• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Tell me about your D&D group

Whitemouse

Banned
Banned
How long has your group been playing together?
We've been playing since 2001, two to four times a month.

What are the ages, genders, and professions of the people in your group?
28, Male, College Student
28, Male, Restaurant Host
33, Male, Pizza Delivery
32, Female, Librarian
32, Female, Software Engineer
36, Female, Secretary
37, Female, Accountant

What edition are you playing?
Fourth Edition.

Last edited:

Hussar

Legend
Current group has been playing together for 1 year (although three of us have been playing for almost 4 year together)

Currently consists of 4 guys and 1 girl.

2 high school students (age about 18)
1 Uni student (age about 24)
1 Tech support worker (age about 24)
1 Small business owner (age about 35)

Currently playing 3.5 edition.

Whitemouse

Banned
Banned
I also host a game for my son which has been going on for two and a half years.

9, Male, Elementary School Student
32, Female, Software Engineer

3.5 Edition with House Rules.

Last edited:

Wormwood

Adventurer
Thursday game
Number: 7
Playing time: The core four members have been gaming together for over 15 years, the remaining three joined upwards of 7 years ago.
Professions: I'm a graphic designer, the rest are all in IT to one degree or another.
Edition: 4e all the way, baby.

Sunday game
Number: 5
Playing time: 1½ years
Professions: graphic designer (me again), two homemakers (the chicks), and two network administrators.
Edition: 4e is the only reason this group even exists.

That One Guy

First Post
I am doing little impromptu questionnaire cross posted from here and could use your help. :D

Tell me:
(ctrl-x + ctrl-v)
Thanks
How long has your group been playing together? I just moved, and found a new group. One week. (The groups I played in previously had been playing together for 8 and 4 years, respectively)

What are the ages, genders, and professions of the people in your group? New group: 22,22,23,(and two more 23s?). All dudes. Grad student, undergrad student, some engineers... and another guy?
Old group: four 22's and one 21 dude. One guy works in customer service, one guy's job hunting, grad student and two undergrads.
Other old group: two ladies, 22 & 21, five dudes: 21,22,23,23 and 26. One target employee, one publix employee, two subway employees, one job hunter, one undergrad, and one grad student.

What edition are you playing? 4th. In all three groups.

Last edited:

mhacdebhandia

Explorer
I have to preface my answers with a statement: I don't have a single "gaming group" the way some people do. The people I game with are drawn from among my social circle in general, people of ages varying from 20 to 30 or so. I met all of these people through university - the gaming club SUTEKH providing the venue - or through other friends of mine bringing them into my social circle.

So, when I talk about the D&D group with which I play now, I'm talking about a group of people put together by the DM specifically for the purpose of the D&D game he's running. One of them I had only really known as a friend of the DM's before; another I had never met; one is my wife; the DM and the remaining guy have been friends of mine for about five years.

Since the 10th of July, 2008.

Our group consists of four men and one woman. Ages range from 26 to 30. Professionally:
  • Engineer working in traffic infrastructure (master's degree in traffic planning)
  • Software developer working in social networking software (PhD in computer science)
  • Manager of an EB Games videogame store
  • Unemployed (disability)
  • Artist/graphic designer/homemaker (my wife; she plans to go back to art school in the near future)
  • Random office guy working in veterinary pharmaceuticals (me; I plan to go back to university for my PhD in religious studies or anthropology within the near future)
Fourth Edition Dungeons & Dragons.

The other regular game I play in, by contrast, is a Fourth Edition GURPS game which has been running for over a year, and only shares one player with the D&D game other than me; until recently, when one of the players went to MIT for his PhD, I was running a revised Third Edition D&D game which converted to Fourth Edition, with my wife and three other people as players.

Basically, in my social circle, there are way too many gamers for there to be any such thing as a "regular game group" that are the only people with whom you play.

cthulhu_duck

First Post
How long: Four of us have been playing together since 2001, with other players coming and going. The most recent addition was this year and brought our current number in the group to seven.

Ages, genders and professions: Mostly 30-somethings, with two 20-somethings. All male. Professions mostly in IT excepting our Chemist.

Edition: 3.5 with a small number of house rules, elements from Unearthed Arcana and selected options from the expansion books (Completes etc).

The Lost Muse

First Post

We have been playing together since May.

Ages range from 19 - 36. The younguns are in college or university, and we work in a range of sectors from labor to service. One of us is a lawyer.

4e d&d, with some 3.5 on the side, and we are talking about rolemaster, wfrp, gurps, and m&m.

Thanks

Korgoth

First Post
I am doing little impromptu questionnaire cross posted from here and could use your help. :D

Tell me:

Thanks

Group 1:

How Long - One year or slightly over.

Composition -
male 30s computer engineer / manager (DM)
male 30/40s computer engineer / manager
male 40s medical professional
female 20s homemaker
male 30s Ph.D. student (me)

Edition - Mentzer Classic (1983)

Group 2:

How Long - Almost 3 weeks!

Composition -
male 30s Ph.D. student (me)
male 40s famous TSR artist now an artist/designer
female 30s... unsure of profession
male 40s Latin professor (semi-retired)
female 30s/40s state functionary
male 50s Genetics professor
male 30s computer scientist
(may soon add another female 40s/50s retail business owner)

Edition - Empire of the Petal Throne (1975)

Iron Sky

Procedurally Generated
Anyone else find this thread fascinating? Very interesting to see all the different group compositions and all the different types of people who play.

My group(s): Our group formed before I got there, maybe 1992-3? I joined in 1994 or so in middle school. The composition has changed around a bit as some of us have gone to college/come back, gone off in pursuit of various professions, but it's still "the guys." We have one group that meets Saturday nights and I'll be starting up a group online in October so we can play with a couple of guys that moved to another state. All are male.

Main game, started up again about 3 mo ago after last game ended:
24, returning university student(DM)
26, paperboy(paperman? Newspaper Delivery Person)
24ish, <profession unknown, ex-military> Paperman's brother, joined us for the new game
26, math/physics tutor/substitute teacher
26, taekwondo instructor/painter/flash game designer+developer

Online game group composition isn't finalized, but has:
DM + 1 from main game
25, Navy Image Analyst
26, professional Chef(once he finishes culinary school in 3 weeks anyway).

Edit: Group 1 playing "pure" 4E, new group using 4E RAW/RAI unchanged, but with almost all the fluff changed.

Would be cool to see some statistics generated out of this.

Last edited:

Remove ads