Tavern Thread: The Hanged Man

Moon_Goddess

Have I really been on this site for over 20 years!
The activity level of the tavern is now far more excited than it had been when a human couple walks in the doors. Both of them look tired and ragged despite having an air of wealth about them. The man has a portly belly and is obviously not an adventurer. The woman is attractive though not as fit as an adventurer as well.

Both of them quickly survey the crowd in the hanging man. They appear nervious.

The man speaks up first "I too am in need of the services of adventurer to recover my property...."

The woman interupts quickly "Property! Wilment what are you doing?"

"Cassandra you have to know how to address the people"

The woman now screams out to the adventures, "Please you have to help those savages have my daughter, she's only 9! What does it take to get some help!"

[Sblock="ooc"]New adventure. We're swarming with them huh...

Looking for 5 players 1st level. Standard fair defender, striker, controller, leader and one extra.

Looking for good characters who'll volonteer to save the girl but that doesn't mean there won't be rewards. [/sblock]

Last edited:

OnlytheStrong

Explorer
Shorrin rises from his stool at the bar. He moves swiftly to the new coming man and woman. "I am known as Shorrin. My arm and strength are at your service."

[sblock=ooc]

Shorring, Dragonborn Fighter 1 is at your service

[/sblock]

Mal Malenkirk

First Post
A crippled looking dwarf enters the tavern. His back is bent and he uses a battered looking hammer as a crutch. Yet he seems very vital and alert. His face is youthful but there are traces of premature gray in his black beard. He wears prominently a symbol of Eefeystos and his eyes shines with compassion for the bereaved mother.

-''Well, this just won't do. No mother should have to endure such an ordeal. My name is Hadrak, a humble servant of the Great Forger. I may seem crippled in body, but I assure you that my faith is strong enough to bring your daughter back. Failing that, it is strong enough to keep Shorrin here on his feet long enough for him to succeeds.''

The dwarf winks at Shorrin and smiles reassuringly for the mother's benefit.

[sblock]Hadrak, level 1 dwarf cleric.[/sblock]

Last edited:

JoeNotCharles

First Post
The jester nudges Seven Rabbit. "Finish up, there, the crowd's getting restless."

"Oh, uh..." says Rabbit, his train of thought broken. "Well, when Death saw that his rival had finally fallen, he started gloating and parading up and down the court calling, "You see? I am Death, and no-one can defeat me!" But Acatl picked up his brother's body and showed his wounds to Xilonen, saying, "See? He was alone on the court and none of the other players could have touched him." When she saw that her suitor was cheating, Xilonen was furious and awarded the contest to Acatl, and demanded that Death return Itzcuintl's life to him. And since Death loved her, he could not say no to her demands.

So Death took Itzcuintl's body into his temple, and wrapped it in linen sheets adorned with arcane symbols, and anointed it with rare oils and preservative spices. But again the faithful mosquito helped Acatl by spying on Death, and it when it came back it whispered to him all the rituals and spells that Death had used, so that Acatl and his descendents would in the future be able to perform the rituals himself instead of depending on Death.

When Itzcuintl was returned to them, Xilonen awarded One-Acatl's head to the brothers, and they left to return to the surface as quickly as they could before Death could devise some new treachery. And when they reached their home, they found that One-Acatl's mouth was stuffed with kernels of corn, the first ever seen in the mortal world, a gift from Xilonen for humbling Death.

So it was that the twins brought back from the underworld two great gifts - corn, the golden plant that brings bountiful harvest, gift of Xilonen, and the knowledge of mummification that brings life after death, gift of the Lord of Xibalba. And this is why it is said:

Out of Death, Life
Out of Shadow, Light
Gold on the hills
And laughter in the halls"

Seven Rabbit intones the last words in a solemn, ritualistic tone, and bows from the waist. The jester gives his words a moment to fade, then leaps on to the stage. "Well, there you go, folks - the tale of the Brothers Corn! Let's give him a hand!"

Silence again. The jester leans over to Rabbit and says, "Well, I liked it - but maybe next time you should tailor the tale to the audience a bit, hmm? I don't think that one will get much play in the sticks."

The jester does a sudden somersault and comes up with a bag of gold in hand. "And now, the moment you've all been waiting for! Which story won the hearts of the crowd? Make some noise for your favourite storyteller! Was it... Seven Rabbit with the story of the Brothers Corn and the Blessing of Death?"

A scattering of polite applause and confused muttering.

"Or was it... Petey the Weasel with the Princess in the Ice Tower?"

Petey's friends and relatives erupt into cheers, while the rest of the tavern shrugs. The jester tosses the bag to Petey. "Here you go, lad - easiest 50 gold you've ever earned!

And the rest of you - YOU could be the winner next time! The signup sheet's still here, so if you've got a story in you that's bursting to come out, sign up for next month's contest! And know a lot of you are adventurer's - we'd love to hear some PERSONAL recollections, instead of the same old folklore we've heard a thousand times before.

Oh, and in case you were paying more attention to the entertainment than to what's going on in the front of the house, I think there are two people up there recruiting adventurer's - so if you don't have any stories to tell yet, why not go up there and introduce yourself?

See you all next month!"

The jester somersaults again, right off the stage, and is lost in the crowd almost immediately. Seven Rabbit steps down as well, looking a bit disappointed, and shoulders his way towards the front. "That's harder than it looks," he mutters.

He walks up to the eladrin and warforged. "Hello, I am Seven Rabbit, astrologer and adventurer. I was busy telling a story, so I fear I did not hear your introduction. What is your problem? Perhaps I could consult the heavens for you and find if the omens for your task are auspicious."

[sblock="OOC"]
As I said before, but this time with character sheet: Seven Rabbit, level 1 dwarf warlock
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Brain

First Post
The woman now screams out to the adventures, "Please you have to help those savages have my daughter, she's only 9! What does it take to get some help!"

[Sblock="ooc"]New adventure. We're swarming with them huh...

Looking for 5 players 1st level. Standard fair defender, striker, controller, leader and one extra.

Looking for good characters who'll volonteer to save the girl but that doesn't mean there won't be rewards. [/sblock]

Vixo's ears perk up when the man says property but the woman says daughter. He remembers his time as a slave and approaches the couple. The kobold is curious if they will think him an adventurer or a "savage".

He manages in his most polite voice, "I would like to help your family be reunited. I don't know if I'll ever see mine again but maybe I can help with yours."

[Sblock="ooc"]Vixo's unaligned but this one strikes a chord with him. I'd like to join your game. Level 1 (nearing 2) rogue. link in sig[/sblock]

Vlastos

First Post
A door opens quitely at the top of the stairs behind and to the side of the main bar. Out of the shadow steps a smug young man, dressed in a well tailored travelor's outfit. His well polished boots clack softly on the stairs as he makes his way to main room. As he moves through the patrons he sees several friends and past associates.

Kruk, you son of a swamp hog, how the heck are ya, he calls out to the massive dwarf in plate from across the room? It is I, Vlastos the Wizard. Let's get drunk!

He then snags an ale from a passing waitress without waiting for a reply and continues across the room before seating himself at the table of Skalisss the Resplendent and Trevor the Grim.

Skalisss, Trevor, how then to the glory, he asks as he down much ale?

Last edited:

dimsdale

First Post
Kruk smiles and shakes his head at 7 Rabbit as he approaches the warforged and eladrin. "You are a one of many talents dwarf...if you're battle skills are as good as your story telling I think that you could do what these two want done all by yourself. I would like to come along to for the adventure if I could though."

Kruk then turns to the two. "You can count on my axe."

[sblock=OOC Don Incognito]
Forgot to mention what I am: 1st level Dwarf fighter
[/sblock]

Just then Kruk hears a familar friendly voice from the past. "No, it can't be...Vlastos!!! Haaaa HHHaaaaa It's good to see you again!" he shouts as he starts to run bumping into chairs, patrons and tables as he makes a bee line towards Vlastos. He then grabs him in a massive bear hug, accidently spill the his mug of ale. "Oops...sorry...hmmf...BAR KEEP! Two ales!"

Lord Sessadore

Explorer
Raiyek smiles at Seven Rabbit as he finishes his tale, applauding politely. "That sounded like quite the tale, Seven Rabbit. I'm sorry I missed the first part!"

The paladin looks over at the couple asking for help to rescue a young girl. A sadness fills his eyes for a moment before he regains a look of determination. My compassion goes out to them ... but I should honour my offer to these two first. I believe there are enough adventurers in this tavern that they won't go wanting, at least.

Turning back to his potential employers, he remembers that he didn't introduce himself. He does so, bowing from the waist. "Where are my manners? Raiyek Meliam, paladin of Palladys, at your service." The elf's sharp eyes look them over once again, evaluating them. An eladrin ... finely dressed, but I cannot tell if he is from the Imperium or not. In any case, I don't recognize him, so unless the portal opened again he can't be here after me. Still, caution is not to be discarded.

As he thinks he inquires about the eladrin's job. "So, what exactly does this matter entail? I should like to know before I get involved, but know that you can count on my blade and my shield arm." Nodding to Kruk, who has careened off through the crowd to join an apparent friend, Raiyek adds, "And you can count on his axe, as well, should you hire him. Kruk is a mighty and trustworthy warrior."

Dunamin

First Post
One of the new young human barmaids stand frozen in her tracks, staring enthralled at the now empty stage with a bar tray still carried with her left hand.

“Oh, that mean ol’ Death had it coming, he did! Why, what terrible manners to slay off his rivals like that, my dear ol’ Pa would have set him straight, he would!”

“Juna and Dayna bless their souls, those Valley folks sure sound like brave men, they do! Much more manly than the lot that drags their sorry hides in here,”
she adds with a “hmpf” as an afterthought, casting a disapproving look at the adventurous clientele. “Except, perhaps, for Wo-”

The maid suddenly realizes she can’t keep the weight of the tray up with one hand, considering the sizeable tankards of ale on it. She stumbles to regain control and spills ale all over the lap of a sleeping dwarf who awakens with a roar.

“Fawn, you dim-witted wench!” comes the innkeep’s voice from the back. “Stop jabbering like a teenage banshee and start earning your wage!”

Fawn collects herself, finishes her orders in embarrassment, and walks over to Seven Rabbit to leave a compliment before returning to work.
“That was simply beautiful Mister Rabbit, not even from my Ma has I heard stories like that! I do hope you spin some more tales when you return!”

[sblock=Contest]Great job Joe, you sure have some awesome story-telling skills! I’m sure the timing will be better next time with regards to other PCs that are off adventuring, but we certainly all enjoyed the stories.[/sblock]

Moon_Goddess

Have I really been on this site for over 20 years!
Shorrin rises from his stool at the bar. He moves swiftly to the new coming man and woman. "I am known as Shorrin. My arm and strength are at your service."

A crippled looking dwarf enters the tavern. His back is bent and he uses a battered looking hammer as a crutch. Yet he seems very vital and alert. His face is youthful but there are traces of premature gray in his black beard. He wears prominently a symbol of Eefeystos and his eyes shines with compassion for the bereaved mother.

-''Well, this just won't do. No mother should have to endure such an ordeal. My name is Hadrak, a humble servant of the Great Forger. I may seem crippled in body, but I assure you that my faith is strong enough to bring your daughter back. Failing that, it is strong enough to keep Shorrin here on his feet long enough for him to succeeds.''

The dwarf winks at Shorrin and smiles reassuringly for the mother's benefit.

Wilment thanks each volunteer as they approach.

Vixo's ears perk up when the man says property but the woman says daughter. He remembers his time as a slave and approaches the couple. The kobold is curious if they will think him an adventurer or a "savage".

He manages in his most polite voice, "I would like to help your family be reunited. I don't know if I'll ever see mine again but maybe I can help with yours."

The Woman Cassandra screams turning to her husband."There's one now isn't it, those things. The kobolds have my baby."

Wilment eyes the kobold rogue up and down. "What she says is true. Kobolds to the north warring with goblins hold our child captive as some sort of ransom. How do I know sending you is any better?"

[sblock="ooc"]Interesting development, didn't expect a kobold PC.....

Appologies to Don Incognitto, not trying to mess up your plans, just happened to have my game ready at the same time as yours. I'm sure their are enough PC's waiting for both of us. If it wouldn't be too many from hoofchew I'd send Larinza on your mission. [/sblock]

Last edited:

Remove ads