• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Tell me about shoggoths in your campaign

Is it just me, or has there been a progression of increasingly esoteric requests for how you've used x in your campaign? Where x is an increasingly obscure or unusual element? Is that just a weird coincidence? What's going on?

Oh, and have you used shoggoths in your campaign? If so, I'd like to hear about how. ;)

LostSoul

Adventurer
Well, I'm playing Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil with some Cthulhu flavour. Spoilers will follow.

I've switched the Elemental Temples to Cthulhu ones, giving them more flavour (except Fire) and more spooky fun. Earth is now Shub-Niggurath, and she is a harsh mistress. Anyway, I'm going to replace some of the Earth creatures - Elementals and Xorns - with Dark Young.

In the last portion of the module, the Elemental Prince of Fire gets released. At this point, I'm not sure if Fire will be successful in releasing its Prince first, or if that will fall to Water (Cthulhu), Earth (Shubby), or Air (Hastur). If Earth is successful in what it wants to do, I'll replace Prince Imix of Fire with a slightly-weakened Shoggoth. Even though Shoggoths aren't related to Shubby, they have the same sort of flavour, and the whole Mythos is meant to be mixed up and played with.

The big problem with the Shoggoth from the d20 book is that they are CR 21. You can't really use them very much. Although having all the PCs run in mad terror as a "nightmare plastic column of foetid black iridescence" oozes after them, screaming "TEKELI-LI!" the whole time, might be fun.

Aaron L

Hero
It's not just you. :)

Oh yes, I've used shoggoths. One of the characters is a barbarian from the Cold Waste at the top of the world, and was on a quest to find Magneferious the Eye, locked within the towers of Silver Night and Darkest Light, located in the icy desert. Underneath the mile wide field of stone heads that ringed the towers was a cavern with a shoggoth in it, and it was a pretty good battle to get past it.

The shoggoths are pretty much only found in the Cold Waste and the jungles of Mascadar near the Abominations prison, with a few really huge ones under the ocean.

Aaron L said:
It's not just you. :)
I didn't think so! :D

Cool stories so far, by the way. I really like that adaption of ToEE into Cthulhu country. That seems like almost a no-brainer, but it never occured to me.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Arkham Squad Campaign - d20 Modern, uses Cthonic and D&D monsters (except mind flayers - that would be silly), d20 Modern Spells, AND Cthulhu spells/rituals. The general populace freaks out every time they see something Mythos-related, and the PC's are the only ones who don't make sanity checks - which worries them even more. :)

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
In my epic Cthulhu-in-the-Realms game, there were shoggoths all over the place. The party never got to the final battle, in which the epic spell shoggoth army would have been unveiled, but they did deal with Dr. Shiny, a shoggoth lord disguised as a medieval-era psychologist and his small shoggothic horde.

Demiurge out.

Remove ads