The Acrimonious Adventurer Association

Jon Potter

First Post
Hairy Minotaur said:
The body of a human lies naked and flayed upon the snow, his body burnt a dark dusk color, his hair black and almost insubstantial. Xanthos approaches the body, as he does the words dissipate upon an unseen breeze. Looking down at the body, a pang of recognition glances across Xanthos’ memories and he realizes who he's looking at.

“Kessen?” Xanthos says aloud

Nice.

:cool:

And I really do feel for Xanthos; I'd be pulling my hair out with these guys. Laughing all the while, mind you. :D

Jon Potter said:
Nice.

:cool:

And I really do feel for Xanthos; I'd be pulling my hair out with these guys. Laughing all the while, mind you. :D

It gets worse, wait until the party finally gets a cleric to join them.... or when Menthos' evil nature comes out of the closet.... or when Xanthos finds his original heart still beats....

The river card is played

The keep remains on edge and alert, ever watchful of the mountain range to the north and the rocky hills to the east, expecting an attack at any moment. Xanthos threw himself into repairing the collapsed portion of the north wall; he along with Doopa did most of the heavy lifting in lieu of winches.

Haimish inspired courage and competence in the makeshift masons as they repaired the wall to their best efforts. Eeyore retreated to ponder who, what, why, and how Kessen’s body was dumped in the middle of the keep; an enemy that can seemingly reach anywhere would be a dangerous opponent indeed.

Aleena returned to Menthos within a few hours with Statinisor’s reply to the warlock’s request for additional firepower to combat the cold creatures they had faced:

“Give the bag and it’s contents to Thruvimhurax the Cunning, I will send two Opals with a man baring the sign of distress, he will not know who he is meeting so you must intercept him prior to the Pentacles doing so.”

“What’s the sign of distress?” Menthos asked

Aleena winced, but retrieved a holly branch from her dresser drawer. Withdrawing a small knife from her bodice, she proceeded to strip the branch. After completing that she held the branch out as if dowsing for water, “Then you would ask if had lost my way, to which I would reply yes”.

“Hokey, and why would I need to keep it from the pentacles?” Menthos asked

“Because they would be faith bound to assist the man and would find the opals and the messenger may assume these are the people he is to deliver to.” Aleena answered

“Who is Thruvimhurax the Cunning?” Menthos asked

“I do not know that name, perhaps you could check with your bard friend?” Aleena responds

Menthos narrowed his eyes and pondered the reply for a moment, wondering silently about traitors within Kador’s ranks. He pushes that thought to the back of his mind for the moment, and excuses himself to go find Gorn.

“Ya want me ta wat?” Gorn replies

“Anyone new, I don’t care if it’s a corpse, you come find me regardless of what I’m doing and I’ll check them out first.” Menthos instructs

“I ain’t givin’ control o’er the security of dis keep to you.” Gorn argues

“You won’t be you’d be adding an extra layer of protection. Me.” Menthos advises

“Dat ain’t protection, dats an invitation to have dis keep run o’er wit little yous.” Gorn objects

“Look old man, I don’t care if I have to camp out on your ass to make this happen, so we can do this benignly or we can do this by me giving you the worst case of hemorrhoids you’ve ever scratched. What’s it going to be?” Menthos replies

“Do’na be threaten me, I got me eye on ya. I been watchin’ ya, you ain’t the only one wif secrets.” Gorn answers

“Yeah? Well I don’t care that you still sleep with your binky, or that you shave your ass hair with a pair of goat dentures. That still won’t detract from me crawling up inside you and squatting until you comply with this order, you have a problem with it, you go talk to Aleena.” Menthos responds

Gorn snorts his disapproval and heads off to find Aleena. Menthos spotted him about ten minutes later, bursting through the inner tower door, fuming with rage and hell bent on ruining the warlock’s day. Menthos decided to spend the rest of the afternoon in Aleena’s bed, a place Gorn wouldn’t dare look for him. So Menthos snuck around the assembled masons rebuilding the north wall and made it back inside the priest’s quarters before he was spotted.

Two days passed and the wall had been repaired, the town was even more on edge fearing the lull in scouting parties and no frost giant attack only meant the actual attack would be far worse the longer they made the keep wait to battle them. That night it began to snow heavily, shouts of terror and a call to arms rung out over the keep at three in the morning. Someone along the northern battlements had spotted movement against the black background. When seconds turned to minutes which then began an hour, the keep relaxed a little.

“There’s going to be six to eight feet of snow in the keep by morning at this rate.” Xanthos stated

“Oh no.” Gorn gasped

“What?” Haimish inquired

“They’re going to bury us in snow and then pick us off one by one as we’d be unable to fight effectively in waist high snow.” Eeyore answered

“Well the snow’s not magical.” Menthos states, using his warlock ability to detect magical auras.

“Yes, but that doesn’t mean this small storm didn’t grow to huge size because of the presence of the ice treant, it could be exasperating the problem by aggravating the cold and winds.” Xanthos answered.

“Eh, a couple of firestorms centered on the clouds above will fix the problem.” Menthos answers

“Fix what problem? Human habitation here? Because all you would do is create falling globs of water that would freeze and crush those below.” Xanthos replies

“How’s that different from eight feet of snow on top of you? You lack the vision to see through this problem.” Menthos retorts

“If genocide is what you want there are more effective ways that wouldn’t leave survivors. If getting rid of the snow is your concern then you’re going about it the wrong way. Either way you’re a self-centered moron.” Xanthos replies

“What are some of those no survivor ways you speak of? I find your assertions intriguing and I wish to subscribe to your plot device.” Menthos answers

“I’m going to go scout out the giant’s camp and see what they’re doing, maybe we can get a better idea of what they may be planning.” Xanthos advised

“What should we be doing here?” Eeyore inquired

“Be vigilant.” Xanthos answers

“Doopa try that once, get put in jail.” The ogre replies

“He meant keep an eye open, keep a look out for anything, not vigilante.” Haimish explains

“Oh, but Doopa can’t take eye out of head.” The barbarian states

“I think we should wait.” Menthos advises

“Why? Looking for a way out?” Xanthos accuses

“No, I’ll just be better equipped to handle the ice tree in a couple more days.” Menthos answers

“Why’s that?” Eeyore inquires

“I’m not going to explain it to ranger, you wouldn’t understand. I think Xanthos should scout out the giant’s camp and Hledra and then we’ll formulate our physical response.” Menthos offers

“Is your attention span so bad that you can’t even pay attention to your own conversations? Is that not what I just proposed?” Xanthos asked exasperated

“No, you proposed scouting the giant’s camp, I added Hledra in there, making it a completely new request.” Menthos says proudly

Xanthos shakes his head in disbelief as he transforms into an eagle and soars into the falling snow, disappearing into the clouds. He heads north and quickly covers the ground to the giant’s former camp. The only thing remaining is a brilliantly glowing “door” in the middle of the valley, no bodies, no tree, no sign of life. Swopping in low for a better look, Xanthos feels the cold protection he placed on himself failing, which confuses the shifter as he should still have several minutes left. The closer he gets to the glowing monolithic structure, the colder he gets, Xanthos veers off and flies parallel to the thing and as he passes it, he realizes that it’s a two dimensional gate.

Xanthos circles the valley one last time before heading off to scout out Hledra, satisfied that he had discovered why this autumn storm packed the force of the heart of winter, Xanthos headed east. Reaching the enemy city, Xanthos noted it was snowing their as well. Although he failed to locate the orc or the ogre mage he did spot several dozen kobolds scurrying back and forth from a number of buildings. After a few more minutes, Xanthos turned and headed back to Kindoras.

Gorn awoke every healthy body he could and had makeshift shovels passed out to them, most comprised of broken shields and half of breastplates that were no longer serviceable. For the next four hours the keep’s residents kept themselves from getting buried, when the first signs that the storm was relenting the keep rejoiced and Haimish broke into a tearful rendition of “Happy Birthday to me” that seemed to distract the workers from their burning muscles and aching backs.

Around noon when the clouds had broken and a freezing sun peeked out through the clouds Gorn sent half of the keep back to bed to rest. Haimish, Doopa, and Eeyore decided to stay up and help with various activities. Menthos however took leave and went back to bed, but not before reminding Gorn to come get him if any strangers ask for permission to gain entrance to the keep.

Menthos fell back asleep easily and drifted off into a deep slumber, soon after the nightmare began. Menthos’ dream of owning his own harem was ripped to scrap by cold, black, icy claws. Forcing his dream to the sides of his consciousness, the claws scraped against his will burning his very soul. Two small points of light appeared in the darkness beyond the claws, one blue and the other red, both twinkling and becoming brighter.

Then the voice came, “Antithesis to you I am, born of the remnants of the first to be called by the god you suffer for. My power is limited only by the dream of it I have yet to have; I exist across your life like a stain of habit. You wish to find me? You will have to cease looking where you expect answers; I will be here waiting for you, taunting you, playing with you as a child plays with a cricket. One by one your limbs will fall off, your song will stop and you’ll be left there undulating in your own visceral mass. Waiting for me to end your suffering, for that is what I do, that is what I am. The end to your suffering under a false pretense.”

Menthos woke with a start, to say he was cold would be an understatement, he could see his heavy breath in the air in front of him. He swung his legs over and readies himself to spring from his bed, only to feel a searing pain in his feet. Looking down he found his toes white with frost and his toenails blue and dying. Limping his way down the hallway to Aleena’s door, he entered to find the priest bent over attending to her own feet colored the same as the warlock’s. A knowing glanced passed before them and Menthos hobbled his way to a chair to await his turn at the healing touch.

That's just cold

Xanthos quickly located Doopa as he flew into the keep, transforming back into an elf and motioning the ogre over in the same movement.

“I have a plan; I am going to gain entry into Hledra by becoming an overburdened horse. The leaders should add me to the stables allowing me a greater chance to observe the city undetected.” Xanthos explains

“Uh, ok. You need Doopa to rescue you?” Doopa inquires

“No, I’m going to need to make my presentation as perfect as possible, so in that regards I need you to saddle up on my back as I gallop as hard as I can for as long as my body holds up, this will make my ruse as a tired horse much more believable.” Xanthos answers

“Ok, Doopa likes rides. Does Xanthos ride crash in the water?” Doopa asks excitedly

“I do not believe I will have time to indulge your childhood regressions.” Xanthos replies

As Aleena worked the healing magic over the soles of Menthos’ feet, the door to the room is thrust open as a heavily breathing Doopa bull rushes into the room.

“What’s the matter?” Menthos almost demands as he shoots straight up into a standing position expecting the news of an attack.

“Xanthos want Doopa to ride him hard for practice.” The ogre restates

Good thing Menthos wasn’t drinking anything at that moment, it would have been shellacked over the walls, “What?” Menthos managed to get out between giggles.

“Doopa will ride Xanthos so hard horse-man will collapse.” Doopa reiterated

“Do I need to buy tickets for the mule show, or do I get a VIP seat?” Menthos asks

“Doopa not know why dirty elf need ticket to watch Doopa mount Xanthos.” The ogre explains

“Doopa, my naïve lumberjack, has it ever occurred to you that your fate may be to bring an alternative lifestyle to the ogres of the Cloudwalls?” Menthos asks

“Doopa already planning on bringing balanced diet to clan, eating bugs and perytons give ogres very much bad gas.” Doopa answers

Menthos follows Doopa out into the courtyard where an impatient Xanthos waits to get going.

“I told you not to tell that one anything, he does not need to be privy to my plan.” Xanthos states

“Well, I’m glad he did. At first I was skeptical that this whole business of him riding you hard until you collapsed was just a ploy to get some quality time in with Doopa.” Menthos says

“What’s the problem guys?” Haimish shows up to the conversation

“I am going to infiltrate Hledra and bring back the heart of the orc warlord as payment for the theft of my own.” Xanthos elaborates

“I don’t think having sex with an ogre is going to accomplish that or make them throw open the gates of the city ahead of your arrival.” Menthos counters

“What? What gave you the notion that this was in any way not a reconnaissance mission?” Xanthos says over the stunned silence from Haimish and Doopa

“Okay, looks like I need to go something about a song or something other than stand here with you people here, now.” Haimish gets out while backing away and whistling a tune.

“Hey, what you want to charm Doopa for is your own business, but at least you could use better code words than; take my out into the woods and rock my world.” Menthos suggests

“I shall endeavor to remember that tip when I return to increase your body’s mineral content through a piercing application of my sword.” Xanthos states and transforms into a horse

Doopa and Xanthos are gone for most of the day, the rest of the party help provide maintenance around the keep. As night begins to creep across the Majestics, Xanthos and Doopa return with the ogre carrying an extremely exhausted Xanthos slung over his shoulder. Xanthos forced himself to lean up and whisper in Doopa’s ear, which caused Doopa to alter his path and avoid Menthos as they walked through the courtyard of the keep.

Xanthos left the next morning far ahead of sunrise and flew to within a mile of Hledra, at the time Xanthos saw the night sky clearly and thought nothing of it. Transforming into a tired and abused horse, Xanthos made his way closer and closer to the enemy. Ascending the final hill before Hledra would come into view, Xanthos thought about the torment he would allow the orc to feel before quickly ending his life. These thoughts fueled Xanthos and distracted him as he crested the hill and limped into the valley below.

The shacks and hovels of Hledra’s kobold residents passed by the preoccupied Xanthos without so much a protest of his presence. It wasn’t until Xanthos stood before Hledra’s tower keep that he thought it odd he had seen nor heard anyone or anything. Turning back he noted there were no fires burning in the kobold’s town, and then remembering the night sky had been clear. Xanthos panicked and visualized the entire city sacking Kindoras Keep; guilt wracked his mind as he “saw” Haimish and Doopa ripped to shreds without Xanthos there to protect them.

Xanthos returns to avian form and without regard to his safety flies back to Kindoras as quickly as his wings and the tailwind take him. Keeping his attention split between the horizon and the ground below him, Xanthos searches for evidence that a massive army trudged through the heavy snow on its way to Kindoras. Finding evidence of that lacking, Xanthos worried that Hledra may have come down from the Majestics with their frost giant pals and attacked from that direction. Xanthos shifted his flight plan and headed into the Majestics to look for passage of Hledra along that route.

Xanthos returned to the valley where they defeated the previous frost giant force and found that the ice gate was still functioning and illuminated its surrounding cliff walls in a pale blue glow, making them seem as enormous icebergs. Still there was no evidence that Hledra advanced on Kindoras from this direction either. Confused but anxious, Xanthos sped back to Kindoras hoping that it still stood. He found it exactly as he left it.

“That’s odd; I wonder where they all went. Did you get into the castle at all?” Haimish inquired

“No, I only saw the kobolds residences were empty and flew back here.” Xanthos answered

“Looks like Hledra didn’t want your impression of used meat, maybe you should try again as a giant carrot?” Menthos offers

“We should leave immediately and find them. An army that can seemingly disappear over the span of a couple days is alarming. Also disturbing is the inference that Hledra abandoned their city for another destination.” Eeyore interjects

“Wherever they went it wasn’t west.” Xanthos answers

“Doopa say they went down.” The ogre states while pointing at the ground beneath him

“The devils; lure an army into thinking they’d fled and then when the occupying force is asleep they burst from the ground like a pustule to overwhelm them and destroy them before they even realize what happened.” Xanthos imagines, clenching his fist and drawing his lips taunt.

“You guys are all paranoid; they probably went to their winter vacation spots along the Tarantis coast. Better fishing there this time of year.” Menthos throws in for consideration

“Maybe the ice gate teleported the whole army somewhere? Maybe it allows them to attack at long range and we caught them away from home?” Haimish postulates

“That’s a solution I had not considered, perhaps a trek back to the ice tree’s valley is in order?” Xanthos replies

“And what do you plan on doing once you get there? Go through the gate?” Menthos asks

“No, I will shut it down.” Xanthos answers

The party readies for the grueling hike into the southern Majestics, due to the snow Xanthos felt it would take just as long for him to dig a new tunnel big enough for Doopa and Eeyore’s tiger to crawl through than in would be for them to just walk there themselves.

It takes the party two days to reach the valley, they spy the sickening glow hours before they actually reach the valley though and it helps keep them on track. Every so often Xanthos would ask Eeyore if he saw any tracks that might be from frost giants or small goblinoids and every time Eeyore would reply with a “no”.

Even with Xanthos’ extra protections against the cold, the proximity of the ice gate still sent chills through the magic and threatened to grip their souls. Xanthos approached the pale blue gate first and peered around its two-dimensional edges.

“Haimish please come up here and cast detect magic on this to see what we’re dealing with.” Xanthos implored

“Why him? I can do it without thinking.” Menthos answered

“I don’t trust you.” Xanthos replied

Haimish finished the words and concentrated on the gate, as he did so, the magic of the spell seemed to coalesce around his finger tips and then flake off like snow, falling in a freezing shower of magic at Haimish’s feet.

“Premature ensorcellation problem Haimish?” Menthos observed

Haimish just stared blankly in disbelief at the rainbow hued snow at his feet.

“Wait, this isn’t a two-way gate, it’s a one way gate, pouring the heart of the plane of ice out into this valley.” Xanthos determined

“Wow, that’s some impressive magics.” Eeyore stated

“Where’d Hledra go then?” Haimish asked

The party lets the question linger as Eeyore and Doopa advance to check out the gate for them selves. As they approach Xanthos and Haimish notice an aura around their bodies that tapers behind them like a comet tail, rainbow hued snow precipitates from this tail and falls upon the white snow below them.

“Wait! Your energy protection is being frozen away, get back from the gate lest it falters and you freeze permanently.” Xanthos instructs

The party halts their progress and begin to retreat, Haimish finds moving difficult almost as if he’s been frozen to the very spot he stood. Looking down he finds dark blue ice encrusted forearms reaching out of the snow beneath him and holding his legs in place.

“Ahh, I’m under attack!” Haimish shouts, his voice however carries only a few feet before the sound is frozen in midair and comes crashes down upon the hard snow.

Haimish squirms to get away from the arms and as he twists his body, he loses his balance and falls into the two feet of snow beneath him. Doopa catches the movement out of the corner of his eye and moves towards the fallen bard to help him. Two arms reach up through the snow and grasp Doopa’s ankles, the ogre forces his feet through the holds and his great strength is able to separate the hands from their forearm owners.

Haimish tries to drag himself away from the grasping hands, only to find he’s aiding the upbringing of the arm’s owner as a dark blue corpse rises from the snow beneath him. It’s hands clench the bard’s knees tightly as it slowly pulls Haimish towards it’s former hiding place. Ice cold fingers instantly cause frostbite around Haimish’s knees, the corpse’s mouth is twisted in a mockery of horror and pain it’s shattered mind knowing only that it must extinguish all warmth. It’s black soulless eyes belie cold determination and a malevolence that only the most depraved can even hint at.

Haimish kicks at the corpse’s face as it draws him closer, small bits of ice fleck off at the impact site, Haimish notes it’s face is a solid as iron and the only damage done was to the ligaments in Haimish’s knee. Xanthos leaps upon the undead creature as a polar bear and rips the thing’s head off, black slush oozes from it’s neck as the grip around Haimish’s legs finally abates. Doopa tosses the de-handed corpse he fished from the snow beneath him and tosses it into the air, using his massive club he then bats the undead monster into the gate. The body slows down as it reaches the gate and the creature ceases moving altogether just prior to colliding with the gate. Millions of frozen pieces of zombie are scattered across the valley as the undead abomination is neutralized.

Dozens of small ice clouds emerge from Doopa’s mouth as the barbarian’s shouts of victory are frozen and crash to the ground. The party races back to Menthos’ position where they can finally communicate.

“Well, I think we can finally lay to rest any question on who the smartest person here is.” Menthos states

“What were those things?” Haimish inquires

“The welcoming committee, this was meant as a threat. We’re getting the attention of whomever left this gate here.” Xanthos answers

“The way the gate freezes anything close to it, there would be no need for the zombies to be there except as a maid service or for an overkill of protection.” Eeyore states

“We’re annoying someone.” Xanthos says almost tauntingly, “I’m coming for you orc, prepare your pyre! I will know no mercy!” Xanthos shouts at the gate.

Jon Potter

First Post
I smell Frostburn all over this scene. Am I right? And were there rules for words freezing and wards dispelling in there or are those your own bits of genius. I love the visual, regardless.

good stuff!

Jon Potter said:
I smell Frostburn all over this scene. Am I right? And were there rules for words freezing and wards dispelling in there or are those your own bits of genius. I love the visual, regardless.

good stuff!

Frost & Fur actually.

And the freezing spells and words idea came from 2e Planescape regarding the Plane of Ice and how it would freeze thoughts (as well as anything else) so this battle was about as close as they could get to being in the plane and not get instantly frozen.

Jon Potter

First Post
Hairy Minotaur said:
Frost & Fur actually.

Ah! Haven't looked at that one, but I've read lots of good things about it, this included.

And the freezing spells and words idea came from 2e Planescape regarding the Plane of Ice and how it would freeze thoughts (as well as anything else) so this battle was about as close as they could get to being in the plane and not get instantly frozen.

I should have recognized the influence of older editions in that scene! 3.X is a huge step forward in mechanics, but it lost a lot of the wonky flavor that used to frequently crop up in 1e and 2e. IMO, of course.

Hints and allegations

The party returned to Kindoras Keep mostly despondent over the gate’s interactions with their protections and how to combat them. Xanthos however used the event to fuel his resolve to solve the riddle of the gate. No sooner had the party arrived back at the keep, that Xanthos took his leave and headed north to Catalan to discuss the gate with the druids there.

Menthos looked around the compound for Gorn but did not immediately spy him. He decided to head off to bed for a bit of a rest and would look for the captain after napping. Haimish found a group of workers taking a break from their repair duties and elected to entertain them for awhile, whilst Eeyore and Doopa helped boil snow into water for storage during the fast approaching early winter.

Menthos headed down the hallway towards his room and spotted a pyromancer loitering outside his door.

“You. You have a lot of explaining to do!” The pyromancer spoke as he pointed an index finger at Menthos

Menthos ignored the man’s words and walked up into the path of the man’s jabbing finger, causing the pyromancer to jam it into Menthos’ leather jerkin. “Physical provocation will get you a discount disembowelment and a free disease.”

“You’re the one who walked into my hand.” The pyromancer answered

“Semantics. Your soul is forfeit, just in time too as I need an ice cube for my tea.” Menthos replies

“If it’s a duel you’re looking for, I am sure you will find me more than capable of cremating your remains beyond recovery.” The pyromancer challenges

“Really? If you’re so mighty why the hell is it so cold outside? Shouldn’t you, with all your power, be able to at least start a bonfire?” Menthos retorts, the pyromancer is caught off guard with no defense for the teifling’s words and is only able to stand in place mouth agape taking the warlock’s abuse, “Why don’t you go back to playing with your tinder twigs and flint and leave the balls of fire and shafts of scorchingness to the professionals?” Menthos finishes

The pyromancer walks off defeated with a bleeding ego. Menthos all fired up now from this encounter, changes his mind about a nap and spins around to head back to Aleena’s quarters.

“Oh you’re back, did Timbre find you?” Aleena asks as Menthos enters her room

“Who?” Menthos answers

“Timbre, one of the pyromancers. Apparently someone showed up and the front gate about two hours ago waving the distress sign. Timbre saw it and rushed to let the man enter only to be rebuffed by Gorn who told Timbre that only you were to clear strangers and he needed to wait until you returned. He was pacing outside your room for the last hour waiting for you to get back.” Aleena explains

“No, he has not given me the message, and in fact if this is going to be typical of his follow-through then I suggest you light a fire under his ass and get him with the program here.” Menthos demands

“Ooh, I like it when you get demanding. You have to be somewhere important? Maybe you can stay for awhile and tell me about your trip?” Aleena asks, while rising and undoing a lace on her bodice.

“I got to go see Gorn, I’ll be back to fill you in later. You stay here and steam over that for a little bit and get hot about it.” Menthos suggests to Aleena’s glee.

Menthos heads back out to the keep’s gate where an impatient Gorn taps his foot on the hard ground as he watches the teifling approach.

“Where ya been? I aint got all day ta track ya down ‘bout guests. I ain’t yer butler.” Gorn protests

“Thanks shorty, here’s a tip.” Menthos answers while tossing a copper piece at the Captain of the Guard and opening the gatehouse.

“Hey! I donna take bribes.” Gorn throws the copper piece back at Menthos, “an ya need to get yer firecrackers new attitudes ‘fore I hafta do it meself.” Gorn states

“No bribes huh? Here, I got another tip for you.” Menthos replies by flipping his middle finger up at the Gorn, then slipping inside the gatehouse as the captain’s fist ricochets off the door as it closes. Menthos then locks the door from the inside, much to the chagrin to a fuming door pounding Gorn.

“Are you in distress?” Menthos asks the huddled figure

A hooded head rises up from slouched shoulders and catches a bit of the afternoon sun through a window. The man’s face looks wind burned and scarred beyond excessive, a knotty finger emerges from within the man’s robes and points an accusing finger at Menthos.

“Are you the homeowner I seek?” the man voice croaks

“Yes, have you the package?” Menthos asks

The man produces a small cloth bag tied with bright red twine, and a smaller cloth wrapped package. He hands the wrapped package over to Menthos first; the warlock confirms his suspicions that this package contains the fire opals. The man hands the bag over next. Menthos opens it to find a black void; he looks back at the messenger with a quizzical expression.

“For Thruvimhurax the Cunning.” The man answers

“Yes, now who is that exactly?” Menthos asks and looks back towards the messenger only to find an empty set of robes covering a pile of ashes. Sighing heavily, Menthos tucks the bag and opals into his clothes and unlocks the gatehouse door.

Gorn bursts in, axe drawn and eyes wild.

“Oy, wat happen’d?” Gorn ask of the messenger while keeping his axe trained on the teifling.

“He pissed me off.” Menthos said and walked into Gorn’s axe, Gorn gave ground and dropped the weapon in fearful awe of the warlock.

Once Menthos had gone beyond close earshot, Gorn turned to his lieutenants and announced, “I wanna guard post’d on ‘im at all times, or it’ll be yer jobs”

Xanthos arrives in Catalan discretely and proceeds to the town’s druidic leaders; he demands an audience and waits outside the dinning hall for his opportunity. After three minutes, Xanthos determined it was taking too long and he burst into the hall, causing wooden spoons to fall out of hands and startled gasps to ripple across the table.

“What is the meaning of this?” someone demands

“There is a gate pouring the elemental plane of ice into our world, not a half day’s travel to the east as the eagle flies.” Xanthos states

“Yes, we are aware of its presence. That’s still no excuse for rudeness.” A druid reprimands

“It needs to be shut down; it is the cause of the early winter. It is not natural.” Xanthos replies

“How do you know it is the cause of an early winter this year? Could it not just be making it colder and actually have nothing to do with the earlier onset of winter this year?” a druid asks

“Better yet why would you want to staunch the flow of a primal element into our world? Shouldn’t you be out there protecting its site from interlopers?” Another druid speaks up.

“Why is this even up for debate? This gate is not naturally occurring, it freezes all spells and words in its vicinity.” Xanthos responds

“Well, then how do you propose we close the gate? If our spells don’t work and we can’t talk, what do you think would work? A giant cork?” A druid replies, amid nods and voices of agreement with this druid’s question

“You do not believe in restoring nature’s balance? Your only wish is to be left alone? Happily I report to you that the gate shall grant your request when it turns this world into a snowball for the plane of ice to play with. What nature will you be protecting then?” Xanthos scathes the druids

“My good servant, we are not yet decided upon the true purpose behind the gate, nor how it came to be. Without this knowledge we cannot rule out for certain that this is not the path Rontra wished for us.” A druid replies

“Fine, I will return with this proof, but not before I show Rontra your level of complacency in your faith.” Xanthos warns

The shifter left the druids of Catalan and flew over the ice gate valley again, again noting the peaceful tranquility of the ice-covered valley below. Xanthos then sped off to buzz Hledra, even before he had reached the city; Xanthos again perceived no smoke trails from fires within Hledra’s boundaries. Xanthos flew circles around the tower hoping to get a shot taken at him.

Instead Xanthos found nothing, anger welled up in the shifter, “How dare they leave me to die, and then fail to remain for my revenge. I will find you wherever you’ve gone. I will be the shadow behind your back, the whisper on the wind. This is your cue to start running!” Xanthos shouts.

The Dragon Font

Xanthos returns to Kindoras with fire in his eyes, he explains the apparently empty state that Hledra finds itself in currently.

“Time to loot!” Menthos shouts

“This is most perplexing, why abandon their whole city? There was no sign of struggle, no sign of destruction?” Eeyore inquires

“None, the only thing emptier is my vengeance.” Xanthos answers

“I think you have issues, too much hate will lead you down a dark path that only ends with your death.” Haimish offers

“That may be true; however our side gets the girls.” Menthos explains

“I am not interested in procreation; I want to feel the beating heart of that orc leader fade away in my hands as I squeeze the blood from it. I want to digest its foul nature and grow a field in its waste.” Xanthos relates

“Yep, definitely anger issues.” Haimish states

“You should be interested in procreation, helps motivate me. Hell, the only reason I’m here for this meeting was that I was told Xanthos found something interesting at Hledra and I thought you had brought back some elven slave girls.” Menthos replies

“I find differentiating between your ego and your libido to be a trying endeavor.” Eeyore offers

“Too bad for you, I have a built in moral compass and it’s never pointed me in the wrong direction. Well, there was that one time in Carnage and a female bugbear, but it was only one time and I was so drunk that I don’t even count it.” Menthos relates

“Little man is sick.” Doopa says to Menthos

“Enough of this I return to Hledra this afternoon. Travel with me if you wish, but I shall not return without locating the orc who stole my heart.” Xanthos demands

“Aw, shucks Xanthos. I didn’t know that orc meant that much to you, see that’s why I don’t do love; gets too messy and then feelings get hurt and eventually you hate each other like you do now. Hey Haimish, write me up a good gnomish pity song about this I need something to sing to myself when a cold shower isn’t available.” Menthos answers

“How about I just give you the many songs I written about you?” Haimish says with a smirk

“No thanks, I know I’m great and just knowing you wrote ballads about me brings me such joy that I feel, nay I know that I will be unable to ever properly repay you for that.” Menthos answers, laying the sarcasm on thick.

“Why are you even here?” Haimish asks

“Because I’m good at killing and you’re not.” Menthos answers immediately

Haimish was going to respond but thought it best not to go down that road, playing with a psychopath’s mind offers no reward, especially when the big ogre with the tree trunk club was nodding in agreement to the warlock’s statement.

The troupe headed out right after breakfast, burrowed horses led them to Hledra by the next morning. The little snow that had fallen over the night had changed the complexion of the goblin city from an oppressive dark nature to a cold frosted but still intimidating nature. The snow blended the city’s hard lines into the white background of the mountains behind it giving the city a less stark ambience.

Xanthos wasted no time in running up to the front door of the central tower, the rest of the group held back expecting the elf to get riddled with arrows and daggers; however Xanthos made it to the door with no effort and no ambush. He was soon joined by the rest of the group each one less tentative in line than the next one. Eeyore brought up the rear and felt no need to watch his back.

Once at the door, Xanthos grabbed the brass rings and planned to pull the door open, however they both fell outward and crashed around the party.

“These doors had been ripped off their hinges and then someone replaced them by stacking them back onto the door frame.” Xanthos states

“What do you see inside?” Haimish inquires

“I see time as a lattice of infinite possibilities each flowing and melding into each other until there is only one clear undefined path of inestimable options.” Xanthos answers

“Quick, cast tongues.” Menthos says, elbowing Haimish

“Oh, and there’s giant tracks in the snow inside.” Xanthos finishes

“At least we have evidence of recent visitors.” Eeyore stated

The party entered the ground level of the tower, the human eyes adjusting to the dim light within. Several burn marks scared the walls like graffiti, giving the impression that something wide and on fire pushed its way down the hallway. Xanthos and Eeyore took lead, helping each other keep the giant tracks in sight and looking out for the general well-being of the party.

After meandering through several looted rooms and damaged hallways, Xanthos and Eeyore track a set of giant prints to a destroyed iron gate probably located opposite the entryway. A dead frost giant lay sprawled before the gate on the other side from the party. Xanthos turned the giant over to discover the cause of death, and finds the giant’s face and chest blistered so badly that the mere act of turning the body causes several to burst and a thick icy liquid escapes from each burst blister.

“Nasty magic, the orc must be nearby!” Xanthos exclaims as he walks passed the giant and onto a staircase leading to a natural cavern below the tower.

A soft blue light from the back of the cavern begins to grow as Xanthos descends the carved steps. Once at the base of the stairs, Xanthos peers over a field of gold and treasure the likes of which he has never seen nor heard described. The blue light flickers off the polished golden objects and many gems that litter the cavern floor. Looking out into the middle of the golden ocean, Xanthos sees a huge ribcage of some beast, its ribs turned up to appear as a skeletal Venus Fly-Trap. Inside the ribcage a blue light grows in both intensity and size.

“Holy Kador!” Menthos shouts as his knees give out in a near fainting response to the overwhelming smell of gold.

Haimish can only blabber as his appraise skill goes comatose and Oratory ability checks into a rehabilitation facility.

“This very bad place.” Doopa says his more savage nature taking the lead over greed.

“Obviously, we’re in the bowels of an orc city run by goblins. I think the chances of this being a gregarious philanthropist are highly unlikely.” Eeyore replies

“He’s hiding somewhere in here. Warlock, scan the area for magic, the greatest concentration is my destination.” Xanthos commands

Menthos however was way ahead of the shifter, already mapping out a detailed report of location and strength of each magical aura. Xanthos rips the map from the tiefling’s hands.

“I’m not here to finance your paternity suits.” Xanthos spits, looking over the map. Spying a concentration of magic below the blue glowing orb, Xanthos strides across the field of gold towards the center of the ribcage.

Once within a hundred feet from the ribcage, the blue orb pulses quickly and then bursts forth in a shower of sparks that ricochet off the ceiling and walls of the entire cavern, splashing the party in residual electrical energy. A brilliant bluish light fills the cavern and then fades to reveal a vaguely draconic shape easily a hundred feet long.

The dragon’s head is always present as is its spine however its limbs seem to move in and out of the prime plane. The entire creature is built upon a roiling blue energy that constantly creates a lightening show within the dragon’s “body”.

“Great one, I seek an orcish warlord, perhaps his cowardly self hides amongst your vast field of wealth?” Xanthos says approaching the dragon.

The energy makes no sound, however it’s “eyes” have lowered to watch the progress of the shifter across the sea of gold. With no fear Xanthos enters the skeletal ribcage area and proceeds to the spot on Menthos’ map where the magic was most concentrated, directly below the energy dragon. Sifting through the gold beneath the dragon, Xanthos locates a secret door in the floor of the cavern. Excitement swells through his body as he grips the door and tears it off the floor of the cavern. Xanthos spots a body lying below in a short shaft, transforming into a thoqqua the shifter dives in and slams his searing body into the figure below.

Clothing catches fire and desiccated skin flakes off in embers as Xanthos rips apart the dead goblin. Once his anger has subsided, he realizes this was not an orc at all. Spying the four rings lying on the ground where he destroyed the body and surmising that those were the objects Menthos had detected earlier, Xanthos bends down and picks them up and inspects them closely.

The rest of the party only saw the flash of blue light, as the claw moved at nearly the speed of light and shredded Xanthos’ very soul. Xanthos dropped to the ground instantly as energy claws tore their way down his body, leaving a blistering trail and an inner pain that was far more intense than watching his own heart ripped from his chest and crushed before him. No sound escaped his lips, the paralyzing ache wouldn’t allow anything to move and for the next few minutes he could only hear and see nothingness.

The dragon then reached down and plucked Xanthos from the shaft’s floor and flung him into the far wall above the party. The shifter’s body slammed into the wall with a wet slap and fell to the ground next to the party. Haimish and Eeyore rushed to Xanthos side as Menthos and Doopa both gave admiring whistles to the energy dragon.

“The orc is not in this room.” A weak Xanthos states

Healing was applied to the shifter and he was soon able to stand almost pain free.

“Maybe you should take a few coins with you as a memento Menthos?” Xanthos offered

“What do you think I am, stupid? You kill it first and then we can race to see who loots better.” Menthos answers

The party leaves the dragon enigma behind as they head back into the ground level of the tower.

“Well there are a few tracks that go this way.” Eeyore points out.

“That way it is then.” Xanthos states, his body and soul shaken, his resolve however steeled more than ever.

Remove ads