The 10 Player Races in Volo's Guide Revealed

On its Volo's Guide to Monsters product page, Fantasy Grounds has a screenshot up listing the 10 playable races - Aasimar, Bugbear, Firbolg, Goblin, Goliath, Hobgoblin, Kenku, Kobold, Lizardfolk, Orc, Tabaxi, Triton, Yuan-ti Pureblood.

On its Volo's Guide to Monsters product page, Fantasy Grounds has a screenshot up listing the 10 playable races - Aasimar, Bugbear, Firbolg, Goblin, Goliath, Hobgoblin, Kenku, Kobold, Lizardfolk, Orc, Tabaxi, Triton, Yuan-ti Pureblood.

New-Monstrous-Races.jpg

Product Page: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/product.xcp?id=WOTC5EVGM
Screenshot: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/images/screenshots/Screenshots/WOTC5EVGM/New-Monstrous-Races.jpg

Biggest surprise for me is Kenku. Bugbear is also unexpected.

Screen Shot 2016-11-02 at 23.12.49.png

Screen Shot 2016-11-02 at 23.13.03.png

Screen Shot 2016-11-02 at 23.13.19.png

Screen Shot 2016-11-02 at 23.13.32.png

Screen Shot 2016-11-02 at 23.13.48.png

Save
Save
SaveSave

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
11.5 then. The Aasimar in the DMG was only an example of how to build your own races. It needed fine tuning and was not a true ready-to-play race as listed without DM permission, otherwise it would have been legal for AL play without needing a special cert.
The reason they need a cert is not because it isn't ready to play, but because the DMG is not a legal AL rules source. That's all. I'm betting the Volo version will be exactly the same.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

CrusaderX

First Post
The reason they need a cert is not because it isn't ready to play, but because the DMG is not a legal AL rules source. That's all. I'm betting the Volo version will be exactly the same.

I'm betting it won't be. Mike Mearls stated in a podcast months ago that they wanted to redesign the Aasimar because they weren't really satisfied with the DMG version. Well, now is their chance for a redesign.

This list is a touch disappointing, in that it doesn't have the Aaracocra, who I now believe will be the only EE race not updated/printed in a Hardback. We have Genasi in PotA, Svirfneblin (curse their impossible to pronounce name!) in SCAG and now Goliaths in VGtM.

Otherwise, these look fun. I would observe that it is a pretty unmonstrous list of monstrous race options; no Minotaurs or Elementals or whatever. Probably for the best, as the ECL rule setup seemed like a friggin' nightmare.

I suspect that most tables will place soft bans of much of these races, in practice; Aasimar is one thing, but a Bugbear seems a hard sell if you're going for a campaign where the players interact with the King and spend all their time in Human towns and whatnot. Even in all the material that I've read for Waterdeep, I don't think that I saw an explicit mention of a Goblinoid or Orc NPC of any kind, beyond a vague mention that sometimes Orc tribes send delegations to Waterdeep to buy important supplies. Of course, this list does give some really solid options for a subversive 'Evil Races' game, which I'm sure was probably (part of) the intent.

Aasimar Paladins and Tabaxi Rogues will probably be hitting everyone's tables soon though! :D

gyor

Legend
I don't think this list includes the table of races we heard about.

But cool list. Nothing shocking, but a nice list.

Remove ads

Remove ads