• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Terrain WIP for upcoming final boss fight

Tormyr

Hero
If you ever want to do this more quickly in the future, go to the dollar store and pick up a sheet of foam board. Pull one side of the paper off the foam board, exposing the foam. You can quickly etch in the grid with a butter knife and use a fork to distress squares as desired. If you want to paint it, coat it in modpodge or diluted white glue first so that a cheap, black spray paint does not melt the foam.

There are lots of cheap and fun ideas put forth by DM Scotty on his youtube channel. I have used his videos to make 1-off tiles, wall pieces that can make any size room, gelatinous cubes, GIANT purple worms, and scenery. His intros are a bit corny, but his advice is great.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCF-i5kmuwyV6N3xi5z1TElg

Thanks, that's some good advice. :) I have been doing this for ages, and I usually just use Fat Dragon floor tiles printed onto card stock for my floors. I wanted to have a specific effect with this one, however.

Got outside yesterday and got the undercoat done; going to start painting tonight!

Started painting this evening! Took almost 5 hours to get all the first coat onto the floor tiles. I used 3 different colours -- copper, brass, and gold. I have left some tiles black.

Thanks for the continued support on this project! Only 2 weekends left before the session, so it's pedal to the metal time. I based coated the BBEG tonight and also did the first coat on the water sections. Sorry the lighting is so bad!

Thanks again for the continued support!

I started in on some of the final details last night -- mood lighting and base molding. :)

Mood lighting is via an LED light strip from Tinkersphere; molding is from a local craft store. I think it adds a sufficiently ominous eldritch glow!

Remove ads