• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The 1701 reaches 1000 missions!

Crothian

First Post
Torm said:
There's EVERYTHING wrong with that!

The shows were never designed to provide an actual action-style challenge to the characters - their ubertech makes any challenge moot, and if it doesn't right away,

Except in DS9 when they meet the superior Dominion technology, and Voyager meet up with plenty of civilizations that were equal or better then them, and Enterprise the earlings are playing catch up technology wise a lot.

Crothian

First Post
Darth K'Trava said:
But that was what the show was sorta based on. It was used, quite frequently, for Roddenberry to espouse his POV on various touchy subjects of the time. BUT neatly wrapped up in an alien culture so he'd be able to get it past NBC's censors.

that's what TOS was aboutm next gerneat ion moved away from that a bit and then the other series were really nothing like that at all

Torm

Explorer
mojo1701 said:
Let us continue to think about what would be the perfect system.
True. But actually setting a system in place would provide for consistency - and, if it were one with its own problems that could become plot hooks (like the two I described before - How about a story arc where Vulcan is thinking of secession because of it? Or one where, because of a war or some such, the Federation contemplates initiating a draft from the 90% do-nothing population?), it might lead to more, not less, thought on the matter. :)

Torm

Explorer
Crothian said:
Except in DS9 when they meet the superior Dominion technology, and Voyager meet up with plenty of civilizations that were equal or better then them, and Enterprise the earlings are playing catch up technology wise a lot.
I'll give you that Enterprise is a little backward - but they're already running across tech that there is NO way they should be for consistency with the other shows: holotechnology, Borg tech, etc.

And as for DS9 and Voyager, well, I liked DS9, but BOTH of them had problems with what my friends and I call "convenient idiocy", where someone conveniently forgets what their tech is capable of. An example that permeates ALL of Trek is use of transporters - it has been established again and again that if you try to beam something through shields, most of the time you will grab something, but it will show up as slag on your pads. BUT - what if you don't WANT what you're grabbing, you just want someone else not to have it anymore? Like their computer core. :] And you let the slag beam out into space. :] :]

LOTS of shows have this problem - see Clark's proper use (or lack thereof) of his powers on Smallville.

Torm

Explorer
P.S. The Scramblers (scrambling transporters) are one of the weapons systems on my Enterprise 170100. Of course, most of the major powers have multi-layered, multi-phasic shielding and systems that detect for transporter beams and try to counter their frequency, so it isn't as big an advantage as you might think. :)

Remove ads