• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The best of d20

My friends and I are going to play a one-shot Iron Heroes game this week and it occurs to me that it's been about a year since the last time we played d20 seriously as a group.

That got me thinking and thumbing through some of my old favorites: Grim Tales, True20, Thieves world, and I was wondering what other people thought were some of the best rules tweaks to come out of the d20 system.

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
There were so many great things that came out of the d20/OGL era, that the more I think about it, the more depressed I get about the limitations and prohibitions of the new GSL. :(

edemaitre

Explorer
D20 favorites

I'll second the Mutants & Masterminds nomination. I'm also fond of the many nonfantasy D20 books, from Hamunaptra to OGL Steampunk to Traveller D20.

Since you mention Thieves' World, I also liked Conan (more for flavor than rules, but at least it was generally compatible), Spycraft, and the many fan-written updates and conversions of other game settings.

Sure, I'm looking forward to D&D4e and somewhat apprehensive of whether third-party publishers will adopt the GSL, but we've had an embarrassment of riches in the past eight or so years. There's enough material (albeit much is out of print) to last most groups for years!

SSquirrel

Explorer
Arcana Evolved/Ptolus. I have my wife convinced to run this b/ she's fed up w/us not getting to game. Luckily she read all my books already ;)

Psion

Adventurer
Master of the Game said:
That got me thinking and thumbing through some of my old favorites: Grim Tales, True20, Thieves world, and I was wondering what other people thought were some of the best rules tweaks to come out of the d20 system.

Spycraft 2.0. Simple NPCs, robust skill treatment, dramatic conflict rules for great non-combat conflicts, and a rich palette of character options make it a winner for modern action & espionage games.

Remove ads