Terrible sequels

I think The Matrix Revolutions (the third one) qualifies as pretty goddamn awful. The second one had all those fun action scenes you expect from the Wachowski sisters but the third one went beyond the pale with a few plot points and sequences, and seemed very much like an earlier iteration of The Matrix 4 in that it was sort of an "eff you" to people clambering for a third Matrix movie.
Oh man I blocked this from my mind. The matrix sequels killed the original. The original was outstanding. Then the sequels just puzzled me

Ryujin

Legend
I think The Matrix Revolutions (the third one) qualifies as pretty goddamn awful. The second one had all those fun action scenes you expect from the Wachowski sisters but the third one went beyond the pale with a few plot points and sequences, and seemed very much like an earlier iteration of The Matrix 4 in that it was sort of an "eff you" to people clambering for a third Matrix movie.
And the word salad spouted by The Architect has spawned innumerable parodies.

Ryujin

Legend
Oh man I blocked this from my mind. The matrix sequels killed the original. The original was outstanding. Then the sequels just puzzled me
"The Matrix" and "Highlander" both essentially provided a resolution to the conflicts, inherent to the plot. Neither really benefited, nor really supported sequels, though it could be argued that Neo systematically tearing down The Matrix might have made for a film. As he pretty much had godlike power at that point, it would seem rather pointless though.

Arilyn

Hero
My picks:
Wonder Woman
Matrix
Pirates of the Caribbean
Raiders of the Lost Ark
I like Jurassic Park 2 well enough but 3 is awful
Frozen
My Girl

MarkB

Legend
"The Matrix" and "Highlander" both essentially provided a resolution to the conflicts, inherent to the plot. Neither really benefited, nor really supported sequels, though it could be argued that Neo systematically tearing down The Matrix might have made for a film. As he pretty much had godlike power at that point, it would seem rather pointless though.
The Matrix sequels did at least try to follow on from the plot of the first movie though, unlike Highlander's spontaneous genre shift.

delericho

Legend
Superman III (which I hate saying, since it was the very first film I saw in the cinema), and certainly IV.

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon is an odd one - the sequel, Sword of Destiny, is mostly terrible, but then the final battle is great. Plus, Michelle Yeoh, so...

Toy Story 4.

Clint_L

Hero
Oh man, so many that I forgot they even existed, they were so bad

Speed 2
It's set on a cruise ship. Because when I think of "speed," I think of cruise ships!

Honestly, how did this one make it past the treatment stage without anyone pointing out the fundamental flaw? Or did they figure, "Well, Keanu's not doing it anyway" and just give up.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
My Girl had a sequel? I really didnt know that!

and I thought the Pirates of the Caribbean sequels were okay, at least for extended theme park advertisements :) (admittedly I havent seen the on stranger tides one, because I'm disappointed we didnt get a movie version of Tim Powers book instead)

Last edited:

Remove ads