• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The 1701 reaches 1000 missions!

Torm

Explorer
Darth K'Trava said:
I didn't even know that Lt. Hawk was even gay! Unless it was in the book or quickly glossed over so fast that we missed it....
It wasn't in the book OR the movie. It was in a bloody press release, shortly before the movie!

Torm

Explorer
Crothian said:
Next Generation had two episdoes that almost delat with homsexualityy. The first was when Riker fell in the sexless character or the third gender person. THen there was the one where Dr Crusher fell for the TRill that got placed in afemale body after the male one died.
True, but you have to admit that they watered both of them down. In the Riker episode, she wasn't EITHER sex, and in the Crusher episode, the Trill seemed willing, but Crusher acted like, "well, you're female now, so that's that." Then, there was the DS9 episode that involved her getting reinvolved with the host of a symbiont whose former host one of her previous hosts had been married to. (Follow all that? ;) ) Now, they were both female, but it was watered down again by the fact that when they got married, they were M/F.

Peter David has been a little bolder in his Excalibur series, with the hermaphoditic crewperson and hir relationship with Dr. Selar, formerly of the Enterprise. But that's safely tucked away in novels that most casual Trek fans never read....

Torm

Explorer
Darth K'Trava said:
I think there's some sort of "credit" system that they have.... but it's rarely mentioned.
That's what I'm getting at - it isn't just "rarely mentioned", it is frequently contradicted. Consider the episode of TNG where they recovered three people in suspended animation from the 20th century, and Riker's conversation with the investments guy. He said humanity had changed and they just didn't NEED money anymore. And that's just one example. It needs consistency.

Crothian

First Post
Torm said:
True, but you have to admit that they watered both of them down. In the Riker episode, she wasn't EITHER sex, and in the Crusher episode, the Trill seemed willing, but Crusher acted like, "well, you're female now, so that's that." Then, there was the DS9 episode that involved her getting reinvolved with the host of a symbiont whose former host one of her previous hosts had been married to. (Follow all that? ;) ) Now, they were both female, but it was watered down again by the fact that when they got married, they were M/F.

Peter David has been a little bolder in his Excalibur series, with the hermaphoditic crewperson and hir relationship with Dr. Selar, formerly of the Enterprise. But that's safely tucked away in novels that most casual Trek fans never read....

it was also the late 80's though and the so called gay revolution hadn't really started to be widespread at that time. So, they did what they could.

Torm

Explorer
Crothian said:
it was also the late 80's though and the so called gay revolution hadn't really started to be widespread at that time. So, they did what they could.
True. But Voyager? Enterprise? Still nothing. And not just about gays - about almost ANY actual issues. Roddenberry would be disappointed....

Torm

Explorer
Crothian said:
they are no longer platforms for social change, notrhign wrong with that
There's EVERYTHING wrong with that!

The shows were never designed to provide an actual action-style challenge to the characters - their ubertech makes any challenge moot, and if it doesn't right away, it can be modified in 10 seconds with a pair of tweezers. It was obviously never meant to be a serious "hard sci-fi" dramatization of the future of space exploration - too much hand-waved tech, again, and too many mistakes made that we wouldn't make NOW. So what is left? The human factor! That's what Trek was supposed to be about, and they've lost it. :\

I'll allow that maybe that's because there's not enough meat there for a whole series. Which is why I suggest the things I do for a reenvisioning - to bring more hard sci-fi and more realistic tech into it.

Darth K'Trava

First Post
Crothian said:
they are no longer platforms for social change, notrhign wrong with that

But that was what the show was sorta based on. It was used, quite frequently, for Roddenberry to espouse his POV on various touchy subjects of the time. BUT neatly wrapped up in an alien culture so he'd be able to get it past NBC's censors.

Darth K'Trava

First Post
Torm said:
It wasn't in the book OR the movie. It was in a bloody press release, shortly before the movie!

I guess that's why I missed it.... :\

We don't usually see the press release and not all of us get the daily paper to read the bloody thing! :]

mojo1701

First Post
Torm said:

Also in the book, Section 31: Rogue. At least, I think it was Rogue... It was the TNG one. It took place 6 months before First Contact (with the exception of the prologue and the epilogue, that took place while the Enterprise-E was in spacedock).

Hawk had a "partner" aboard the Enterprise. That's pretty much it.

And I don't want the celebration of my 1000 posts to be closed by a mod, but the topic of homosexuality isn't as (pardon the pun) black and white as other topics discussed in Trek.

And the currency thing SHOULDN'T be explained. Let us continue to think about what would be the perfect system.

Remove ads