• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Tell me your tale about the Tomb of Horrors

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Well, one thing is clear; Mark definitely posts with style.

Ahem.

Back in high school, my friend decided to stick his head in and look around when they got to the big black sphere in the devil's mouth. I heard about it afterwards, and couldn't stop laughing.

robertliguori

First Post
Eh. As long as you treat it as a tournament dungeon and not something that actually exists in a world, ToH is fun.

When you treat it like something that exists in a world, you get players who carefully strip-mine the place, disassemble it stone by stone and disintegrate the stones, and then cap it off by hurling a rod of cancellation into the sphere of annihilation trap, then carve "We are sentient. Dungeons are not. Dungeons lose." into the bedrock in letters readable by dragons flying by in the upper atmosphere.

Or maybe that's just my players.

rossik

Explorer
robertliguori said:
When you treat it like something that exists in a world, you get players who carefully strip-mine the place, disassemble it stone by stone and disintegrate the stones, and then cap it off by hurling a rod of cancellation into the sphere of annihilation trap, then carve "We are sentient. Dungeons are not. Dungeons lose." into the bedrock in letters readable by dragons flying by in the upper atmosphere.

mm...looks like bad winners :D

dfan

First Post
I ran this 25 years ago in 1st edition (and don't remember a thing about it), and then again a year ago when the 3.5 conversion was released. The group actually only had one death; at the end they cast Wall of Stone in the vault to wall in the skull, and grabbed the treasure (most of which at this point was clothes and possessions they had lost going through arches).

The best scene was when they killed the fake Acererak. The druid's ape companion had run up and grabbed the coffer by the lich's couch, and was immediately paralyzed by the lich. Once the lich died and the fake earthquake started, the druid stabbed the ape through the heart so he could pry the coffer loose before high-tailing it along with everyone else. Everyone was in such a panic that most of them didn't even realize the ape was no longer with them until half an hour later, when it came out that in order to get his hands on some treasure the druid fatally stabbed his own ape, who wasn't even going to die anyway because the earthquake was fake. As the druid put it when confronted by the rest of his disbelieving party, "We can all agree that mistakes were made. Let's move along here."

DM-Rocco

Explorer
dfan said:
I ran this 25 years ago in 1st edition (and don't remember a thing about it), and then again a year ago when the 3.5 conversion was released. The group actually only had one death; at the end they cast Wall of Stone in the vault to wall in the skull, and grabbed the treasure (most of which at this point was clothes and possessions they had lost going through arches).

The best scene was when they killed the fake Acererak. The druid's ape companion had run up and grabbed the coffer by the lich's couch, and was immediately paralyzed by the lich. Once the lich died and the fake earthquake started, the druid stabbed the ape through the heart so he could pry the coffer loose before high-tailing it along with everyone else. Everyone was in such a panic that most of them didn't even realize the ape was no longer with them until half an hour later, when it came out that in order to get his hands on some treasure the druid fatally stabbed his own ape, who wasn't even going to die anyway because the earthquake was fake. As the druid put it when confronted by the rest of his disbelieving party, "We can all agree that mistakes were made. Let's move along here."
I actually had a party rest and cast disintegrate on the illusion of the cave in just to get to the loot. It was really funny. They asked me why I couldn't stop laughing and smiling to myself. It took them months of resting and casting of spells to get through the illusion. Not one of them tried True Sight. :D :p :lol:

Crothian

First Post
robertliguori said:
Eh. As long as you treat it as a tournament dungeon and not something that actually exists in a world, ToH is fun.

I have never ran it as a tournament module. Each time I run it has been part of a year plus campaign and it has worked out really well. :D

Remove ads