• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The 10 Player Races in Volo's Guide Revealed

On its Volo's Guide to Monsters product page, Fantasy Grounds has a screenshot up listing the 10 playable races - Aasimar, Bugbear, Firbolg, Goblin, Goliath, Hobgoblin, Kenku, Kobold, Lizardfolk, Orc, Tabaxi, Triton, Yuan-ti Pureblood.

On its Volo's Guide to Monsters product page, Fantasy Grounds has a screenshot up listing the 10 playable races - Aasimar, Bugbear, Firbolg, Goblin, Goliath, Hobgoblin, Kenku, Kobold, Lizardfolk, Orc, Tabaxi, Triton, Yuan-ti Pureblood.

New-Monstrous-Races.jpg

Product Page: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/product.xcp?id=WOTC5EVGM
Screenshot: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/images/screenshots/Screenshots/WOTC5EVGM/New-Monstrous-Races.jpg

Biggest surprise for me is Kenku. Bugbear is also unexpected.

Screen Shot 2016-11-02 at 23.12.49.png

Screen Shot 2016-11-02 at 23.13.03.png

Screen Shot 2016-11-02 at 23.13.19.png

Screen Shot 2016-11-02 at 23.13.32.png

Screen Shot 2016-11-02 at 23.13.48.png

Save
Save
SaveSave

Mercule

Adventurer
I don't really know what to think. I love the idea of having official stats for hobgoblins and am warm to the other goblinoids and orcs. Unless the aasimar and goliath are substantively different from previous offerings, those feel like a cop out. The other races are "meh", to me.

Overall, the book doesn't have me excited. Between the Forgotten Realms ties and mixed bag of previews, I'll probably pass. Pity.

GreenTengu

Adventurer
4/5ths of my top choices are there, the only one missing is Gith. But I guess it is best to hold off on them until they decide to tackle the topic of psionics.

And there are others that I know people want, but they are specifically Nentir vale Races or Eberron races or Dragonlance races or Dark Sun races.

The alternate version of the Gnoll presented in 4th edition can be considered Nentir vale Gnolls and be held off until then.

It does a bit feel like Saurials maybe would have been better for Forgotten Realms than Firbolg, Yuan-ti, or Kenku, but I guess dinosaurs aren't really in fashion right now like they were in the late 80s and early 90s.

I don't think this list includes the table of races we heard about.

But cool list. Nothing shocking, but a nice list.
You mean those lists of races based upon peoples speculations and desires? I'd pretty much consider this the offical list. I'm confident the FG version of Volo's is production ready, so I can't see this list changing. Therefore, since its the only "official" list that I've seen presented, I don't see how to argue it's incomplete.

gyor

Legend
You mean those lists of races based upon peoples speculations and desires? I'd pretty much consider this the offical list. I'm confident the FG version of Volo's is production ready, so I can't see this list changing. Therefore, since its the only "official" list that I've seen presented, I don't see how to argue it's incomplete.

We were told that there was a table of "quick races" during the D&D extralife podcast.

gyor

Legend
I don't really know what to think. I love the idea of having official stats for hobgoblins and am warm to the other goblinoids and orcs. Unless the aasimar and goliath are substantively different from previous offerings, those feel like a cop out. The other races are "meh", to me.

Overall, the book doesn't have me excited. Between the Forgotten Realms ties and mixed bag of previews, I'll probably pass. Pity.

I have a feeling the Aasimar will be, Mike Mearls wasn't satisified with the DMG Aasimar and there are tables for Angellic Guide Names and Angellic Guide Natures, revealed in Fantasy Grounds screen shots, so I think Angellic Guide might be a racial feature for Aasimar.

Goliaths at least might get additional fluff.

Istbor

Dances with Gnolls
Kenku, Lizardmen, Goblins. I am excited. Mostly about Lizardmen (they have a huge role in my homebrew campaign). While I like Dragonborn too, Lizardmen just hold a special place in my heart as an important reptilian race.

And Kenku? Who doesn't like little crow people? I typically add some sort of Skeksis looking thing 'cus bird people. Perhaps I will simply substitute now with these little guys?[h=1][/h] race in there cus bird people

Remove ads

Remove ads