D&D General Tell Us About Your Gnolls! [+]

Reynard

Legend
ETA: Threads merged so push through the confusion!

Because @Charlaquin asked, let's have a gnoll thread! This is a + thread because what we aren't going to do here is have yet another argument about "inherently evil" races. Instead we are going to share our vision of gnolls in our D&D worlds. That may include anthropomorphic hyena demons, but it may also include doofy good bois. Let's not fight over which is okay, please and thank you.

I have only ever used gnolls in an important capacity in one campaign. They started out as a villain race, having hunted and eaten the gnomes of the world to extinction, but over time they got the "klingon treatment" and kind of evolved into Germanic honorable warrior wolf people. Kind of. There was a important heroic gnoll NPC in that campaign and a PC in the follow up campaign (the next generation in the same town and region).

Last edited:

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Spinning off from a tangent in another thread, it seems like there’s some interest in discussing ways to reimagine gnolls as a more nuanced humanoid species instead of fiendish embodiments of ravenous consumptive urges. As a disclaimer, I’m not trying to say that WotC or anyone else should necessarily take this approach, nor am I interested in making this thread about whether or not always-evil species should be a thing in D&D generally. Everyone can and should run their games the way they like, but since there are at least some folks interested in discussing a different approach to gnolls specifically, so that’s what this thread is for.

As an additional disclaimer, I want this thread to be an open discussion. Anyone with ideas about different ways to depict gnolls they would like to share is welcome to do so here. Take it more as a brainstorming session than a “here’s how I think it should be done.”

Third and final thing I want to get out of the way: in the other thread that this one is spinning off from, I mentioned that a lot of trans women identify with spotted hyenas, which a couple people were curious about. I’m not sure it’s really appropriate to get into the details of why here, but very briefly: female spotted hyenas have a particular anatomical feature that a lot of trans women can relate to. You can easily read up on spotted hyena anatomy on Wikipedia if you want to know the details, but it has to do with their sex characteristics, so use your own discretion if that kind of thing is unappealing to you.

Ok, disclaimers out of the way, how do I depict gnolls in my home games? Well, I lean on spotted hyena pack dynamics. Spotted hyenas group together in large familial packs (called “clans,”) of about 80 or less, which are typically led by a female (which are typically larger and stronger than the males), and social status is inherited matrilineally - pups inherit the rank directly below their mothers at birth. So, generally the pecking order typically starts with the largest, most dominant female, followed by her female pups, then her male pups, then the next most dominant female, and so on. Males are typically bullied out of their natal clans when they reach adulthood and move to other clans to find mates, where they occupy the lowest ranks. Of course, all of this is just the typical behavior, as always there are exceptions, and there have been observed cases of clans co-led by a male and female, and even led by a lone male, but it’s relatively rare.

So, what do I do with this information? I take the “extreme matriarchy” shtick from drow and give it to gnolls instead. Like spotted hyenas, my gnolls typically live in nomadic clans, typically led by women, and have kind of an Amazon thing going on where the men are treated, not necessarily as breeding stock, but they are sort of traded off between clans to insure genetic diversity. Though, some men do attain more prominent social positions, if they fight hard enough to achieve and defend them. Also, it should go without saying, but this is all learned social behavior, not inherent genetic tendencies. And since they tend to live in familial clans, there is plenty of room for more egalitarian clans, especially in cases where a man managed to climb his way to the top and then used his power to make positive change to his clan’s traditions and practices.

How about gnoll adventures? Well, as with old-school drow, there’s plenty of room for the male gnoll who became an adventurer as a path to escape his oppressive clan, or the female who rejected her clan’s ways and abandoned them. Another angle I really like though goes back again to spotted hyena social behavior - see, mated pairs of hyenas will generally take time away from the clan to, well, mate, and to birth the pups. So, I am particularly fond of the idea that gnolls have a cultural custom of sending young adults out adventuring, with the expectation that they will meet a partner and then come back with children. Obviously this is a concept that requires a bit of buy-in from players, but I think it’s pretty cool, and can at least be used with NPCs.

Ok, I think that’s going to be it for this post from me, but feel free to ask if you have any questions about my gnolls, and by all means, please share any ideas you all might have, either for alternative takes, or that you think might make cool additions to this one!

Last edited:

ichabod

Legned
Gnolls in my world were created by an evil god to be his servants. But they rebelled and were instrumental in the destruction of that god. Some gnolls still follow the dark path, and want to bring back the dead god; but the vast majority have no interest in such endeavors, and just want to live their lives in peace. Unfortunately there are some non-gnolls who cannot let go of the past, and mistrust all gnolls because of it.

Reynard

Legend
Copying from the thread I started simultaneously:

I have only ever used gnolls in an important capacity in one campaign. They started out as a villain race, having hunted and eaten the gnomes of the world to extinction, but over time they got the "klingon treatment" and kind of evolved into Germanic honorable warrior wolf people. Kind of. There was a important heroic gnoll NPC in that campaign and a PC in the follow up campaign (the next generation in the same town and region).

MGibster

Legend
I’m not sure it’s really appropriate to get into the details of why here, but very briefly: female spotted hyenas have a particular anatomical feature that a lot of trans women can relate to.
As soon as you mentioned that in the other thread it dawned on me as to why and it makes sense. But I hate hyenas. Hyenas and baboons both. Trans people are pretty dope though.

So, what do I do with this information? I take the “extreme matriarchy” shtick from drow and give it to gnolls instead. Like spotted hyenas, my gnolls typically live in nomadic clans, typically led by women, and have kind of an Amazon thing going on where the men are treated, not necessarily as breeding stock, but they are sort of traded off between clans to insure genetic diversity.
I like your Gnolls and am interested in subscribing to your newsletter.

dave2008

Legend
I am briefly breaking my self-imposed enworld ban to post so I will not go into great detail, but gnolls are one of my favorite D&D races. I've never used them in a particularly nuanced way myself (using the typical depiction with a PC being an outlier if needed). However, I love the ideas you are working with @Charlaquin, particularly they adventurer idea.

IIRC Keith Bakers playable gnolls are pretty interesting. He talks about them on his blog here: Gnolls and the Znir Pact, and of course the are a playable race in his DMsGuild: Exploring Eberron

EDIT: There is also "Playing Gnolls" in Dragon 366, also by Keith Baker

I will return to the shadows, but keep an eye on this thread. Thank you for starting it!

Last edited:

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I am briefly breaking my self-imposed enworld ban to post so I will not go into great detail, but gnolls are one of my favorite D&D races. I've never used them in a particularly nuanced way myself (using the typical depiction with a PC being an outlier if needed). However, I love the ideas you are working with @Charlaquin, particularly they adventurer idea.

IIRC Keith Bakers playable gnolls are pretty interesting. He talks about them on his blog here: Gnolls and the Znir Pact, and of course the are a playable race in his DMsGuild: Exploring Eberron

EDIT: There is also "Playing Gnolls" in Dragon 366, also by Keith Baker

I will return to the shadows, but keep an I on this thread. Thank you for starting it!
Big fan of that Dragon article as well! I definitely use elements of it in my own gnolls.

Gnolls featured early on in my current campaign, and I have thought them a bit, but they're not super developed, so I might steal some ideas from this thread.

Gnolls of Artra are not really "hyena people" any more than humans are "macaque people," meaning that whilst they share some characteristics with hyenas and are probably distantly related to them (or related to hydonts really, closest equivalent of hyena Artra has) they are really their own thing. They are naturally occurring bipedal carnivora that in appearance somewhat resemble Terran hyenas and canines.

Unlike humans who are omnivores, gnolls are pure carnivores, so agriculture is worthless to them. They have superior senses and are skilled hunters who live in mobile packs of various sizes.

Gnolls obviously are not "evil" but they sometimes compete with human hunter-gatherers and nomadic herders which might cause conflict. Also gnoll diet is something that humans might find distasteful. For gnolls hunting is a sacred act, and to them it is very important to live in balance with the nature. Thus everything they kill, they will also eat, as doing otherwise would be wasteful and show disrespect to the nature spirits. Gnolls also eat their dead comrades so that even in death they may strengthen the pack. Gnolls find human practices of burying perfectly serviceable meat wasteful and disrespectful towards the dead.

In my campaign there was a conflict between a human tribe and a gnoll pack the characters stumbled into. There were people on both sides who wished to escalate and those who wanted to return to earlier more harmonious coexistence. The gnoll pack had recently been taken over by a gnoll warlock aligned with a hidden elder being, and their followers were more stereotypical "fiendish D&D gnolls," but once the PCs learned the true state of the affairs they worked with those gnolls who were not happy with this leadership change to take down the warlock and repair the relationship between the gnolls and the humans.

At no point I described gnolls the characters interacted with to be of any specific gender, as to the orcs and humans the gnoll genders are not particularly easy to distinguish. I'd imagine gnolls having pretty gender neutral society, though the matriarchy idea could work too.

We haven't seen gnolls in the while, but I think the characters are heading back to the area gnolls are more common, so we might meet them again then.

Last edited:

Remove ads