• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Tell me what to buy!

Nonlethal Force

First Post
librarius_arcana said:
Complete Adventurer, What no! lol, most of the Complete series is just fluff and a waste of time :\

One person's opinion. The great thing about books is that I seldom find any a waste of time. I find some not worth dumping my money on, but every book I pick up I can glean something off of. But then again, I DM a flexible homebrew that is always looking for interesting elements.

I won't rain on your parade. Its great that you got free funds and I think you'll enjoy your choices - although I've never read Dynasties and Demagogues. Have fun, tell us what you think when they get delivered!

Aus_Snow

First Post
Complete Adventurer is one of the best WotC D&D 3.5 books, IMO. It is certainly the best 'Complete' book, according to many (including several reliable reviewers).

Dynasties & Demagogues is one of the most useful d20 fantasy books (IF there is any chance of that type of book being useful in the first place, natch).

PHBII I'm not anywhere near as familiar with, but it has some interesting things in it, and could be quite a lot of use for a fairly wide variety of players.

Nice choices! :)

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
I passed over Complete adventurer, until it as given to me as a gift. The feats, spells, equipment have all showed up in my games. I really like the PBHII and it has gotten a lot of use. dynastys and demegogs - havent heard of this one for a while, and have no personal experance.

Nonlethal Force

First Post
librarius_arcana said:
Well, not really

And all because they arn't vocal doesn't mean there are not more poeple who think the same,

Okay, let me try this from a different angle. I mean this seriously, not snarky, okay?

You are welcome to your opinion. But could you please post more about it than just your opinion? If nothing else, I'd love to learn from your experience about why you hate the books. I personally love 'em. Diaglo's opinions are largely taken into account because most of the time he backs up his opinions with an informed voice ... but he's the expert on what? OD&D? [I mean that seriously, diaglo. Dude, kudos for sticking to a system so long. You get the Stalwart Player Award (SPA), seriously!]

Tell me what you don't like about it. Tell me why you think it is crap. That way, even if I continue to love it I can understand when someone comes into my games and may have a dislike for it!

I was never trying to antagonize you, just post more than your opinion! Back it up with legitimate reasons that you don't like it so that we can all benefit from your opinion.

Thanks.

Thanee

First Post
Piratecat said:
I've noticed that no one is recommending the "Complete" books. I never got around to buying them myself; should I?

Yes. They are the most basic addition to the core rules and add many important features from a mechanical point of view (feats, prestige classes, spells, though there is Spell Compendium to take care of that).

Bye
Thanee

Nyaricus

First Post
Piratecat said:
I've noticed that no one is recommending the "Complete" books. I never got around to buying them myself; should I?
Com Arc and Com Adven are both worth their weight in gold, IMO. Com War has three terrible base classes, but some nice PrCs, and Com Div has (again) has three terrible [okay, I admit it, I've never looked over the shujenga!] classes and a bunch of semi-useful PrCs.

I gave the Favoured Soul in my group a single domain, and let'r rip from there, but that swashbuckler class in Com War is the best 3 level class you'll ever see, IMO. Bleah. :\

cheers,
--N

Torx said:
Thanks all for your helpful replies.

I ended up going with the Player's Handbook II (since nearly everyone recommended it), the Complete Adventurer, and Dynasties and Demagogues.

I ended up paying a little over $3 thanks to taxes. That's pretty good, methinks.

Those are a nice range of choices. You should have fun with that.

Olaf the Stout

Remove ads