought. "I think there was some monk without his shirt on, too. All in all, a pretty good night." She smirks, but then changes the subject, "Anyway, my name is Charity, and I am pleased to meet you and your," Charity looks up at Aschwin, "tall friend here."

[sblock=Yay Autosave]Signed in and my post was missing. Found it in Autosave... I must have not clicked the final button. Cool, though. :)[/sblock]
[sblock=Charity Mini Stats]Charity
AC: 11 (10 flat-footed, 11 touch)
HP: 42/42
CMB: +6 CMD: 17

Fort: +9 Reflex: +7 Will: +9
Perception: +9 Sense Motive: +8
Initiative: +1

Lay on Hands remaining: 6/6
Channel Energy remaining: 7/7
Smite remaining: 1/1

Current Weapon in Hand: none
Current Conditions in Effect: none
Temporary items in possession: none
Items not currently in possession: none
Items depleted: none[/sblock]

grumblyarcher

First Post
"Aschwin Shrike," the elf said by way of polite introduction, since the last thing he wanted was people saying 'hey elf' when they wanted his attention. His family had fallen from prominence about fifty years ago so he doubted these two would recognize the name, especially in the somewhat insular city of Venza. It was part of the reason he had come here.

"Are such distractions expected in this establishment? Do I need to take my shirt off?" He said, covering his wry smile with the lip of his mug once the half-orc decided to serve him. Qalabash was proving an overly eloquent amusement in good stead. Charity struck him as interesting, no doubt he could tease a bit of distraction out of her.

"Just Charity?" He asked, changing the subject as well to keep up with her.

Remove ads