That Upcoming Star Trek RPG Comes In A Special Borg Cube Boxed Set!

Those looking forward to Modiphius' 2d20-based Star Trek Adventures may be excited to hear about a limited edition boxed set which contains a "1701-D" limited edition rulebook, miniatures, dice, tokens, a GM screen, geomorphic deck tiles, character sheets, and a poster map, Geek & Sundry is reporting. No details on price quite yet, but the pre-order opens on June 8th. But the best thing about it? It's shaped like a Borg Cube!

Those looking forward to Modiphius' 2d20-based Star Trek Adventures may be excited to hear about a limited edition boxed set which contains a "1701-D" limited edition rulebook, miniatures, dice, tokens, a GM screen, geomorphic deck tiles, character sheets, and a poster map, Geek & Sundry is reporting. No details on price quite yet, but the pre-order opens on June 8th. But the best thing about it? It's shaped like a Borg Cube!

STA-Feature.png

Here's what it contains:

• “1701-D” Collectible Edition Core Rulebook
  • Original Series, Next Generation, Klingon, and Romulan miniatures sets
  • Foam miniatures storage tray
  • Custom Star Trek dice (in red, gold, and blue, of course)
  • Tokens
  • GM screen
  • Starfleet geomorphic deck tiles
  • Character sheets
  • Momentum and Threat game tokens
  • Poster map of the Alpha and Beta Quadrants.
  • Price? Modiphius says "£300 retail value would be around $380US or $500 AUD. However yes there will be a special pre-order price."
See Geek & Sundry for more photos of the boxed set. For previous coverage here at EN World, check out the Romulan miniatures, and the TOS and TNG miniatures.

SaveSaveSaveSave
SaveSave
SaveSave

Brodie

Explorer
"£300 retail value would be around $380US or $500 AUD. However yes there will be a special pre-order price."

Freaking kidding me with that price tag? The Invisible Sun game by Monte Cook is roughly $200 (going by the kickstarter pledge levels) and includes about the same amount of things. I'd have been willing to scrape up $150-$200 for this, but at $380, forget it. Let the Trek fans with ridiculously disposable income have fun with it.

$380?!?!
Hahahahaha. :):):):) no.
Especially not with the weak Canadian dollar. That's currently $520. That's the better part of a week's pay.

I'll spend a *LOT* on RPG books. Like $150 for the 5e core rulebooks. Or $100 for Ptolus (in 2007 dollars). Or $200 for an adventure I'll play once with a fancy case:
PZO1002-D_500.jpeg

I have some very nice deluxe cover products from Kobold Press and Paizo.
I remember less than a year ago when Monte Cook games posted Invisible Sun with the base game at $197 and people balked at that. This is *almost* twice that.

I can justify $200 easily. $250 even. $300 if shipping is reasonable and the game gets solid reviews. But $380 to preorder an unknown game? Yeah. Not a chance. Especially with less than two or three months to save that cash. (I'm a seasonal work too, so I'm technically unemployed after June 30th.)

This really puts me off as that case looks so cool.
I doubt I'll even get the regular game now. Ever time I look at it, it'll just be a sad reminder of what I could have gotten but couldn't afford. :( A constant poking at my OCD/ obsessive collector nature. Like the gap in a collection.

I get the desire to have exclusives and preorder bonuses. But the benefit of those is a perk for people who preorder or order quickly, rewarding the really eager fans. This just rewards people with lots of disposable income.
Looking at that price point I wonder why they didn't just bundle the collector's version of the core rule-book with the box, the maps, and the tokens. And let people buy the dice and minis separately *if* they really wanted. Spread out the cost. And the storage would encourage people to buy that material to fill the supplies space. That has the same exclusive feel, but would be a much more affordable and easier to justify.

This really feels like they just went wild with what they could add to the product and didn't stop to think what they should, or stop to question if people would buy....

Jason M Cook

First Post
I'll spend a *LOT* on RPG books. Like $150 for the 5e core rulebooks. Or $100 for Ptolus (in 2007 dollars). Or $200 for an adventure I'll play once with a fancy case:

That IS a fancy case! What is that?

Oh, and I'm thinking price be damned on that Borg cube and I'm not even a Trekkie. It's gorgeous.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Sometimes people sell expensive things. That's OK. They'll also sell cheaper versions of the game. Different products for different folks.

Sent from my iPhone using EN World

oneshot

Explorer
Over on their own boards, they've confirmed that a lot of the individual components will be available for separate sale (the momentum and threat markers, the map, the tiles, etc.). So even if the whole package is out of your price range (as it is for me), you can still get the various pieces that most appeal to you.

That IS a fancy case! What is that?

Oh, and I'm thinking price be damned on that Borg cube and I'm not even a Trekkie. It's gorgeous.
The Paizo.com exclusive of the Rise of the Runelords Anniversary edition.

Because it was an online exclusive (non-retail) they could charge less, as they were pocketing all the profits rather than just 20%.
I'd hoped the same would apply here...

Over on their own boards, they've confirmed that a lot of the individual components will be available for separate sale (the momentum and threat markers, the map, the tiles, etc.). So even if the whole package is out of your price range (as it is for me), you can still get the various pieces that most appeal to you.
The box?

I can miss out on the variant cover of the rule book. Don't have strong feelings about the dice (have lots) or the minis (unneeded in a narrative game, and not the era I'd run anyway) but not being able to get the box is the deal breaker for me.
(It's almost sized right to work on the table with WizKids versions of the ships too...)

oneshot

Explorer
The box?

I can miss out on the variant cover of the rule book. Don't have strong feelings about the dice (have lots) or the minis (unneeded in a narrative game, and not the era I'd run anyway) but not being able to get the box is the deal breaker for me.
(It's almost sized right to work on the table with WizKids versions of the ships too...)

Don't know about the box per se, as I didn't ask about that. However, in the email in which they announced the preorder, they talked about two different collectors boxes they were planning. So there may be another box set more in your price range. Or perhaps the box(es) will go up for sale separately. I guess we will find out next Thursday.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads