• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Testament: In the Shadow of Sinai. (full)

Maerdwyn

First Post
humble minion said:
The Versatile feat solves my skill rank requirements nicely - I'll take Versatile (Diplomacy and Knowledge(Religion)), which would seem feasible for someone who's had to raise a family, especially since failing to give your children proper religious education is a sin according to the Israelite code.

I'm looking to take a hyena (3.5e MM) as an animal companion. It's more suited to the region than a wolf but with almost identical stats, and, being a rather creepy carrion-eater, it adds to the sense of social isolation I was going for.
Thant all sounds good.

Regarding the ranger spellcasting issue, might I suggest a compromise? As I'm only planning to take ranger up to 5th level regardless, how about I forgo ranger spellcasting entirely in exchange for my animal companion being one level more advanced than it would otherwise be? This would let the companion get the next level-based advancement before I leave the ranger class, and hopefully remain useful a little longer as the group rises in level.
That sounds reasonable, but let me keep thinking about it (Ghostknight, do you have your UA back yet, by chance?) - because there are bound a lot of rangers encountered in the campaign, many other them are going to be over 5th level, so I need a good campaign wide solution to the issue.

Ghostknight

First Post
Maerdwyn said:
Thant all sounds good.

That sounds reasonable, but let me keep thinking about it (Ghostknight, do you have your UA back yet, by chance?) - because there are bound a lot of rangers encountered in the campaign, many other them are going to be over 5th level, so I need a good campaign wide solution to the issue.

I got it back, and seem to have gotten it wrong! I know I have seen a ranger variant without magic, but it is not in UA. I will check my other books and just hope I have it and it wasn;t something I saw on the internet somewhere!

yangnome

First Post
Maerdwyn said:
There are certainly very few priests - and the Levites have yet to be consecrated, if I'm not mistaken. You are certainly welcome (ecouraged, in fact) to run one of those priests, but understand that you are one of a very few, and that you will be expected to have babies :)
OK, the changes don't seem all that drastic, aside from the difference in years. I'll make Caleb one of Aaron's grandchildren (provided that the age still fits). though I'll need to change a few facts in what I posted, his view on things shouldn't change at all. If anything, he might be even more upset, having witnessed the miracles himself.

Ghostknight said:
I got it back, and seem to have gotten it wrong! I know I have seen a ranger variant without magic, but it is not in UA. I will check my other books and just hope I have it and it wasn;t something I saw on the internet somewhere!
This version is in Complete Warrior. I had a bit of a look at it myself - the major features are a 10ft speed increase at level 6, followed later on by the ability to remove disease and to raise your Wis/Dex/Con by 4 for 1 min/level once per day. A little on the weak side in my opinion, but I suppopse it's functional.

Ghostknight

First Post
humble minion said:
This version is in Complete Warrior. I had a bit of a look at it myself - the major features are a 10ft speed increase at level 6, followed later on by the ability to remove disease and to raise your Wis/Dex/Con by 4 for 1 min/level once per day. A little on the weak side in my opinion, but I suppopse it's functional.

Right- I saw it when browsing the book (I never bought it unfortunately, I got UA instead).

Maerdwyn

First Post
Looking for crituques on this variant ranger. It gives (almost entirely non-combat) bonus feats, like a fighter's, instead of spells, but is otherwise the 3.5e ranger. It's based on what I've heard second hand about the Iron Kingdoms' variant ranger.

Thanks,
Ian

Attachments

• Ranger.PDF
    38.4 KB · Views: 106

Maerdwyn said:
Looking for crituques on this variant ranger. It gives (almost entirely non-combat) bonus feats, like a fighter's, instead of spells, but is otherwise the 3.5e ranger. It's based on what I've heard second hand about the Iron Kingdoms' variant ranger.

Thanks,
Ian
It looks a little overdone, to be frank. Over 20 levels, this ranger gets only one less bonus feat than a fighter (not even counting the combat style quasi-feats), while still having many more skill points, special abilities and so on. Granted that many of the bonus feat choices are not the highest-powered combat-oriented ones available, but it's still a concern.

I'd prefer a bonus feat progression of about 1 per 4 levels, and with a list that included various feats that enhance ranger abilites. There's a few examples of the latter in Complete Warrior, but you might have to house-rule a few others. Enhanced Animal Companion, Improved Wild Empathy, that sort of thing...

Maerdwyn

First Post
Thanks!

I don't have Complete Warrior, but if you post a couple of the feats, I'd porbably include them in the list. I agree on the suggestion of 1/4 feat progression. In general, would this be acceptable ( with the addition of a few more rangery feats once we collect them?)

Pardon me for not being around recently - I'm still having problems with my home internet connection.

Anyway, the only ranger-oriented feats in Complete Warrior were Favoured Power Attack (do extra damage when using Power Attack against a favoured enemy) and Improved Favoured Enemy (do an extra 3 points of damage ony any attack against a favoured enemy). I had a look in Complete Divine too, and there's not much there unless you're a druid.

I've got my character mostly done but for a few mechanical details, which will be easy enough to tie up once the ranger issues are finalised.

- Are we using the 3.5 ranger (minus spells, plus one bonus feat every fourth level) or the modified ranger from earlier in the thread (but with bonus feats every fourth level rather than every second)?
- Is the 'every fourth level' bonus feat progression 4th, 8th, 12th, etc, or something different like 2nd, 5th, 9th, etc?
- I'll want to take a feat that gives me a more advanced animal companion than I would otherwise have as a 4th level ranger. This sort of thing would seem to be a logical ranger bonus feat, but there doesn't seem to be any such thing in any of WotC's books. Any possibility of coming up with some homebrew version for me to take?

Thanks, and I hope to get things finalised soon!

Maerdwyn

First Post
Is this the sort of things you were thinking of? (I'm working on the complete class - It is going to be basically 3.5, plus feats at 4,8,12, etc., plus favored terrain at 3rd.

Improved Animal Companion: (General) Prereq: Animal Companion ability. Benefit: Your animal companion is 1 level higher than you would normally receive based on your class level.

Last edited:

Remove ads