The 10 Player Races in Volo's Guide Revealed

On its Volo's Guide to Monsters product page, Fantasy Grounds has a screenshot up listing the 10 playable races - Aasimar, Bugbear, Firbolg, Goblin, Goliath, Hobgoblin, Kenku, Kobold, Lizardfolk, Orc, Tabaxi, Triton, Yuan-ti Pureblood.

On its Volo's Guide to Monsters product page, Fantasy Grounds has a screenshot up listing the 10 playable races - Aasimar, Bugbear, Firbolg, Goblin, Goliath, Hobgoblin, Kenku, Kobold, Lizardfolk, Orc, Tabaxi, Triton, Yuan-ti Pureblood.

New-Monstrous-Races.jpg

Product Page: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/product.xcp?id=WOTC5EVGM
Screenshot: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/images/screenshots/Screenshots/WOTC5EVGM/New-Monstrous-Races.jpg

Biggest surprise for me is Kenku. Bugbear is also unexpected.

Screen Shot 2016-11-02 at 23.12.49.png

Screen Shot 2016-11-02 at 23.13.03.png

Screen Shot 2016-11-02 at 23.13.19.png

Screen Shot 2016-11-02 at 23.13.32.png

Screen Shot 2016-11-02 at 23.13.48.png

Save
Save
SaveSave

Isn't combat a "game state" though? It's called "roll initiative".

Depends on how you run initiative. If you use cyclic initiative, then yes, combat and non-combat are distinct modes, and two combats can be distinguished from each other by the order in which turns occur within them. (This is one of the really pernicious things about cyclic initiative.)

If you use a simultaneous initiative system, though, combat and non-combat will blend together more seamlessly. You might have two characters engaged in combat (granularity: six second rounds) while others are peacefully conducting a conversation while playing dice nearby (granularity: ten minute games). The dice-players can even pause to interfere briefly in the combat (e.g. Help one combatant by casually shoving a chair in front of the other combatant at just the right moment) before returning to their noncombat activities, and it doesn't in any way make either activity difficult to adjudicate.

5E officially includes many initiative variants.

Chaosmancer

Legend
Okay, I get where you guys are coming from now.

I have cyclic initiative and I already think in terms of combat/ non-combat (ie exploration and social) in certain places. The switch between a very fluid time set to a very strict one is too jarring for me to not see them as separate.

Beleriphon

Totally Awesome Pirate Brain
On kobolds, has anybody else noticed that while Daylight Sensitivity sucks, it doesn't matter so long as the kobolds are near allies due to Pack Tactics? Kobolds are basically never going to get disadvantage so long as they have friends around.

Remove ads

Remove ads