• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Best of the Best: Story Hours

drscott46

First Post
Okay, so I'm still fairly new here at EN World. I've managed to find some great threads on classic adventures and campaign settings, among other things. So there's one very large section of the site I'll never have time to really scour:

...the Story Hours.

I'm interested in a sampling of the absolute best Story Hours on the site. The best of the best. The most epic. The most eloquent. The most absurd. Whatever. Since I respect the opinions of the people here, I'm willing to take your word for it. I know there's like five years of these archived here, and I want to know which are the best reads.

So howzabout some links? I look forward to your opinions, and thanks.

Lazybones

Adventurer
I think you'll find a broad consensus that the best SH on the boards is Sepulchrave's Wyre series. The tales are found in a variety of threads, but you can find a compiled version at http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=58227.

I'm sure others will give you a more comprehensive list; there are some really great ones here that IMO are superior to most of the D&D fiction published by WotC.

Darth Shoju

First Post
I'll second the vote for the Chronicles of Wyre. It is not just a good story hour, but it is very good fantasy fiction period. Well worth the read. It's the only one I've read but I hear Piratecat's SH is quite good too.

Rhun

First Post
Here is a definite vote for Lazybones' Doomed Bastards story hour. The link is in his sig above. If you want bad news at every corner, hopelessness and death, that's the story for you. I love it.

Rackhir

Explorer
Do a sort on "Number of views" descending and set the time limit for like 1 year or more since a number of the best SH haven't been updated in some time.

I'll join the chorus for Sepulchrave's Story hour. The scene where Nwm single handedly destroys an army is classic and there's a number of suprisingly touching and moving moments.

Wulf Ratbane's is a classic read as well. He has a sense of humor and drama that a lot of pro's could learn from. Of course having a foil like the "peck" or the "paladin with his special mount (who usually takes the form of a small boy)" helps.

(contact)'s "The Liberation of Tenh" was always a favorite of mine. There's a number of classic scenes in there and his sensibility was always near and dear to my heart. There's also a prequel story hour that should have links in there some where "The Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil", which is a classic meatgrinder of a campaign.

Not gonna recommend Piratecat's story hour, nope. If he wants the next million views, he's gonna have to start posting updates dammit.

Remove ads