• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Tell me about shoggoths in your campaign

Henry

Autoexreginated
Well, since you're updating, so will I. :)

In my Arkham Squad game for NC Gameday, the PCs had to stop a colony of Mi-go from freeing a Shoggoth from a crystalline prison. Had the PCs accidentally or intentionally freed the Shoggoth, fun would have resulted. :)

Perfect response, Cheiro. I'm gonna look for some thread to posirep you on now.

In using Cthulhu elements in D&D games, I've also used byakhee in the Dark•Heritage campaign. I did a one-shot at the Detroit gameday that used Hounds of Tindalos too. And I've used Deep Ones before too, although that was a while ago, and I don't remember the details.

Shemeska

Adventurer
Shoggoths? Not them, not exactly.

But in my current campaign/2nd storyhour, there have been an increasing number of illithidae and some bizarre and oftentimes tentacled beings with a strong association with Esmus, the insane former factol of the Bleak Cabal. Far Realms? Maybe. Maybe not. Maybe something else entirely. But the thematic influence is certainly there.

Of course, regardless of my mental lust for for all things planar in DnD, I'm a Lovecraft purist at heart, and it casts a long shadow in terms of inspiration. ;)

ST

First Post
In a modern occult game I ran a few years ago, Andy Warhol had one inside a camera. The PCs were strongarming him, and managed to break the camera and let the thing out. It wasn't pretty.

(Okay, it was *a* Andy Warhol, not *the* Andy Warhol, but that's another story.)

They weren't exactly sure what it was (although some of the players knew), but based on the description they made the wise move to vacate the building entirely.

WayneLigon

Adventurer
I've used them a few times, especially the version you see in the CoC adventure At Your Door, where they've learned how to create a human-like form.

Played in a Realms game with a GM who loved the Mythos: Shar was basically Nyarlathotep, and the black puddings they use in her temples were shoggoth-spawn.

mythusmage

Banned
Banned
On Dragon Earth shoggoths (aka Shambling Mounds) work in the California hills keeping down dry brush and thus minimizing the fire hazard in California's chapparel. Others work as grounds keepers for golf courses. These are but a couple of examples.

Some have tried working for sports arenas, keeping the fields in proper condition for football, soccer, and other sports. But the (for a shambling mound) enclosed spaces would trigger their claustraphobia and give them fits.

Remove ads