• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The 10 Player Races in Volo's Guide Revealed

On its Volo's Guide to Monsters product page, Fantasy Grounds has a screenshot up listing the 10 playable races - Aasimar, Bugbear, Firbolg, Goblin, Goliath, Hobgoblin, Kenku, Kobold, Lizardfolk, Orc, Tabaxi, Triton, Yuan-ti Pureblood.

On its Volo's Guide to Monsters product page, Fantasy Grounds has a screenshot up listing the 10 playable races - Aasimar, Bugbear, Firbolg, Goblin, Goliath, Hobgoblin, Kenku, Kobold, Lizardfolk, Orc, Tabaxi, Triton, Yuan-ti Pureblood.

New-Monstrous-Races.jpg

Product Page: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/product.xcp?id=WOTC5EVGM
Screenshot: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/images/screenshots/Screenshots/WOTC5EVGM/New-Monstrous-Races.jpg

Biggest surprise for me is Kenku. Bugbear is also unexpected.

Screen Shot 2016-11-02 at 23.12.49.png

Screen Shot 2016-11-02 at 23.13.03.png

Screen Shot 2016-11-02 at 23.13.19.png

Screen Shot 2016-11-02 at 23.13.32.png

Screen Shot 2016-11-02 at 23.13.48.png

Save
Save
SaveSave

Prakriti

Hi, I'm a Mindflayer, but don't let that worry you
Last edited by a moderator:

tuxgeo

Adventurer
Someone on reddit has the book.

Goliaths are the same, Aasimar have subraces now.

EDIT: forgot the link: https://www.reddit.com/r/dndnext/comments/5aqpe8/spoilers_just_picked_up_volos_guide_to_monsters/

Also shown in that reddit thread is the Index, which includes:
Abjurer, Archdruid, Bard, Boggle, Champion, Conjurer, Cow, Deinonychus, Diviner, Dolphin, Draegloth, Enchanter, Evoker, Firenewt, Flail snail, Illusionist, Kraken priest, Martial arts adept, Master thief, Meenlock, Necromancer, Sea spawn, Shadow mastiff, Shoosuva, Stegosaurus, Swashbuckler, Transmuter, War priest, Warlocks of three types of patron, Warlord, Wood woad, and Xvart.

What? The Warlord is a monster but not a playable thing?
Odd. At least they managed to include something called "Warlord" in the game, finally.

gyor

Legend
I like how there is an Aasimar for every alignment, Protector Aasimar for good, Scroug Aasimar for Nueutral, and Fallen Aasimar for evil. Not that I think alignment is a requirement for any if them, its just a flavour tendency.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
This list is a touch disappointing, in that it doesn't have the Aaracocra, who I now believe will be the only EE race not updated/printed in a Hardback. We have Genasi in PotA, Svirfneblin (curse their impossible to pronounce name!) in SCAG and now Goliaths in VGtM.

I bet Aarakocra are coming in the as-yet-unnanounced Rod of Seven Parts mega-adventure. Their MM fiction ties them in with the lore from that adventure (Wind Dukes and such) pretty nicely.

I'm A Banana;[URL="tel:6935149" said:
6935149[/URL]]I bet Aarakocra are coming in the as-yet-unnanounced Rod of Seven Parts mega-adventure. Their MM fiction ties them in with the lore from that adventure (Wind Dukes and such) pretty nicely.

That is very believable. I read the power score overview of that item and its previous appearances, and it does seem ripe for the big book treatment!

Lidgar

Gongfarmer
Also shown in that reddit thread is the Index, which includes:
Abjurer, Archdruid, Bard, Boggle, Champion, Conjurer, Cow, Deinonychus, Diviner, Dolphin, Draegloth, Enchanter, Evoker, Firenewt, Flail snail, Illusionist, Kraken priest, Martial arts adept, Master thief, Meenlock, Necromancer, Sea spawn, Shadow mastiff, Shoosuva, Stegosaurus, Swashbuckler, Transmuter, War priest, Warlocks of three types of patron, Warlord, Wood woad, and Xvart.

New NPC's?

QuietBrowser

First Post
Further reddit spoilers have given us most of the ability traits for the Triton, and the complete writeups for Bugbears, Goblins, Hobgoblins and Kobolds. Bad news is, racial ability scores are back - Kobolds get -2 Strength, Orcs get -2 Intelligence. :(

Remove ads

Remove ads