The Age of Worms - Morrus' Campaign - Finished 6th August!!

Diplomat123

First Post
Darmanicus said:
I play Morgan the Necromancer, cough, I mean wizard. I seriously don't know where they get the idea that I'm some sort of consorter with undead; that's just wrong! ;)

It's because of your mum dude! Between her furniture and all your talk of animating bodies and draining energy from people...

(I play Niccoli the hero).

Darmanicus

I'm Ray...of Enfeeblement
Diplomat123 said:
It's because of your mum dude! Between her furniture and all your talk of animating bodies and draining energy from people...
(I play Niccoli the hero).

You just had to go and mention me Mom didn't you!!!?

What's yer Will save........hero?

Eccles

Ragged idiot in a trilby.
About the same as your Fort save, Mr save-or-die?

New session.... ur... when I've written it.

Featuring betrayal, undead, near-death crises, undead, arguments, and the undead!

Edit: Oh, and Darmanicus uses up his "I've done a silly thing" token.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Darmanicus said:
You just had to go and mention me Mom didn't you!!!?

Aaargh!!!

Steve, you really have to drop this habit of saying "me" instead of "my". Even Dave's noticed it! :)

And where does "mom" come from? Are you being assimilated by the yanks? :D

Inconsequenti-AL

Breaks Games
Shh Mr Morrus, or we'll bring up gas pedals again. :]

I play Torvig the cleric by the way.

Nice writing there Nik, think you've managed to capture the feel of the thing really neatly :)

I'm really interested to see the next installment - morality 101. :confused:

Darmanicus

I'm Ray...of Enfeeblement
Morrus said:
Steve, you really have to drop this habit of saying "me" instead of "my". Even Dave's noticed it! :)

Good ol' Morrus......DM, English teacher and dad all rolled into one.......jerk! ;) :p

Eccles

Another disclaimer. This series of posts sees more drunken party exploration. And undead. Undead are gruesome. That’s all I’ve got to say on the subject.

After another evening spent drinking, the 10 minute moonlit walk to the observatory was filled with singing and suddenly frantically whispered shushing noises. The building itself was a 3 storey sagging building, the slit for the telescope hanging bare and empty overlooking a flat bluff. Lights flickered in the upper floors of the tower, but the huge ground floor lay dark and imposing.

Whilst Torvig muttered a spell of blessing over some small stones he had picked up on the walk up, Flynn looked up, filled with drunk confidence.
“I don’t want to go in through the front door”, he announced. “I’m going in through the roof. I’ll help you get the door open first, though.”

The double front door lay slightly raised from the ground; covered with mould, and the aging carving of a gibbering face. Before it was a short flight of stairs, under which was a small door leading to some kind of shed. Both doors were locked, and revealed no signs of magic to my inner eye. After a few minutes work, Flynn picked the lock of the toolshed under the stairs. We formed up, and I pulled the door open.

A tiny, bone-white streak hurtled out, hurtling at Niccoli’s throat. The little form, made of jagged bone shards and teeth at odd angles, sawed at his exposed flesh before leaping off him and savaged Flynn. Torvig tried twice to repel the undead with his holy symbol of Fharlanghn, to no effect. Morgan unlimbered his crossbow, drew aim at the thing (which he described as a “tomb mote”, and pulled the trigger which had laid low so many of our enemies in the last few days.

…he missed. Our jaws fell at this utterly unimaginable occurrence. The mote took advantage of our distraction, and bit out at Torvig a couple of times. Frustrated at the small wounds being slashed at the joints of his armour, Torvig smashed the tiny tomb mote with a couple of sweeping blows from his morningstar. Flynn, meanwhile, realised that the bite to his elbow was already angry and inflamed.

The toolshed the vile creature had come from was filled with useless junk. Morgan, prodding the wreckage of bones announced that tomb motes would be immune to clerical attempts to denounce them, as well as possessing a powerful effect rendering them completely safe from crossbows.

Flynn moved up the stairs and managed to fight his way past the locks on the front doors, before swinging them open. Inside, the large room was filled with wrecked furniture and smashed equipment. The far end of the room was fronted by a barricade of tables and overturned wreckage. To our horror, three skeletal figures (two adults and the abhorrence of an undead child) rose from the other side of the barricade, a blood-red glow lit the inside of their skulls and poured out of their eyes.

They raised crossbows towards us and fired, seriously injuring Niccoli in the hail of bolts.

Torvig raised his holy symbol for a third time, and drunkenly slurred a prayer to his god. The skeletons positively exploded, bones collapsing or hurtling off in all directions. We sighed with relief.

Eccles

Having collected the crossbows and examined the strange gelatinous substance on the tips of the arrows, we opened the doors, which led onto a corridor which was practically lined with doors.

“This must be where Sauron lives,” quipped Torvig. “Because there are more doors.”

We all groaned, and then proceeded to ransack the series of bedrooms and small ruined office, before a sixth door led into a dining scene from nightmare. Fresh food and wine sat upon a long dining table, whilst 7 corpses sat around the table, leaving only the seat at the head of the table free. As Flynn snuck into the room to see if there was anything interesting in there, the bodies twitched, but didn’t launch themselves at his throat.

Torvig raised his holy symbol once more, and abruptly, one of the decaying forms raised its head directly towards him, stared him in the eye, and formed words with its rotting tongue.

“Once again, m’lord has provided a delicious meal. It is an honour to dine in your presence.”

A horrendous dinner conversation then struck up, as the corpses began to eat clumsily, forks clattering from nerveless fingers; food tumbling out from the sides of fleshless mouths, whilst rice and maggots mixed in a disgusting sloppy mess on the floor beneath the diners.

“I should never have doubted you, Filge,” said one long-dead female form. “I will love you now and forever.”

“You’re a wonderful person, Filge,” chimed in Torvig, sarcastically; and the corpses hastened to agree with him as sycophantically as possible.

We picked our way around the still-moving corpses, collected a few pieces of silverware, and then crept up the stairs to the next floor, leaving this foul ‘ego-room’ behind us.

Eccles

The entire floor above was converted into a massive bedchamber, with further stairs leading up on the far wall. The huge bed, larger and softer-looking than anything any of us had seen before, lay on a raised dais. The room was presided over by a life-sized stone statue of a man, lute and rapier held aloft, with bold writing on the pedestal which read ‘Filge’.

On the other side of the bed was a pedestal, with a beige-leather-bound book resting upon it. Just beyond it was a mummified dead Halfling, which held a tray in one hand. Upon the tray was a rotting woman’s head, a single platinum piece resting atop her protruding, swollen tongue.

From behind me on the stairs came a squeal of excitement from Morgan, who began by running to a paper-covered desk, and cramming every scrap of paper he could find into a loose scroll tube. He paused in this action only to show us 4 vials of liquids, one of which appeared to have a green leech swimming in it, and was labelled “Necroturgans”. He also read a letter to us, signed ‘S’, which spoke of a cult having set up in one of the mines, and then implored Filge to come to Diamond Lake to study ‘green worms’ and ‘unkillable zombies’.

Whilst the rest of us were glancing at one another in concern over what we were getting ourselves into, Morgan continued his frenzied looting. He dashed across the room, snatching up the platinum piece in passing before turning his attention to the book on the pedestal.

Big mistake.

Remove ads