That 90's Show

Dire Bare

Legend
In the case of Ozzie, the clever thing to do would be to establish that as a gay teen growing up in small town Wisconsin and likely having not found much of a gay community, his sense of how a gay person is "supposed" to behave is based on what he sees on 90s tv.
I was in college during the early-to-mid 90s, and had gay friends who followed that exact pattern. Hadn't met any other gay people until they got to college, and developed a persona that leaned heavily into gay stereotypes from TV. Those I still know, have mostly grown out of that by now.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
We binge watched it this weekend.

First episode was rough. Much of the rest caught the spirit of the original.

Most importantly, Kitty and Red are still Kitty and Red. Greatest sitcom parents of all time.

The mother next door, Sherri Runck (played by Andrea Anders) ended up being my favorite of the new characters so far.

The younger generation are fine, with Ozzie (Reyn Doi) maybe being my favorite. It felt weird in some cases, like throwing a slightly grown up version of a Disney show (like Bunk'd) into a blender with the very un-Disney OG That 70's show.

And like the original, a lead once in a while making a cringe worthy blunder was hard to watch.

My big question is if Bob thinks he's dying or just feeling old and depressed.

Finally, it's a bit strange relating in parts since my actual teen years were centered in the decade between the two shows. So I'm never 100% sure how on point either is for teenage life in the era.

Last edited:

Ryujin

Legend
Finally, it's a bit strange relating in parts since my actual teen years were centered in the decade between the two shows. So I'm never 100% sure how on point either is for teenage life in the era.
For me, "That '70s Show" was only accurate in that my friends seemed to routinely swap girlfriends (I kept out of that mess). "Letterkenny" is far more accurate to the way that my teen years went, in the '70s, if you drop the modern tech. That's why I just plain can't watch it.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
For me, "That '70s Show" was only accurate in that my friends seemed to routinely swap girlfriends (I kept out of that mess). "Letterkenny" is far more accurate to the way that my teen years went, in the '70s, if you drop the modern tech. That's why I just plain can't watch it.
Whereas friends of mine felt utterly nailed by elements of That 70s Show. The exultation of getting their own car, or sitting around, talking crap in the basement with a cranky old man up stairs... granted the weed was missing from that particular scenario. But Kelso wasn't (their last name is Kelsey and so got called Kelso a lot).

We binge watched it this weekend.

First episode was rough. Much of the rest caught the spirit of the original.

Most importantly, Kitty and Red are still Kitty and Red. Greatest sitcom parents of all time.

The mother next door, Sherri Runck (played by Andrea Anders) ended up being my favorite of the new characters so far.

The younger generation are fine, with Ozzie (Reyn Doi) maybe being my favorite. It felt weird in some cases, like throwing a slightly grown up version of a Disney show (like Bunk'd) into a blender with the very un-Disney OG That 70's show.

And like the original, a lead once in a while making a cringe worthy blunder was hard to watch.

My big question is if Bob thinks he's dying or just feeling old and depressed.

The experience in every generation are extremely broad, it's almost impossible to feel authentic to everyone because experiences of the 70's and 90's can be radically different.

Like some folks complain about a lack of Grunge in the That 90's Show, but I was never into that, for me it's a fine representation of the 90's except for it's lack of Star Trek references (Golden Age of Star Trek).

Remove ads