• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The best D&D books (Regardless of Edition)

Darkwolf71

First Post
If we're counting D&D-like OGL, I'll add in Arcana Evolved. Great setting, and mechanics that tied in with the flavor. It gets severe balance issues with casters/non-casters past about 11th level or so, but that does little to dampen my love for it.

-O

Worthy of discussion; Forked.

Remathilis

Legend
World Builder's Guidebook

Planeswalker's Handbook (most of that was too good to exist in just PS)

Van Richten's Guides (Esp Vampires and lycanthropes)

DMG 2 (which previewed a lot of the excellent advice the 4e DMG would have)

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
1E DMG (I sense a pattern here...)

I think the Wilderlands Box Set from Necromancer Games could easily be used in any edition and is one of the best things to read for inspiration, or just pick up and play with.

The 1E and 3E Manuals of the Planes are awesome, as is the 2E Planescape box set.

avin

First Post
1E - monster manual \o/ (never read DMG)
2E - monster manual \o/
3E - monster manual \o/
4E - meh... for reading? maybe DMG...

Psion

Adventurer
World Builder's Guidebook, maybe?

The 1e Manual of the Planes

World Builder's Guidebook

Planeswalker's Handbook (most of that was too good to exist in just PS)

AllisterH said:
DRAGON CD-rom - There's a reason why this goes for so much on ebay...

All outstanding choices, heartily seconded.

Van Richten's Guides (Esp Vampires and lycanthropes)

Don't have lycanthropes but Vampires is good and I would add the excellent Van Richten's Guide to Liches and Van Richten's Guide to Mummies.

The 1E and 3E Manuals of the Planes are awesome, as is the 2E Planescape box set.

More excellent choices, more things I use to this day.

Let me add to the above:
DM's Design Kit by Aaron Allston. A great little 1e supplement that helped me move beyond dungeon crawl stage into epic fantasy tale stage. I still find it useful to get my though process moving.

As long as we are pulling in third party books, I'll say the Citybook series by Flying Buffalo.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
For me, one of the best ones is the 3e manual of the planes - because it is so evocative. So many great descriptive images, and I'd imagine that the vast majority of it would remain useful for any system you wished.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads