• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Teleportation at level 1

Neubert

First Post
How do you handle that certain races and classes are able to teleport at level 1?
Are all prisons in your world protected with a way to nullify teleportation?
What if you want a plot where the PC's are prisoners and have to come up with a plan for breaking out?

shamsael

First Post
How do you handle that certain races and classes are able to teleport at level 1?
What if you want a plot where the PC's are prisoners and have to come up with a plan for breaking out?

Eladrin are chained to the wall more than 6 squares from the bars. He can teleport out of the chains, but a guard will catch him before he can finish his short rest and teleport out of the cell.

If he has more teleport powers, then I guess he gets out.

Klaus

First Post
Line of Sight: The user of the teleportation power must have line of sight to the destination space.

No windows means no escaping.

Also, I'd say eladrins are fit with shackles around their ankles, making them slowed. Even if they teleport out, they'd still be slowed (because the shackles would teleport with them).

Mengu

First Post

If I don't want the PC's to escape so easily, yes, their captors will be sophisticated enough to protect their prison against teleportation in, out, or within.

If I want the PC's to escape their cell in the first 10 minutes, without entire sessions planning their escape, and I want the adventure to be more about stealthing, bluffing, intimidating, or fighting their way out of a complex, then I just allow the teleportation.

There is also my favorite color, grey. If I feel the captors would be sophisticated enough to have some protection against teleportation, but I want to allow it, I'll put the protection in there, and ask for maybe an arcana check to "force" your way through the protection, and/or an endurance check to weather the consequences of the attempt. Maybe a history or dungeoneering check to see if the PC has encountered or read about such protections before, could provide a bonus to the skill checks to break through.

NewJeffCT

First Post
I'd fit eladrin captives with a hood or iron mask. No line of sight, no teleportation.

I would go this route - if the captors know anything about eladrin, they would be hooded or blindfolded or similar so they could not get line of sight. Plus, put them in their own cell so no companions can help them take off the blindfold/mask.

In ZEITGEIST, a ring of gold blocks teleportation. Eladrin and mage prisoners might be put in manacles with a thin thread of gold worked into the metal. Really elite prisons actually have a ring of gold surrounding the outside of the cell and the windows.

spinmd

Fishy DM
I would normally have the prison guards gouge the eyes out of prisoners, or perhaps just kill them immediately. If the players complain that I am being unfair, I would just say, “I didn’t tell you to play <<insert teleporting race / class here>>” and move on.

:)

Pour

First Post
Honestly, I'd let him or her best mundane shackles/cells- unless the jailors were savvy enough to recognize the trouble an eladrin would pose.

Besides, just because the eladrin can escape doesn't mean they all can. If he's using an encounter power, I would allow him one use of it for this whole situation. He could escape his chains/cell, but then new pressures would arise, like obtaining the key to the rest of the cells, or intimidating the guard into helping, or, my personal favorite, taking the warden hostage until the party's release.

I've often struggled with teleporting abilities (and now in late Paragon flight), but I've kind of learned to embrace them as PC strengths and move on. Plenty of other ways to challenge those with special abilities, both in the prison scenario and beyond.

Remove ads