• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The aggravating five foot move.

Macbrea

First Post
Its a risk you take by readying an action.

Personally, if I was going to take this readied action I would do.

"If my oponent takes a 5ft step I will step and trip him."

This means that your opponent has take a 5ft step and if your lucky spends the rest of his round getting back up.

Negative Zero

First Post
Oracular Vision said:
The DMG actually says that rounds are an abstraction, that combat should be considered as simultaneous, ... No way in real combat will you ever be using a bow right next to me, taking a simple step to get out of my reach ...you will get creamed...but I guess some people think that all the rules are correct and work great, and they haven't put much thought into it on their own...sigh...Negative Zero and Xarlen, maybe you guys and KReynolds can get together and form a mutual lack-of-wit club, or at least argue about nothing together...

heh heh
allow one witless Zero to point out, that DnD combat is a ... get ready for it ...
turn based(!!!)
system. entirely UNlike real life. :) or maybe you missed that this was a GAME. c'mon now hon, don't go gettin your panties in a bunch. just keep saying over and over: "it is a game. it is a game. it is a game." you'll be just fine with a few decades of counselling and heavy medication. better living through chemistry! :p

~NegZ

Uller

Adventurer
Oracular Vision said:
No way in real combat will you ever be using a bow right next to me, taking a simple step to get out of my reach ...you will get creamed...

Of course, I'm not an 11th level elf Fighter/Ranger who can fire 30 shots from a bow in a minute and easily hit a human sized target from 200 yards with almost every shot! Note to OV: The combat mechanic is meant to be fun. Not realistic. Realistic combat is not fun. It is fun to imagine an archer slowly backing away firing madely as an axe wielding barbarian bears down on him. Of course, the barbarian would just trip the archer or sunder his bow. Problem solved.

The Sigil

Mr. 3000 (Words per post)
Depends...

Macbrea said:
Its a risk you take by readying an action.

Personally, if I was going to take this readied action I would do.

"If my oponent takes a 5ft step I will step and trip him."

This means that your opponent has take a 5ft step and if your lucky spends the rest of his round getting back up.
I would be careful with that one - some DMs may tell you that "step and trip him" is two actions - a "step" and a "trip" and therefore you can't ready a "step and trip."

That's why I ready a move... no matter what the DM rules in the above situation, I can ready a 5' step alone... if he moves I move with him and I still get an AoO on him when he shoots/casts/whatever and with the AoO I can make a trip attempt if I really want to. If I choose to "trip" when he steps away and I miss, then I have to move and attack next round which means I may have trouble doing a full attack on him.

--The Sigil

IceBear

Explorer
You can take a 5ft step with a partial action. Thus, if the fighter said "I'll trip him if he attacks" and the archer steps back and attacks, I'd allow the fighter to step up 5ft and attack without explicitedly forcing him to say he will move. Now, when I say 5-ft step I should really say 5-ft move incase someone brings up an example where the fighter moved already.

IceBear

Wolfen Priest

First Post
Re: Solution...

The Sigil said:

This now becomes step back, watch me step forward, shoot bow, draw attack of opportunity. Simple. :)

During my next round what do I do (remember I'm hasted)? Full attack, then ready my 5' step into your square. :D

I could be wrong here, but wouldn't the archer still get his full attack action on you, despite the AoO you get on him?

IceBear

Explorer
Sure he would, that's why just swinging your sword may not be the best tactical choice. Other choices are : trip, grapple, or sunder the bow. This is no longer 2E where your choice was roll d20 and see if you hit - you have combat options and choices now.

IceBear

Garmorn

Explorer
Following a five foot step

Another option is to create a feat like the one Dragonstar has. It alows you to follow one oppent who makes a five foot step out of your threaten zone. Don't have the book to give furhter information.

noretoc

First Post
I stand corrected on the ready an action as a partial action. :) Looking at it that way, Make more things possible, and I love options.

Remove ads