The AD&D 1st Edition bard class ...

Anson Caralya

First Post
I never played a 1E bard but always found the concept intriguing. Just recently I was flipping through my old 1E PHB and gave them a thorough read, and was surprised to realize that they get all of the druid's special abilities -- not sure how I'd missed that all these years. And I wonder if any thought was given to the raft of bonus languages druids get beginning at 3rd level before giving bards their own raft of bonus languages? By my count, a bard picks up 15 languages over 23 levels for his bardic "additional languages known" and another 13 by gaining "...druidic powers as a druid of the same level..." for levels 3 through 16 (although the PHB capped druids at level 14, so you could say no more druidic languages gained after 14th). Anyone ever see any clarification on this point?

Endur

First Post
I remember playing in AD&D1E where the GM had a rule that made Paladin a prestige class. You started out as a fighter and then earned Paladinhood.

I do not remember what rules set he borrowed that idea from.

GeorgeFields

Explorer
Endur said:
I remember playing in AD&D1E where the GM had a rule that made Paladin a prestige class. You started out as a fighter and then earned Paladinhood.

I do not remember what rules set he borrowed that idea from.

It could have been from the D&D Companion set. Depending upon his alignment, a ninth-level fighter could opt to be a paladin, knight, or an avenger.

Another note on hte 1e bard is hit points! After the fighter level hit ponits, and the possible few from thief, they got an additional 10d6 over their career! For 1e, that's a lot of hp!

Remove ads