• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The best D&D books (Regardless of Edition)

Irda Ranger

First Post
If you're playing Classic D&D all you really need is the Rules Cyclopedia. In 3E and 4E all you really need are the Core 3. But what books do you think are the best books to have and refer to regardless of the edition you're playing?

I'll start with two suggestions: The AD&D 1E Dungeon Master's Guide (for the advice & tables, useful in any edition) and the Tome of Horrors by Necromancer Games (read Kamikaze Midget's thoughts on that book here). It sounds super-inspiring.

What else?

Aus_Snow

First Post
World Builder's Guidebook, maybe?

And hey, since the OP started it all off with a 3rd party supplement, I'll follow suit: From Stone to Steel.

Last edited:

malraux

First Post
I haven't read a bunch of the pre-3e stuff, but Heroes of Horror is one of my favorite 3e books. Its not broadly useful, but does cover its domain rather well.

Shemeska

Adventurer
Faces of Evil: The Fiends - hands down the best monster ecology book written to date

Thing is, otherwise a lot of my listing of best books tend to be rather setting exclusive for PS / Ravenloft / Dark Sun / FR etc

AllisterH

First Post
System Neutral D&D product

• World Builder's Guidebook. Came duringt he tail end of 2E and to this day, there's still nothing that comes close in terms of "build your own world".
  • Encyclopedia Magica - Sure, not as usable in 3e or 4e as before, but changing the stats aren't hard, and the content simply can't be beat.
  • DRAGON CD-rom - There's a reason why this goes for so much on ebay...

Darkwolf71

First Post
Another vote for 1e DMG.

Wilderlands of High Fantasy.

Gary Gygax's The Canting Crew.

Gary Gygax's Extraordinary Book of names...

Ah, heck. The entire Gygaxian Fantasy World's series.

Last edited:

Remove ads