Tempest Fighter Build (lvl2)

Elric

First Post
I made a Dwarf Tempest Fighter 2 who uses an Urgosh (AV) recently. I haven't had a chance to play him yet, but he looks like a lot of fun.

Thorgrim Axeforger
Dwarf Fighter 2 (Tempest Technique)
Str: 16
Con: 15
Dex: 14
Int: 10
Wis: 16
Cha: 8

Feats: Two Weapon Defense (bonus), Dwarven Weapon Training, Warrior of the Wild (Perception)

At-Wills: Dual Strike, Footwork Lure
Encounter: Funneling Fury
Utility: Pass Forward
Daily: Villain’s Menace

Trained Skills: Athletics, Dungeoneering (see background), Endurance, Perception

Equipment: +1 Urgosh, +1 Dwarven Chain Mail, Standard Adventurer’s Kit, 3 Handaxes

Background (PH II): Geography—Mountains (Benefit: add Dungeoneering to class skills), Occupation—Artisan (Blacksmith)

Thorgrim Axeforger was born to a long line of blacksmiths in the mountain city of Calzak. As tradition dictated, he followed in the footsteps of his father and his father’s fathers before him by becoming a smith in the family business.

Thorgrim was also interested in using the fruits of his labor, swinging axes as well as creating them. This distressed his father, who considered basic knowledge of axeplay useful to the business of constructing proper axes, but viewed extensive training in the axe for a young dwarf as a waste of valuable hours that could be spent mastering the forge. “A forger good at axeplay is a great forger wasted” went the saying, which sounds better in the original Dwarven.

Nevertheless, Thorgrim became a volunteer orc-fighter, joining a group of professionals that patrolled the city borders for orcs encroaching on dwarven lands. As Calzak was in a well-defended area, there was little danger of an orc-invasion, but small groups of orcs would occasionally infiltrate and try to rob merchant caravans. Truth be told, at first his orc-fighter unit mainly valued him for the discounts he got them at the smithy, but he was a quick study in both axe-fighting and learning the ways of the underground terrain, and soon he could contribute on his own.

Then disaster struck. One night, after entirely too much ale, a newly overconfident Thorgrim challenged Darrak Stonebeard, a haughty dwarf of noble upbringing, to a game of “axes”, much like the human game “darts.” The stakes started low but after losing the first game Thorgrim called for double or nothing, which Darrak accepted. Then after losing another game he did it again... Pretty soon, Thorgrim was nearly broke. “By Moradin’s hammer!” he swore. “One more game, and if I lose it, I will go into a year of exile in shame!” The next day, Thorgrim did exactly that.

Thorgrim is solid even by dwarf standards, standing at 4’8” and weighing 200 lbs. He is reluctant to discuss the circumstances that led him to the human lands, though if asked he will shake his head and reminisce about “the evils of drink.” He treasures his urgosh and chainmail armor, family heirlooms crafted by his grandfather and blessed by priests of Moradin, and given to him by his father upon his departure. Only 10 ½ months to go…

Pickles JG

First Post
I made a Dwarf Tempest Fighter 2 who uses an Urgosh (AV) recently. I haven't had a chance to play him yet, but he looks like a lot of fun.

Remember to push your Dex by 1 to get Rain of blows, though this puts about all the things I think are a bit broken into one character. Tempest itself is on the edge - tempest technique & dual strike makes them too close to striker damage & free 2 weapon defence makes them lose very little defence, Double weapons are outside the power curve cf anyother weapons good & Tempest technique makes this more so plus Urgosh & Double sword qualify for Rain of blows. Rain of Blows itself is markedly the most damaging martial power up to about level 23.

Still the other powers do less damage than a Ranger :)

Last edited:

Elric

First Post
Remember to push your Dex by 1 to get Rain of blows, though this puts about all the things I think are a bit broken into one character. Tempest itself is on the edge - tempest technique & dual strike makes them too close to striker damage & free 2 weapon defence makes them lose very little defence, Double weapons are outside the power curve cf anyother weapons good & Tempest technique makes this more so plus Urgosh & Double sword qualify for Rain of blows. Rain of Blows itself is markedly the most damaging martial power up to about level 23.

Still the other powers do less damage than a Ranger :)

The DM essentially ruled double weapons down a damage dice for my purposes (d10/d6 for Urgosh), which keeps them more in line with other weapons. I wouldn't try to take Rain of Blows in its present form; it's far too powerful for a level 3 encounter power (it should be more like a level 23 encounter power, as you mention).

invokethehojo

First Post
I just looked at rain of blows... I don't play defenders ( mostly strikers) so could someone tell me why it is broken and the equivalent of a 23rd level power?

invokethehojo

First Post
4 attacks? Isn't it 3 attacks?

It says:

Secondary Attack: Strength vs. AC

Nothing about two attacks in the second attack.

Ya, so it's not that great sounding to me. Sure potentially 3 weapon damage plus modifiers x 3.... but also the chances all three attacks will hit isn't very high

Elric

First Post
4 attacks? Isn't it 3 attacks?

It says:

Secondary Attack: Strength vs. AC

Nothing about two attacks in the second attack.

Rain of Blows is 2-4 attacks. See here, and also the "Reading a power" section of PH-II (pg 219), which makes this quite clear.

It's much too good at single target damage to be a level 3 encounter power, and it's on a defender to boot. For example, a Ranger-Stormwarden build on WotC's character optimization board takes Novice Power for it: Stormwarden - Wizards Community (though AV has exacerbated the power of multi-attack powers by adding too many static bonuses to damage). Edit: I should mention that said Stormwarden build keeps Rain of Blows until level 29, and only swaps it out then for Trip-Up (MP) because of the incredible synergy with the Ranger's Follow-Up Blow.

Last edited:

Pickles JG

First Post
Ya, so it's not that great sounding to me. Sure potentially 3 weapon damage plus modifiers x 3.... but also the chances all three attacks will hit isn't very high

It is after an action point with a Tactical Warlord in the field plus Warlord's Favour plus Villain's Menace. My level 3 Warlord & a level 4 Tempest did 190 damage in two actions (blowing 2 Dailies & 2 APs in the process plus RoB which did about 2/3 of it). An honourable mention goes to the Cleric who Righteous Branded me to help set it up.

Remove ads