D&D 5E Tenser's transformation and armor.

I am sorry. I never said the spell is useless or anything like that. I asked for a solution to make a feature useful.

I personally have 3 solutions:

Either allow this spell being cast in armor.
Or add an optional focus which is a suit of armor or maybe even armor, shield and sword which you have nearby or maybe a suit of armor somewhere stored and teleported to you.
Or you just get the ability to don and doff armor as a bonus action (teleported, magically wrapped around you or hiwever you like.)

It just rubs me the wrong way if you get an ability that is totally useless. Not bad. Useless. :/

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
I am sorry. I never said the spell is useless or anything like that. I asked for a solution to make a feature useful.

Or add an optional focus which is a suit of armor or maybe even armor, shield and sword which you have nearby or maybe a suit of armor somewhere stored and teleported to you.
Or you just get the ability to don and doff armor as a bonus action (teleported, magically wrapped around you or hiwever you like.)

It just rubs me the wrong way if you get an ability that is totally useless. Not bad. Useless. :/

I'd be inclined to play that if you are wearing no armor when you cast it, the spell produces a suit of half plate in place on your body. Disappears at spell's end.

Makes it a little more effective for non-gishes.

Ganymede81

First Post
Just allow a suit of armor to be an additional focus for the spell, and allow the casting to cause the wizard to magically suit up in the armor as part of the spell.

I'd be inclined to play that if you are wearing no armor when you cast it, the spell produces a suit of half plate in place on your body. Disappears at spell's end.

On second thought, do this instead.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I haven't seen the spell yet but from this thread it sounds like one I'd have liked as a backup on my bladesinger. With all other spell options used up, bring on the transformed bladesinger.

The signature of champions.

MiraMels

Explorer
When I read tenser's transformation, I noticed that you gain proficiency in heavy armor...
it takes ten minutes to don heavy armor... just as long as the spell's duration.
Doffing is easily with the new cast-off armor... but how are you supposed to use it. You also can't pre-don armor because if you are not proficient, you can't cast spells in it. Also if there was a spell to don armor you could not cast it because of no spellcasting restriction of tenser's transformation...

You can don the heavy armor in five minutes if you have someone assist you.

Caliban

Rules Monkey

Or talk to your DM about finding/creating a suit of full plate that you can summon onto yourself as a bonus action. :)

Horwath

Legend

For that kind of high level spell, make it a full plate armour.

Or any mundane armour and weapon set whan you cast the spell.

You get one mundane armor.

One weapon set. 2handed weapon. Or two one handed weapons. Or one handed weapon and a shield.

Extra addition. For every spell level raised each part of the equipment gains +1 bonus.

Fanaelialae

Legend
Assuming that the DM allows you to create it on yourself, the Creation spell (1 minute casting time) would work. You'd have to improvise a vegetable or mineral substitute for the leather straps, but I expect that hemp straps would be suitable as a temporary measure.

That said, I'd have no issue with this spell conjuring basic arms and armor on the caster. That seems reasonable and quite cool.

swampslug

First Post

Assuming that the DM allows you to create it on yourself, the Creation spell (1 minute casting time) would work. You'd have to improvise a vegetable or mineral substitute for the leather straps, but I expect that hemp straps would be suitable as a temporary measure.

That said, I'd have no issue with this spell conjuring basic arms and armor on the caster. That seems reasonable and quite cool.

The problem with these ideas are:
Tenser's Transformation said:
Until the spell ends, you can’t cast spells, and you gain the following benefits:
Emphasis mine.

Once the spell is active you cannot cast Creation to create armour on yourself (although if your DM is that generous they may allow another caster to cast it with the armour forming around you). Furthermore, since you cannot cast spells while it is active I cannot see how it is useful for non-gishes.
That said, I like the idea of the spell summoning armour around you when cast. Although, as I stated in an earlier post, if you are relying on this spell for heavy armour proficiency how is you wizard surviving up to this point with such a low AC?

Remove ads