Thanks, Kenzer and Company!

Wolfspider

Explorer
I agree completely about the quality of the maps and the artwork and the writing in general. I'm also impressed with the length of the adventure. I can't remember exactly how long it is, but the price on the back reads $12--just two dollars more than the official WotC adventures, and The Root of All Evil is just so much meatier. :D

I'll certainly be buying the other adventures. I'm not so sure about the setting book--I have settings coming out the whazzoo right now--but I'll probably give the player's guide a lookover for crunchy bits.

(I love the expression "crunchy bits." :D )

Sayburr

First Post
I don't want anyone to be disappointed with the setting guide. It is a large book and it is just a setting guide. You will find no PrCs or additional feats or anything like that. I think that is why some people don't like Kalamar, because it is just a setting. The PrCs and additional feats and character creation options are going to be in the player's guide. It is not full of artwork, it is full of information so flipping through it will not grab your attention like the beautiful FR setting.

That said... I love the setting. To me it is the best setting I have seen and it is full of plot hooks.

The modules are great and I highly recommend the Coin Series (Root of all Evil, Forging Darkness, and Coin's End), Midnight's Terror, and Deathright. These are all top-notch adventures.

"Root of All Evil" is 64 pages for $13 while WOTC adventures are usually 32 pages for $10.

But, you also have to remember... Kalamar is Official D&D, not d20. Everything Kenzer Co does with Kalamar has to go through WOTC before it is released. d20 releases do not have to go through this step.

Sayburr said:
I don't want anyone to be disappointed with the setting guide. It is a large book and it is just a setting guide. You will find no PrCs or additional feats or anything like that. I think that is why some people don't like Kalamar, because it is just a setting. The PrCs and additional feats and character creation options are going to be in the player's guide. It is not full of artwork, it is full of information so flipping through it will not grab your attention like the beautiful FR setting.

That said... I love the setting. To me it is the best setting I have seen and it is full of plot hooks.

I own both settings Sayburr, and I second you opinion. Kalamar's setting isn't as flashy and full of eye candy, so it really takes a thorough reading to get hooked. I felt really immersed in the setting while I read - the world is extremely well put together! Kenzer really did their homework (literally!) to put together a world with coherent cultures, topography, etc.

With that said, the setting still isn't for everybody (which is fine of course). Luckily, even if people don't want the setting book the adventures would port quite nicely over to other campaign settings I would think.

The Antra

First Post
Thanks, Kenzer!

I just got my free copy through the mail today. It looks awesome!

Man, I live all the way down in Brazil and Kenzer and Co. sent me a copy anyway. Thank you very much. You guys are great!

I was not aware of Kenzer more than just through their website. Here in Brazil, we rarely see different products from the D&D mainstream. I know Kalamar is D&D, not d20, but even their product line is hard to find. Heck, even books beside the Core books are hard to find.

What I usually do is order book through online services like amazon.com. I must admit I never gave too much attention to Kenzer products but now that I've seen it... WOW!

My Amazon wish list sure got a lot of new products. I've just flipped through the book and it looks awesome. Kenzer definitely became some company to follow very closely.

Once again, thank you Kenzer. You surely got my attention. And congrats on the quality of the book. I'll be reading it right now!

Best,
Marcio (a Brazilian gamer)

bolen

First Post
how about a preview of what will be in the player's book or what
the Rumor quest system is. I will buy anything for kalamar now and have yet to be disappointed

Remove ads