Temptation and Corruption domains

Rystil Arden

First Post
I decided in the Espra thread that I was going to work on some new domains, but since Espra's already been accepted and archived, I figured that means I should work on them in a new thread. So here goes:

Temptation Domain

Granted Power (Boon of Temptation): The cleric can grant a dark boon to those who please her. She may expend a Rebuke undead attempt for the day in order to attempt to grant her boon to a willing or helpless target (but not herself) with a kiss, a hug, a pat on the back, or a similar gesture. An unwilling target receives a Will Save DC 10 + the cleric's Charisma modifier to resist the boon. So long as the cleric is pleased with the boon's recipient, the boon grants the target a +2 profane bonus to any one ability score, but if she chooses, she may transform the bonus to a -4 profane penalty as a free action, or back into a +2 profane bonus whenever she wishes. Either way, the boon's effects fade away after 1 hour per level. A cleric may only have one such boon active at any given time. If the cleric grants a boon while another of her boons is active, all boons but the most recent fade away immediately.

Spells
1 Charm Person
2 Enthrall
3 Suggestion
4 Charm Monster
5 Dominate Persion
6 Mass Suggestion
7 Mass Charm Monster
8 Sympathy
9 Dominate Monster

Corruption Domain

Granted Power (Corrupting Touch): The cleric's very touch can corrupt and warp anything around her that lacks a mind strong enough to resist. She may expend a rebuke undead attempt to use her corrupting touch on a docile animal, a baby, a young child (generally age 7 or younger, GM's discretion applies), or even a pregnant woman (in which case the touch affects the unborn child). If the victim fails a Will save DC 10 + 1/2 the cleric's class level + the cleric's Charisma modifier, it becomes feral or cruel, and its alignment shifts to Evil. This effect is instantaneous, but it can be reversed by a Remove Curse, Restoration, or Break Enchantment cast within 24 hours, by an Atonement cast later, or by slaying the Cleric who originally corrupted the victim in the first place. This ability may be used on 1 cubic foot per level of water or food instead, in which case the water becomes befouled and undrinkable and the food spoils and rots. NOTE: A PC never counts as lacking a mind strong enough to resist except under extremely extraordinary circumstances (physically transformed into a baby by a powerful spell, Feebleminded, etc, in which case she's pretty much being NPCed for the moment anyway and this power is the least of her worries!).

Spells
1 Doom
2 Desecrate
3 Bestow Curse
4 Taste of Evil (see below)
5 Unhallow
6 Harm
7 Insanity
8 Unholy Aura
9 Soul Bind

Taste of Evil
Enchantment [Mind-Affecting and Evil]
Level Cleric 5, Corruption 4
Components: V,S,DF
Casting time: 1 standard action
Range: Close
Target: One creature
Duration: 1 hour / level
Saving Throw: Will negates
SR: Yes

On a failed Will save, the affected creature becomes Evil. This does not change the target's allegiances or outlook in any other way, so they won't just randomly attack their friends, but their sudden dark epiphany may make them more amenable to doublecrossing their allies or other such shady negotiations. Because Taste of Evil is a Mind-Affecting spell, a Paladin who commits an evil act because of the spell (or any similar class that loses their abilities to due an alignment violation caused by the spell) can receive an Atonement without costing XP, as usual for the Atonement spell.

(Discussion of the spell: Compare to Dominate Person--much less useful in controlling actions and shorter duration too. This is less a useful combat or control spell and more for flavour of corrupting people)

Last edited by a moderator:

SlagMortar

First Post
Once per day, she may attempt to grant her boon to a willing or helpless target with a kiss.
Does the cleric herself count as a willing target? The flavor says no. Maybe a rephrase of "grant her boon to another willing or helpless creature." It also seems a little powerful. Maybe this should be once per day and cost a turning attempt? Then again, I tend to think just about everything is overpowerred at first glance. :)

The rest all looks very good to me. I like the Taste of Evil spell, especially since there are items that cause an alignment change. It seems like something there should be a spell to achieve.

Rystil Arden

First Post
SlagMortar said:
Does the cleric herself count as a willing target? The flavor says no. Maybe a rephrase of "grant her boon to another willing or helpless creature." It also seems a little powerful. Maybe this should be once per day and cost a turning attempt? Then again, I tend to think just about everything is overpowerred at first glance. :)

The rest all looks very good to me. I like the Taste of Evil spell, especially since there are items that cause an alignment change. It seems like something there should be a spell to achieve.
The boon is supposed to be once per day (I swear I put that down) and it shouldn't be able to affect her (I'll change that immediately). I'm open to it costing a Turning attempt. I'm always looking for interesting ways for evil clerics to use those attempts if they despise undead and don't plan on commanding an undead army, since not all evil deities are in favour of such things.

Last edited:

SlagMortar

First Post
You did include the once a day. I just added the cost of the turn attempt. I think both restrictions are necessary to keep the high charisma/extra turning cleric from giving everyone in the party multiple stat enhancers that stack with enchancment bonuses.

Rystil Arden

First Post
SlagMortar said:
You did include the once a day. I just added the cost of the turn attempt. I think both restrictions are necessary to keep the high charisma/extra turning cleric from giving everyone in the party multiple stat enhancers that stack with enchancment bonuses.
Yeah, I definitely don't want more than one per day, even if I add the price of a turning attempt.

Bront

The man with the probe
Once a day +2 stat bonus is a little powerful for a cleric domain feat. So is a -4 penalty for 24 hours.

Rystil Arden

First Post
For the boon--

Well, the save DC is pitiful (10 + Cha mod) plus they need to be willing or helpless, so the penalty probably only applies to willing subjects who have upset the cleric. At once a day and possibly costing a turn attempt (I'm cool with that either way) the bonus seems in line with other similar abilities, and it is certainly less powerful than, for instance, the War Domain's granted proficiency and focus in the deity's favoured weapon, particularly since it is not allowable as a self buff, so it encourages buffing the party.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Bront said:
Corupting touch seems way too powerful and altering as well.
Considering that docile animals and children that need to be bypassed are probably niche encounters (moreso than things with the Fire or Cold subtype, for instance), this ability seems to me to be much less useful than the Fire Domain's granted power to Turn and Destroy Cold things and Rebuke or Command Fire things, for instance, especially since it is a much lesser effect compared to turning, rebuking, etc. It is mostly good for creepy flavour, and I don't see how it would unbalance almost anything (although I could very easily have missed something in my wording so it does, so please let me know!)

Bront

The man with the probe
You're basicly allowing a power to corupt permanently (baring the few cures you mentioned) someone simply by touching them. A cleric could corupt an entire village's children in a matter of weeks, and they wouldn't be the wiser.

Remove ads