• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Temporary Hit Points...en masse?!

Psyduck

First Post
This came up last session, and is still unresolved...

Our Sorcerer casted false life on himself, gaining 14 temporary hit points. He tried again to cast it, but the DM said that the spell says you can only get a maximum of 1d10 + 10; you can't cast it and gain another. Is this correct? Could you stack two false life spells???

He then summoned a hound arcon, and the arcon casted aid on him. Our DM said that he already has temporary hit points. We were all amazed and never considered it before. Do temporary hitpoints stack?

If anyone knows of a good logical explanation either way, please post.

If anyone can find an official ruling in a published book, please post which one and the page number.

Thanks for all the help in advance!

pontus

First Post
The FAQ, page 26.
In general, any effect that allows you to gain temporary hit points over time allows you to stack those points, but only those points. For example, if you use the vampiric touch spell, the temporary hit points you gain from that particular casting of the spell stack. They don't stack with the temporary hit points you get from an aid spell, nor would the effects of two vampiric touch or aid spells stack...

nsruf

First Post
I am to lazy to read it all up, but IIRC, the following points are relevant:

1. you cannot have the same spell in effect on you more than once

2. temporary hp are not a bonus, so they usually stack

From this, I would say that you only get the temporary hp from the best casting of false life (until it runs out, in which case the best of the remaining castings is used) but the points from aid are on top of that.

Now, the tricky part is to decide how many temporary hp are left if one spell runs out and you have lost some due to damage. I would rule that you lose as many as the spell running out gave you, but of course no more than you still have. But that is disputable.

Edit: pontus beat me to it and the FAQ version seems easier to use as well...

Last edited:

Dr. Zoom

First Post
How about the PH, page 153, Same Effect More than Once in Differant Strengths. The temporary hit points overlap, but they do not stack.

nsruf

First Post
Dr. Zoom said:
How about the PH, page 153, Same Effect More than Once in Differant Strengths. The temporary hit points overlap, but they do not stack.

Doesn't this only apply to multiple castings of the same spell? The example talks about having Bull's Strength cast twice on the same character.

Someone

Adventurer
Ok, then, how multiple castings of False life interacts with Dispel magic? Say the Sorcerer cast False Life twice, getting 14 and a lucky 20 temporary hit points; since the don´t stack, it´s supposed to have only 20 temporary hps.

Said Sorcerer is hit for 10 hps and after that someone (not I) cast a targeted Dispel magic on him, dispeling the second False Life but not the first. How many temporary hps has the Sorcerer left? 10? 4? something else?

kreynolds

First Post
Someone said:
Ok, then, how multiple castings of False life interacts with Dispel magic?

Both castings do not remain. You cast False Life once. You cast it a second time. The second casting completely replaces the first. So, the first one drops and the second takes over. If your second one is dispelled, you're left with nothing.

coyote6

Adventurer
kreynolds said:
Both castings do not remain. You cast False Life once. You cast it a second time. The second casting completely replaces the first. So, the first one drops and the second takes over. If your second one is dispelled, you're left with nothing.

That isn't listed in the description of false life as being a trait of the spell, and it contradicts the PH info on same effects in different strengths. PH, p. 153 (speaking of an example where bull's strength is cast on one character twice): "Both spells are still operating on the character, however. If one bull's strength is dispelled or its duration runs out, the other bull's strength takes over (assuming its duration has not yet expired)."

It would be easier to rule on false life if it worked that way, though. Otherwise, I'd say you have 4 temporary hp left (but I could be persuaded to go with 10. Especially if bribed :) ).

Last edited:

kreynolds

First Post
coyote6 said:
That isn't listed in the description of false life as being a trait of the spell, and it contradicts the PH info on same effects in different strengths. PH, p. 153 (speaking of an example where bull's strength is cast on one character twice): "Both spells are still operating on the character, however. If one bull's strength is dispelled or its duration runs out, the other bull's strength takes over (assuming its duration has not yet expired)."

Doh! Did I confuse Mage Armor for this situation? Must have.

coyote6 said:
It would be easier to rule on false life if it worked that way, though. Otherwise, I'd say you have 4 temporary hp left (but I could be persuaded to go with 10. Especially if bribed :) ).

Not sure. My gut tells me you would have 4, but again, it's a weird situation.

Remove ads