• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Banewarrens: Allies and Enemies

GruTheWanderer

First Post
The guard takes a brief look at Folo and Bono's papers, then hands them back. He leads them towards the house.

The gate is on the southwest side of the Vladaam compound. The guard points out the stables and kennel to the north, and mentions the outbuilding behind the main house ("Off limits to servants. The lady's agents stay there, and they don't like company.")

Half way to the house, a pack of eight large dogs coming tearing across the yard. They gather around the guard and the two halflings, barking and growling. Another man in Vladaam livery wearing bracers and carrying several javelins comes trailing behind the pack.

The first guard yells at the second, "Call off your damn mutts, Stegoar. These two are potential servants. I'm taking them up to the house."

The other guard chuckles, "Potential dog food, more like. I don't see the point in hiring halflings, but the lady has her tastes." He shouts at the dogs, which grow quiet instantly and run off in another direction.

----------------------------------------

Nicalon leads the others out of the Griffon and through the city towards the Nobles' Quarter. You pass the fortress of Dalenguard, strangely out of place in the middle of the city. Once inside the upper-class district, Nicalon leads you through back streets to the south side of the Vladaam estate, near the cliffs along its southeast border.

The wall here is 12 feet high.

"Once we climb the wall, the nearby patches of trees should give us cover. We'll make for the south end of the house and use a window to enter the library. The secret door is there. We may be able to incapacitate single guards before they raise an alarm, but I'd recommend running if an alarm is sounded. Aliaster Vladaam, the house wizard, is a dangerous foe."

Nicalon will discourage those with a negative modifier to their Hide or Move Silenty checks from entering the estate, but he does not insist. He encourages those who wish to stay to wait here near the south wall.

Uriel

Living EN World Judge
Bono looks properly frightened of the Dogs, while inside Verakka wonders how the Kennel-Keeper would feel if brought back to Verakka's homeland, set loose in the Marshes with a pack of Raptors at his heels...perhaps the lizardman would arrange that for this man who likened Halflings to 'Game'.
Bono follows Folo's lead, keeping his eyes low and restraining Sletha's desire to bite the dogs with a gentle pat on her tiny black head, deep within his satchel.

Last edited:

Argent Silvermage

First Post
"Gracious me! What uncooth dogs. When I train them they never attack without being told to." Folo says. "So the lady of the house has a fancy for my people? Are many of her servents Halflings?"

Keia

I aim to misbehave
Titus will stay outside of the south wall and await the others. He will offer to cat's grace one of those heading in as well as provide a bull's strength to another.

"I will wait here. Yell out if you are being chased as you near the wall and I will look to cover you from attackers with darkness," Titus said.

Hammerhead

Explorer
Malikar shrugs nonchalantly. I can hide and sneak pretty well, I guess. Not really used to disguising myself from my enemies. Malikar's voice becomes harsh and scornful as he completes his sentence.

Just remember, we are heroes searching for a dangerous artifact that has fallen into the evil hands of a corrupt nobility house that is against anything true nobility stands for. Let us not stoop to the level of the enemy and sully our hand with thievery or murder. Malikar smiles; his speech, at least, convinced himself.

GruTheWanderer

First Post
"There are a few halfling servants, but the lady has 'private' contact with others, if you know what I mean," the man whispers as Folo and Bono draw near the house.

He leads you through wooden double doors into the grand entry hall. The elaborate, gothic room features elegant family portraits and carved wood accents. The Vladaam crest (a mounted warrior leaping through a ring of fire) is done as a huge floor mosaic. Two guards are stationed to the sides of the doors. A 10 foot wide staircase on the east wall leads up to the second floor."

"Kitchen, pantry, dining room, sauna, sitting room, and library on this floor. Guest bedchambers on the second floor. Ballroom, trophy room, and family bedchambers on the third floor," the guard recites. "Follow me to the kitchen."

Folo quietly releases Bilbo as the threesome walk towards the north end of the house.

GruTheWanderer

First Post
Vladaam Estate

Attachments

• estate.gif
    estate.gif
    72.6 KB · Views: 192

Uriel

Living EN World Judge
Bono lets Sletha 'accidently' drop into some bushes just outside of whatever building the halflings are entering/going to, so that she can keep an eye out

Remove ads