• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Ancient Paths (OOC)

hippocrachus

First Post
~ Current Party Status ~

Morning Day XVIII

Dowkan - 25/36 HP
Nae'talis - 16/16 HP
Rygus - 26/26 HP
Sabriel - 12/12 HP

~ Loot List ~

Unidentified
- Black dragon-carved longsword (faint Transmutation & Necromancy aura) [Sabriel]
- Deo’s engagement ring (faint Conjuration aura) [Dowkan]

Items
- Ring set with gray onyx (Protection +1) [Dowkan]
- Large wooden shield (+1) [Dowkan]
- (30) Outer God Holy Symbols
- A set of bracers (Armor +1) [Nae’talis]
- A Pearl of Power (1st Level) [Nae’talis]
- Rune-inlaid buckler

Scrolls
- Hold Portal [Nae’talis]
- Arcane Lock [Nae’talis]
- Darkness [Nae’talis]

Potions
- Cure Light Wounds [Dowkan]

Wands
- A straight bone white wand (Cure Light Wounds 46 charges) (Repose) [Sabriel]
- A gnarled orange wand (Magic Missile 32 charges 1st) (Gluhchux) [Nae’talis]

Gems
- Large diamond [Nae'talis]
- (6) Gem coins [Rygus]

Moneys
Platinum - 7
Gold - 984
Silver - 920
Copper - 1047

Sabriel heals herself for 7 HP using the wand.
Just to clarify: the longsword and ring the party had already found showed up magical to Nae'talis. No new items have magical properties.
Let me know who's carrying the buckler, engagement ring, and longsword (Sabriel?).

Last edited:

Legildur

First Post
hippocrachus said:
Unidentified
- Black dragon-carved longsword (magical)
- Deo’s engagement ring (magical)
What type of magic do these items radiate? (assuming Nae'talis passed his spellcraft check, of course).

kirinke

First Post
Lol. Well, Sabriel isn't going to touch either until they're properly identified. Hmmm Does her bardic knowledge tell them anything interesting on the magical goodies and on the rune/bejeweled buckler?

I know I'm being awfully paranoid, but it wouldn't hurt to cast detect evil on our things, just to be on the safe side. Cuz, like I said before, the two aren't mutually inclusive.

Verbatim

Explorer
I don't think you can use the bardic thing on the buckler, at least not hoping to get more than phantom memories at best of its owner, depending on if Hipp wants the bardic knowledge to be a quasi-empathy thing as I have seen it done before. With the other magical items, I think you might stand a better chance of it working in the "classical" sense, but still think emp route may work better with minor enchanted items.

hippocrachus

First Post
Upon investigating the rune inscriptions on the buckler, Sabriel can tell they are most definitely strong Dwarven words. Judging by the quality of the shield, she surmises that the piece was most likely an heirloom handed down through many generations; it's much older than her reckoning anyway.
Things like: Strength, Diligence, Honor, et cetera can be read by anyone that speaks Dwarven.
I'm going to ask that you make an IC post if you want Sabriel to examine the ring or sword; I can't explain why she would be looking at them now...

It might be awhile before you guys come across someone to cast Detect Evil :]

Edit: I might be using Bardic Knowledge wrong, but I think of it as a sort of Lore skill. She can use it on anything, but the "reading" varies greatly depending on how much history it actually has and how good her check is.

Legildur

First Post
hippocrachus said:
The sword radiates a faint aura of Necromancy and Transmutation and the ring radiates a faint aura of Conjuration. Don't get your hopes up ;)
I shan't. But I'm from the school where it is preferable to be using the items rather than leaving them idle. Besides, you never know when they could come in handy, even if inadvertently.

Verbatim

Explorer
I agree with Leg here. In the old Gold box games we did the "Equip/Unequip" test. If we could remove it, then we pressed on until we could get it ID'd. If we couldn't we restored the last save and dropped the item as quickly as possible..:)

As I know we can't do the latter, I saw we use it and deal with any negative side effects IC as they happen. Just my two coppers on that...

On the BK, using it as Lore works just as well, but sometimes, IMO, there just isn't any way a bard would have heard about "x" item and the best way we found to explain it was just the bard read the aura of the item itself, much like a detect magic, but with the strength of the read reflected in the +/- outcome of the roll.

In your game though, I will back your play on how you want it to work.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads