the Awakened Animal thread

Conaill

First Post
Will said:
But one standing question... how much of a LA is an animal HD worth? I maintain that a 2 HD animal ~= 1 class level + 1 LA.
Check Savage Species, which is supposed to be THE authority on Level Adjustments! HD are supposed to count *fully* towards ECL, and then you possibly add a LA on top of that for extra abilities.

If I understood you correctly, you're claiming that an (awakened) animal's ECL should be HD/2? Or do you mean LA = HD/2, so ECL = HD * 1.5?

Will

First Post
I'm claiming: ECL = HD/2

And that animals typically have advantages equal to HD/2 as LA, so an awakened animal has ECL = HD.

Consider the question... if a human were to take a level of 'animal,' how much would that be worth? IMO, an animal HD is worth less than a level of warrior, and is about 1/2 the 'value' of a standard PC class level.

You might think I'm off with my assessment of animal ability, but what do you think of this level issue?

I have Savage Species, and, well, I am not sure how much I'd follow it. Among other things, it predates 3.5 MM, which clarified a number of issues.

I also don't like the 'race levels' as SS did it, but that's a separate topic.

Last edited:

Leopold

NKL4LYFE
Conaill said:
Check Savage Species, which is supposed to be THE authority on Level Adjustments! HD are supposed to count *fully* towards ECL, and then you possibly add a LA on top of that for extra abilities.

If I understood you correctly, you're claiming that an (awakened) animal's ECL should be HD/2? Or do you mean LA = HD/2, so ECL = HD * 1.5?

I use a mishmash of SS and Soladrin's ECL generator. It works out rather well.

http://personal.nbnet.nb.ca/shadows/Handbook/ECLcalc.html

Now in answer to your question as to a cleric. SS says that if it's a d12 barbarian ,d10 use a fighter, if it's a d8 use a cleric, d6 rogue d4 wizard, etc.

I find that if I use a cleric who has combat abilities that are normally associated with some monsters and casting abilities that some may have that it's more well rounded a PC than a monk. Also it's one of the 'core' clases that I would use as I would consider fighter, cleric, rogue, wizard all 'core' outside of the whole sphere of all 8 or so classes that comprise the d20 SRD core classes. It works rather well for use and comparisson standards.

The way one of the guys in my game came up with LA was CR/2 and add it to HD. It worked out ok but it is FAR from accurate.

I don't goto the WOTC boards. Don't like that place. So I don't go there.

Now to get onto your monster:

Soladarin comes up with a 4.7 which says you are supposed to round down, but I would round up to 5. So it says an ECL of 5 an LA of 1

Savage species mode (I am a bit rusty):

HD:4
Extra Movement:1
Scent:1
Unbalanced stats: 1

With Natural Armor, 1 Bonus Feat, and 4 skill points it doesn't require a point in addition to what is above.

So we got a total ECL of 7

Now we figure that this is a woodsy animal and that it would do well as a ranger so we make it a Awakened wolf/Ranger 1 vs. a Cleric/8 now pit them together in combat.

Awakened wolf has 5d8 (20) hp's, +5 to attack, only 1 attack, and an AC of 12. This is all base with no equipment and just going on avg no bonus',

It can't use weapons as it has no hands, it's saves would be avg as a clerics, it would gain 3 feats to use as it may choose as well as it's 1st level ranger stuff, favored enemy, wild empathy and track but it gets track automatically as a bonus feat anyay. A 1st level ranger gets no spells so we don't have to worry about that, but if it did it would need the feats Eschew materials and Natural Spell to use them.

Now an 8th level human cleric has 8d8 hp's (32), +6/1 to attack with 2 attacks, an AC of 18 (gave it halfplate). He will probably have a magical weapon to use but we won't count that right now.

He can use upto 4th level spells that include cure serious wounds which is a huge benefit in a fight. He gets 4 feats (3 normal 1 for being human) , saves are pretty good to use +6/2/6 and he gets to turn/rebuke undead which is good if your going against undead or you can use feats to use them for something else.

Right off the bat I would choose the cleric hands down over the wolf as he gets spells, can wear armor and weild weapons, and can turn/rebuke undead. In combat he would crush the wolf in 3 rounds or so as all he would have to do is hit 2 or 3 times, step back 5' and heal, and move in. A straight up slugfest has the cleric.

So what about if we drop the ECL down to 6. Cleric has 7d8 hit points, still gets big spells and is down to one attack, still gets 4 feats and saves are about the same. Points still on the cleric for winning the day as he can follow the same attack pattern and win.

Let's take it down to a +1 LA. Now it gets tricky. Cleric loses some of it's higher spells, it's BAB is worse, it's HP are roughly the same by about 1, it can still wear armor and use weapons but the wolf is still onpar with the cleric for abilities for the level. The cleric gets 4 feats still but unless they are pure combat it could go either way in combat. If the cleric follows the same attack pattern it can win, but the wolf could win if it hit every round and the cleric missed.

So in retrospect an LA of +1 is fair as if we go lower with no LA then I would pick a wolf/ranger anyday but if we go higher a cleric will hand it's own azz to it in a standup fight.

Does this explain my methodolgy in use for LA determination? I am using Soladarin's as a good guestimate and then using savage species to determine another on the high end and mediating somewhere in the middle if applicable.

Questions, comments, concerns? I'm outta here for the day!

Conaill

First Post
Looks good, Leopold. That's pretty much what we concluded in the thread on wizards.com as well. Thanks for going over it in detail!

Since I just got the chance to check Savage Species again, let me clear up some details on how it recommends running the "acid test". Not criticizing anyone, this is partially to get things clear in my own head as well, since I haven't done all that much of this stuff:

- In one of the other threads, I expressed some puzzlement that SS wanted us to acid test LA's using a one-on-one "duel", even though ECL is supposed to include all those factors that play a role during the whole lifetime of a PC, *not* just a single encounter.

Well... Savage Species doesn't actually say to run the acid test as a one-on-one duel between the two comparison characters. It says "Then ask yourself: Would you rather play a monster character at that ECL, or a standard character of that level?"

Just a misconception I had, and which I wanted to clarify just in case anyone else thought the same... ;)

- On what class to use for the acid test... Savage Species says "To do so, look at the highest ability scores. Assign it one level of the class that benefits most from those scores." For animals, I guess that would typically mean using a Rogue (Dex), Cleric or Druid (Wis) for the smaller ones, and Fighter or Barbarian (Str or Con) for the larger ones. (Guess you could argue for Monk or Paladin as well by this reasoning, because many larger animals have very good stats across the line.)

- Savage Species never explicitly says that you should compare the critter with one character class with a regular character of the same class. But all their examples definitely do, and the language used in the examples implies so. Of course, it also tends to simplify the comparison...

So Leopold, feel like tackling one of the trickier cases?

Last edited:

Conaill

First Post
Hey Leopold: since you have quite a bit of experience doing these LA's... have you found any specific areaswhere Soldarin's calculator seems to understimate 3.5 LA's? I often seem to get values which are too low, but I can't quite figure out what the culprit is.

I've tried to persuade various people to update the calculator to fit the updated monster abilities and LA's, but so far no luck...

Leopold

NKL4LYFE
Conaill said:
Hey Leopold: since you have quite a bit of experience doing these LA's... have you found any specific areaswhere Soldarin's calculator seems to understimate 3.5 LA's? I often seem to get values which are too low, but I can't quite figure out what the culprit is.

I've tried to persuade various people to update the calculator to fit the updated monster abilities and LA's, but so far no luck...

I have found that that calculator tends to lowball the ECL things so I use it as a reference point. SS tends to blow the ECL skyhigh on things so it gives you a good end point. Balance wise the calc is the better of the 2 devices. I have found that if you plug in the numbers it comes out rather close to a good ECL. I round up for numbers .6 and higher and this tends to make the ECL higher, and that is fine with me, rather have it too high than too low.

I don't now howto update the calc I am afraid. I use it as is.

I'll take a trickier animal for $500 alex!

Last edited:

Conaill

First Post
Leopold said:
I'll take a trickier animal for $500 alex!
Ok, while we hash out the awakened tiger in this other thread, maybe you can tackle it's smaller cousin here. The tricky parts are the extremely low Str and Tiny size (which means 0 Reach: can't attack without getting an AoO!) Not exactly the trickiest, but it's representative of a number of the smaller animals, so it's a good warmup for those. Best stats are Dex and Wis, so I'm guessing this should probably be a Rogue, or possibly Clr or Drd comparison:

AWAKENED CAT

Tiny Awakened Magical Beast (Augmented Animal)
Hit Dice: 2d8 (9 hp)
Initiative: +2
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares)
Armor Class: 14 (+2 size, +2 Dex), touch 14, flat-footed 12
Base Attack/Grapple: +1/–11
Attack: Claw +5 melee (1d2–4)
Full Attack: 2 claws +5 melee (1d2–4) and bite +0 melee (1d3–4)
Space/Reach: 2-1/2 ft./0 ft.
Special Attacks: —
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60', low-light vision, scent
Saves: Fort +3, Ref +5, Will +1
Abilities: Str 3, Dex 15, Con 10, Int 10, Wis 12, Cha 9
Skills: Balance +10, Climb +7, Hide +14*, Jump +10, Listen +4, Move Silently +7, Spot +4
Feats: Weapon Finesse
Environment: Temperate plains
Organization: Domesticated or solitary
Challenge Rating: 1
Advancement: By character class
Level Adjustment: ?

Skills: Awakened cats have a +4 racial bonus on Climb, Hide, and Move Silently checks and a +8 racial bonus on Jump checks. Awakened cats have a +8 racial bonus on Balance checks. They use their Dexterity modifier instead of their Strength modifier for Climb and Jump checks. *In areas of tall grass or heavy undergrowth, the Hide bonus rises to +8.

Awakened cat characters get the following stat adjustments: -8 (!) Str, +4 Dex, +2 Wis, -2 Cha.

Last edited:

Conaill

First Post
Ouch... a Rogue comparison is going to hurt! Sure, the awakened cat gets some nice skill bonuses (28 points worth), but they miss out on the (8+Int mod)x4 at 1st level!

Makes for an interesting challenge though... If you had to play an awakened cat, what kind of character class would go go for?

Leopold

NKL4LYFE
Conaill said:
Ouch... a Rogue comparison is going to hurt! Sure, the awakened cat gets some nice skill bonuses (28 points worth), but they miss out on the (8+Int mod)x4 at 1st level!

Makes for an interesting challenge though... If you had to play an awakened cat, what kind of character class would go go for?

I would probably not even give this one an LA at all. Just make it an ECL of 2 and be done with it. As if you do any sort of acid test with it, it will fail completely with comparison to a cleric as it has d8 HD and a good wisdom score. Irregardless if it gets bonus skill points, 28 is nice but it doesn't make up for the fact that it still painfully gets beaten down by a 2nd level cleric.

If I had to play one of these classes I would be either a:
Swashbuckler-Puss n. boots
Rogue-sneak sneak sneak find run away!
Druid-The world is my litter box!

I would chock this one up to a 0 LA and a 2 ECL due to the HD and then move on.

Last edited:

Remove ads