The Algernon Files

Psion

Adventurer
I am afraid I have to agree that it goes over the line in political commentary.

True it may be something that makes it less useful for you. But using the term "flag waving" and referring to nausea is a touch inflamatory. You could have got the same point across without the entrained judgement by saying that it "Plays off of images of American patriotism that some citizens of other countries my find unappealing or non useful." Perfectly true, but less inciteful.

PJ Mason

First Post
Teflon Billy - Firstly, not mad at all. I see anti-american stuff everyday. Big whoop. This instance wasn't even original! :)

He spent more time on american partiotism, the superlink, and other things that where apparently on his mind that had nothing to do with the book, than the actual book he is supposedly reviewing. That seems really odd to me. Maybe not to you.

I like reviews to focus on the actual book and the quality of it. I could really care less about his/her opinions on the gaming industry, role playing tendencies, or whether or not american-based characters make him vomit.

It seemed like he either had some strange beef with the product itself that he couldn't express, or was just pissed off when he wrote the review. Just weird.

I've read many of GameWyrd's reviews and have never seen such a lack of focus.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
OK, folks! Let's try and keep politics out of this, shall we?

I can see both points of view. The comments in question amount to only one paragraph of the review, and they have been commented on adequately. We'll not turn EN World into a venue for political discussion; the original comment was made, it has been pointed out and responded to. There's no need to go any further with it.

Feel free to discuss any other aspects of the review as usual, however.

DSumner

Explorer
Preview Art for Vol. 1

423ef2efb28b9185df7bd20349985b46_large.png

Preview Art for Vol. 2

fa03648fbebc5047f51f5cba913b312e_large.png

And a couple of preview PDFs

Apparition - http://www.blackwyrm.com/ks/Apparition.pdf

Blackbone - http://www.blackwyrm.com/ks/Blackbone.pdf

DSumner

Explorer
And here's the latest from Aaron Sullivan, the author of the series.

If everything goes to plan (fingers crossed) we'll be able to put out everything I've outlined on my many precious spreadsheets and filled notebooks detailing... these are 2 of 30 volumes comprising 300 entries and 642 characters. And that's not even counting the supplements outside the series proper, like TAF: JUVENILE INJUSTICE, which details The Winters Academy, its faculty and most of its student body, as well the villain team formed by several of its recent graduates, The Seven Sins. Adding in the supplements, that's north of another 180 entries, and somewhere around another 250 characters.

Just doing the math, the characters who are new edition versions of ones we had 1st/2nd edition write-ups for barely makes it into the 10-15% mark.

Of course, all that depends on Blackwyrm getting the money to start and continue the series. :)

DSumner

Explorer
Just out of curiosity, how many of you have checked out the Kickstarter? And those you who have, what do you think of it, and the Algernon Files in general?

Remove ads