• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The 10 Player Races in Volo's Guide Revealed

On its Volo's Guide to Monsters product page, Fantasy Grounds has a screenshot up listing the 10 playable races - Aasimar, Bugbear, Firbolg, Goblin, Goliath, Hobgoblin, Kenku, Kobold, Lizardfolk, Orc, Tabaxi, Triton, Yuan-ti Pureblood.

On its Volo's Guide to Monsters product page, Fantasy Grounds has a screenshot up listing the 10 playable races - Aasimar, Bugbear, Firbolg, Goblin, Goliath, Hobgoblin, Kenku, Kobold, Lizardfolk, Orc, Tabaxi, Triton, Yuan-ti Pureblood.

New-Monstrous-Races.jpg

Product Page: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/product.xcp?id=WOTC5EVGM
Screenshot: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/images/screenshots/Screenshots/WOTC5EVGM/New-Monstrous-Races.jpg

Biggest surprise for me is Kenku. Bugbear is also unexpected.

Screen Shot 2016-11-02 at 23.12.49.png

Screen Shot 2016-11-02 at 23.13.03.png

Screen Shot 2016-11-02 at 23.13.19.png

Screen Shot 2016-11-02 at 23.13.32.png

Screen Shot 2016-11-02 at 23.13.48.png

Save
Save
SaveSave

gyor

Legend
Further reddit spoilers have given us most of the ability traits for the Triton, and the complete writeups for Bugbears, Goblins, Hobgoblins and Kobolds. Bad news is, racial ability scores are back - Kobolds get -2 Strength, Orcs get -2 Intelligence. :(

Yeah that was a bad idea, where did you learn about the Kobolds -2?

QuietBrowser

First Post
Yeah that was a bad idea, where did you learn about the Kobolds -2?

The 5e D&D general thread on 4chan's /tg/ has been hosting leaked pictures of the book. A two-page spread showing the bottom 3/4s of the Triton and the entirety of the Bugbear, Goblin, Hobgoblin and Kobold entries is on there now.

Really don't approve of this backstep at ALL. I'll stick with my own kobolds before I take WotC's if this is going to be the damn material I've got to work with. :spit:

pukunui

Legend
I, for one, am not too fussed about the ability score penalties. What I'm not so sure about are things like the bugbear's Long-Limbed trait. I realized they've worded it so it can't be used with opportunity attacks but still ... the idea just doesn't sit well with me. If one of my players wanted to play a bugbear, I'd be inclined to remove that trait.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
Further reddit spoilers have given us most of the ability traits for the Triton, and the complete writeups for Bugbears, Goblins, Hobgoblins and Kobolds. Bad news is, racial ability scores are back - Kobolds get -2 Strength, Orcs get -2 Intelligence. :(
That's not bad news

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I, for one, am not too fussed about the ability score penalties. What I'm not so sure about are things like the bugbear's Long-Limbed trait. I realized they've worded it so it can't be used with opportunity attacks but still ... the idea just doesn't sit well with me. If one of my players wanted to play a bugbear, I'd be inclined to remove that trait.

It has been hypothesized that there is a strict math behind the PC Ra e options; if so, it seems difficult to imagine how they could make Orcs, that weren't either just Half-Orcs or built entirely differently. They trade 2 Int for Powerful Build and an attack ability (Aggressive, from the MM). Seems fair.

pukunui

Legend
[MENTION=6780330]Parmandur[/MENTION]: What you say seems reasonable. Not sure how it relates to what I said, though ...

gyor

Legend
The 5e D&D general thread on 4chan's /tg/ has been hosting leaked pictures of the book. A two-page spread showing the bottom 3/4s of the Triton and the entirety of the Bugbear, Goblin, Hobgoblin and Kobold entries is on there now.

Really don't approve of this backstep at ALL. I'll stick with my own kobolds before I take WotC's if this is going to be the damn material I've got to work with. :spit:

Thanks I found the pic, although navigating that hole is as pleasant as stabbing a dagger into ones brain and swirlling it around for giggles. But thanks anyways.

I first impression of the Kobold is by the gods I've never seen a race suck more.

But I thought about it for a while and the Kobold's mastery of Advange helps make up for it. Pack tactics even helps make up for -2 strength in strength builds somewhat.

You'll want some kind of pet, even if its just a familiar, to help make sure and ally is always around a target, so you have advantage.

A Kobold Arcane Trickster with a familiar would be cool. Or a Kobold BM Ranger.

Hobgoblin is good for Gishy wizards, +2 Con, +1 Intelligence, prof in martial weapons & light armour. Take the warcaster feat and use a great sword. Plus they can get a bonus to certain rolls on a failure depending on how many people see it embarrass itself.

Bugbear is basically a giant rogue, reach, surprise attack, powerful build, sneaky (free stealth prof), darkvision.

Goblin is good for Two Weapon fighter rangers, able to hide/disengage as a bonus action and deal level/damage 1st per short rest, darkvision. Fun bards too.

Triton is aquamen.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
[MENTION=6780330]Parmandur[/MENTION]: What you say seems reasonable. Not sure how it relates to what I said, though ...

Just agreeing that attribute mali are not deal-breakers; once you get away from more standard options, some sort of disadvantage becomes inevitable (even Dwarves and Drow in the PHB have fairly serious drawbacks).

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Thanks I found the pic, although navigating that hole is as pleasant as stabbing a dagger into ones brain and swirlling it around for giggles. But thanks anyways.

I first impression of the Kobold is by the gods I've never seen a race suck more.

But I thought about it for a while and the Kobold's mastery of Advange helps make up for it. Pack tactics even helps make up for -2 strength in strength builds somewhat.

You'll want some kind of pet, even if its just a familiar, to help make sure and ally is always around a target, so you have advantage.

A Kobold Arcane Trickster with a familiar would be cool. Or a Kobold BM Ranger.

Hobgoblin is good for Gishy wizards, +2 Con, +1 Intelligence, prof in martial weapons & light armour. Take the warcaster feat and use a great sword. Plus they can get a bonus to certain rolls on a failure depending on how many people see it embarrass itself.

Bugbear is basically a giant rogue, reach, surprise attack, powerful build, sneaky (free stealth prof), darkvision.

Goblin is good for Two Weapon fighter rangers, able to hide/disengage as a bonus action and deal level/damage 1st per short rest, darkvision. Fun bards too.

Triton is aquamen.

The Kobold and Orc disadvantages are jarring at first, but their advantages are pretty good, and fit in to stereotypical roles for those races pretty well; an Orc Wizard will remain an oddity, though still totally doable with the right rolls, but an Orc Fighter or Barbarian is king...

Remove ads

Remove ads