• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Tell me about this Martin guy.

SableWyvern

Adventurer
I've had nothing to read for ages. Actually, I've just started re-reading the Dark is Rising sequence, which isn't exactly what I call ideal fiction (not that it isn't interesting, but anyway...I'm already rambling).

So, everyone keeps talking about this Martin (was that RR Martin?) guy, and Game of Thrones or somesuch.

So, based on all the positives, and with the comments making it look like this might be the sort of author I like, I went out to pick something up around town, but he's not stocked anywhere. Anyway...just wondering what he's written and where I should start.

Wow. This is definitely the most rambling, nonsensical post I have yet posted.

:D

Furn_Darkside

First Post
Salutations,

If you are in the mood for fantasy: A Game of Thrones

If you like superheroes: Wild Cards (get book #1)

Wild Cards is a series written by a much of authors- so it is a mixed bag.

FD

Dr Midnight

Explorer
Wild Cards I did not enjoy.

Game of Thrones, however, is a banquet. The story is wonderful, and gets better with each chapter, each book. The best fantasy books- perhaps the best books period- I've ever read.

Alaric_Prympax

First Post
Martin's "A Song of Ice and Fire" is IMO the best fantasy series on the shelf (in a bookstore or in my house). This series surprised me with all the unexpected and shocking events that take place. It is the only series that I had put down for an hour because of what happened and could not believe the author would do this in his story. After the shock wore off I eagerly picked up the book to find out what else would happen. This the most enjoyable series I've read in 10 years. If you like fantasy you will love this series.

The next book (the 4th in the series) is "A Feast For Crows" and is expected in the spring of 2003 (probably April here in the US).

Is the fourth the last one? I picked up the first one at the library once, read about half of it, got swamped with finals and didn't end up picking it back up. Now I've been out of school for some time, the series has marched along and I've sworn off starting series that aren't yet complete.

Anyway, if he's finishing up the fourth (and I remember hearing at one point that this was to be a four part series?) I'm mighty interested again in starting this.

Furn_Darkside

First Post
Salutations,

The fourth will not be the last.

He has hinted atleast 2 or 3 more.

And considering he decided to do this one at the last moment, he had intended to skip the time involved in the 4th book, who knows if he may add more books as he goes on.

FD

Alaric_Prympax

First Post
The 4th one was going to be "A Dance with Dragons". There was going to be a 5 year gap between books 3 & 4 which he was going to cover in flashbacks but it became too much so he decided to write it in a book of its' own and thus "A Feast for Crows".

Book 5 is now "A Dance with Dragons"
Book 6 should be titled "A Time for Wolves"
Book 7 should be titled "The Winds of Winter"

At least those are the titles that I've heard. I might have the titles of Books 6 & 7 mixed up, sorry if I do.

"A Game of Thrones" and "A Clash of Kings" originally were going to be one novel but that would have been too big to publish as a single book, so I heard. When I first learned about this series I thought it was going to be just another trilogy but obviously it's not. I can't wait for the spring. GRRM has said that he wants to keep this series to 6 books but with AFfC I think it'll be seven (and 7 is an important number in the series but GRRM said that's just a coincidence) because he still has the same story to say before he decided that AFfC was necessary. He has said that he doesn't want the series to drag on and on too much like another popular fantasy series which seems to be never ending.

This series is not just another fantasy series, just when you thought you know where the story is going to go it goes someplace completely unexpected, to say anything more would be too much. It's a great read. As long as the quality remains high I don't care how many books it takes to tell this story, but that's just MO.

Sidran

First Post
George RR Martin is a very good writer.
I haver read all three of his ASoF&I books, and his Collaberative Windhaven which on its own was a good book. Also he has a short story in the Legends set edited by R. Silversberg Titled Onion Knight if I am remembering right.

Yes A game of the Thrones is first
then Clash of Kings
and Sea of Swords

Another series you might try if you haven't read them already is the Runelords series by Dave Farland. It is a very unique fantasy world with its own ideas about magic. I would highly recomend reading the books.

* Runelords 1st in series
* Brotherhood of the Wolf 2nd in the series
* Wizard born 3rd In the series

* There is a four book either on the way or nearing completion for Hard cover printing dont know the date. Only frustrating thing about the series is that for some unknown reason the third books paperback has been held up from being delivered to the store.

Also I would highly recomend Rhapsody by Elizabeth Haydon
Though the first book is a little slow it gets better towards the end, and the second book Prophecy picks up and runs well into the third book Destiny. She also will be putting out a new book in the same world some time this November.

Also A Song for Arrabonne ( I think I spelled that right) by Guy Gavriel Kayes (one of the editors of the Simarillion 1st Editon) A story set in a mideaval french like world, alot to do with music, bards, and religious war.

If you can stomach some inconsistent writing John Marco writes the Jackal of Nar series which has good solid fantasy Ideas but when not in a battle description fails to maintain the quality of writing. I didnt finish the first book, read it at Barnes & Nobles are where ever you can but don't spend money until your sure youll like it

Last edited:

King_Stannis

Explorer
Sidran said:
George RR Martin is a very good writer.
I haver read all three of his ASoF&I books, and his Collaberative Windhaven which on its own was a good book. Also he has a short story in the Legends set edited by R. Silversberg Titled Onion Knight if I am remembering right...

i haven't read it yet, but i think it's called "the hedge knight".

and any fantasy fiction fan - hell, any fan of good fiction - needs to read this series. it's the most defining work for this genre since LotR. "A Song of Ice and Fire" is a masterpiece by a very, very good writer.

Remove ads