D&D 5E Tenser's transformation and armor.

When I read tenser's transformation, I noticed that you gain proficiency in heavy armor...
it takes ten minutes to don heavy armor... just as long as the spell's duration.
Doffing is easily with the new cast-off armor... but how are you supposed to use it. You also can't pre-don armor because if you are not proficient, you can't cast spells in it. Also if there was a spell to don armor you could not cast it because of no spellcasting restriction of tenser's transformation...

swampslug

First Post
I've seen a few of these posts recently and the thoughts that always come to mind when I read them are:

1. It is a 6th level spell, so unless your game starts at level 11+ your character will spend enough time without it that you shouldn't make it the focus of your character.
  2. It is only active for 10 minutes per day (assuming concentration not broken) and you only get one 6th level slot per day until level 19.
  3. Given that you only get it at level 11, I would hope that your wizard has put at least some investment into Dexterity. Dex 10 and Mage Armour = dead wizard. With a 14+ Dex you can make the most of medium armour, which takes 5 minutes to don.
  4. The armour proficiencies aren't the primary purpose of the spell, the temp hit points and bonus damage are.
  5. If you really want to have a heavy armour wearing wizard who can wade into melee, you are better off taking your first level in Fighter and then multiclassing to Wizard.

The most likely explanation is that the rules were written at different times by different people, and nobody noticed this interaction until it was too late. To prevent the armor proficiency from being entirely useless, I would add a caveat that you can specifically cast this one spell even if you aren't currently proficient in the armor you are wearing.

swampslug

First Post
50 temp hit points, advantage and 2d12 damage on weapon attacks does not make the spell useless. It is a niche spell and it has its drawbacks (possible exhaustion and can't cast spells while the spell is up) but that doesn't make it useless.
It was clearly designed for gish concepts in mind and offers a substantial boost for them. As I wrote in my previous post, if you are looking at this spell as a way to be able to be a spell-slinging wizard in heavy armour then you need to look elsewhere (Fighter multiclass) but if you are a high level gish that wants a magical combat boost, then this is a decent spell.

Mephista

Adventurer
The spell doesn't give you proficiency in heavy armor specifically. It gives you proficiency in everything martial just for the sake of everyrhing. Judging the spell by the heavy armor rules is kind of silly.

It gives you 10 minutes of being a tank, and does significantly better damage than cantrips; even on par With Agonizing Blast plus hex. With a staff of power, not unreasonable at this level, that is a bit more damage. That is hardly useless. Is it worth a 6th level slot, though? Gaining a decent at will attack in exchange for 6th level magic? That requires more analysis than I have right now

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I've seen a few of these posts recently and the thoughts that always come to mind when I read them are:

1. It is a 6th level spell, so unless your game starts at level 11+ your character will spend enough time without it that you shouldn't make it the focus of your character.
  2. It is only active for 10 minutes per day (assuming concentration not broken) and you only get one 6th level slot per day until level 19.
  3. Given that you only get it at level 11, I would hope that your wizard has put at least some investment into Dexterity. Dex 10 and Mage Armour = dead wizard. With a 14+ Dex you can make the most of medium armour, which takes 5 minutes to don.
  4. The armour proficiencies aren't the primary purpose of the spell, the temp hit points and bonus damage are.
  5. If you really want to have a heavy armour wearing wizard who can wade into melee, you are better off taking your first level in Fighter and then multiclassing to Wizard.

So what you're saying is "IMO this spell gives something totally useless that you shouldn't try to use".

But the question the poster is asking is "I want to use this feature from the spell - how do I do it?".

swampslug

First Post
The point of the spell is not the armour proficiencies, it is the temp hit points and the accuracy and damage boosts, it just happens to give you proficiency in all weapons and armour because a warrior would know how to use all weapons and armour.
I have stated how I think this spell should be used and that unless you are playing a gish with access to a decent AC (start 1st level Fighter for heavy armour, have a 14+ Dex or are a bladesinger) then this spell is not for you.

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
So what you're saying is "IMO this spell gives something totally useless that you shouldn't try to use".

But the question the poster is asking is "I want to use this feature from the spell - how do I do it?".

Obvious answer is that you can't.

Remove ads