• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Tempest

Lord Bison

First Post
Ok so im having trouble with my DM. I have 2 +4 large kukiri and im a medium creature, but i have the TWF feat ITWF and GTWF and monkey grip i have also taking the tempest class. So my problem is we are fighting over what the plus or minus would be for all four of my attacks for my first BAB

I believe that the bonuses/penalties should be...

-4 / -4 (two weapon fighting, off hand weapon is not light) -2 / -2 (monkey grip) +4 / +4 (+4 kukiris)...

So your first attacks will be at BAB+Str-2. If you are at least a 2nd level Tempest, then they will be at BAB+Str-1. If you are at least a 4th level Tempest, then at BAB+Str.

Lord Bison

First Post
I believe that the bonuses/penalties should be...

-4 / -4 (two weapon fighting, off hand weapon is not light) -2 / -2 (monkey grip) +4 / +4 (+4 kukiris)...

So your first attacks will be at BAB+Str-2. If you are at least a 2nd level Tempest, then they will be at BAB+Str-1. If you are at least a 4th level Tempest, then at BAB+Str.

Yes but with monkey grip if you wield a large creatures light weapon is becomes a medium creatures light weapon. this is what i got to start i take a -4 for wielding a large creatures light weapon but i have monkey grip which lessens the penalty by 2 making it -2 instead of -4. Now i have TWF and and thanks to monkey grip these my kukiri are considered a medium creatures light weapon so its the standard -2/-2 plus the -2 for the oversized weapon making it -4/-4. for that i answered with the class tempest. i have taking all 5 levels so no im am again at -2/-2 the penalty for oversized weapons and the fact that they are +4 kukiri set me at +2 for my main hand strike, +2 for my first of hand strike, -3 for my third, and -8 for my fourth. WELL um... thanks anyway but i think i figured it out.

Dandu

First Post
You could make it easier on yourself by trading in Monkey Grip for a better feat and avoiding the issue that way.

Last edited:

Mand

First Post
Oversized TWF feat, Complete Adventurer. Treats one-handed weapons as light in the offhand. Your Large kukris are one-handed weapons when wielded by a medium char, so your TWF penalty is -2/-2. You no longer have any monkey business, so it becomes a straightforward TWF calculation.

No Tempest
Mainhand: BAB - 2(twf) + 4(enh bonus) + str
Offhand: BAB - 2(twf) + 4(enh bonus) + str

Tempest 2
Mainhand: BAB - 1(twf) + 4(enh bonus) + str
Offhand: BAB - 1(twf) + 4(enh bonus) + str

Tempest 4
Mainhand: BAB + 4(enh bonus) + str
Offhand: BAB + 4(enh bonus) + str

Er, after rereading the weapon size entry you'll have a -2 penalty when using a large kukri, something that monkey grip doesn't reduce. I've never understood that, really - the only difference between a shortsword, longsword, and greatsword are the size category. A large shortsword is a medium longsword - they have identical stats. In your case, you've got Kukri and Scimitar.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads