• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E The Adventurer's Handbook Speculation Thread

Queer Venger

Dungeon Master is my Daddy
With the covers revealed, I figure that this might be a time for us to begin thinking about what Sasquatch will do for the Adventurer's Handbook. From what is known, the book is set to have new Backgrounds, Spells, Skills, Races and Class Options (either new classes or Class Archetypes), most of which are meant for the Elemental Evil story arc that they're going to make, though I hope they see use outside the arc.

So, what do you think they'll add to the handbook? My idea is that they're going to reintroduce the Elemental Races and have races like Air Gnomes, Earth Dwarves, Fire Elves, and Water Halflings.
My vote is on genasi

Zardnaar

Legend
If they based it on the original version, the mechanics may simply be too different for a wizard subclass. Then again, that's a big if; they might now.

Really, it's the only full class I can imagine as a possibility. I think the system they currently have will cover anything else they come up with nicely.

Original was AD&D wizard subclass.

A guidebook for PCs? That sounds like DM material to me, and not something I would expect (or want) to see in a book called "Adventurer's Handbook"
Think of it like a Player's Guide to the adventure, like Paizo does. So when the DM mentions Imix the revelation doesn't fall flat and all the players know about the City of Brass and Elemental Chaos.

ranger69

Explorer
There is a lot of interesting speculation. I think it will be a players guide to the elemental planes, and a primer for the associated adventure similar to the players primers that Paizo do for their AP's. However, as it appears to be a hardback book I think it will possibly have new races, probably new subclasses. Almost certainly new spells.
There may be new familiars etc. There may also be new mundane equipment centered on surviving the Elemental Planes, also possibly for travelling the planes. (Magical equipment in the AP).
Possibly also organizations that can aid or hinder the PC's as the enter the Elemental Planes, and entry requirements for those organizations.

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
I mean, we are presuming that the two are linked. hahaha. For all we know, it could be a totally unrelated Unearthed Arcana [1e] style of supplement: new races, classes, spells, player stuff + magic items & other DM game-running options stuff....having nothing to do with (or not primarily about) Elemental flavor at all.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
I mean, we are presuming that the two are linked. hahaha. For all we know, it could be a totally unrelated Unearthed Arcana [1e] style of supplement: new races, classes, spells, player stuff + magic items & other DM game-running options stuff....having nothing to do with (or not primarily about) Elemental flavor at all.

Well, since the fluff text on the bottom of the posted cover image begins, "Create heroic characters with elemental power...", I think elemental-themed speculation is not inappropriate.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads