The Best Show You're Not Watching Right Now (Severance)

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Every now and then, I like to recommend something for people to watch or otherwise amuse themselves with. I mean ....

Anyway, I wanted to take a moment to let people talk about Severance. That's right, Severance. It's on AppleTV+, and the season finale is this Friday ... which means that if you want to catch up before the finale, well, you better get to watching.

The thing is - it's kind of hard to "sell" the show, because it's really hard to explain. I now have one episode left, and while I can tell you that I am looking forward to the next episode with the unbridled enthusiasm of an 8 year old on Christmas morning, I still would be hard-pressed to tell you what, exactly, the show is about.

So instead, I'll tell you that the premise of the show is pretty simple- there is a process, called severance (bet you didn't see that coming!) that allows you to live completely separate work and home lives. That's right- the "you" at work and the "you" at home are the same person, but without any shared knowledge of the other.

It has a murderer's row of acting talent; Adam Scott, John Turturro, Christopher Walken, Patricia Arquette, and Britt Lower are in the cast. Of course, I think that Tramell Tillman does the most amazing job ...

Most importantly, it is the most profoundly weird and surreal show on television right now. It's not action-packed, it's not a thriller (per se, although there are tense parts), and it's not funny (although, again, it can be really funny). But it's something quite unlike anything else currently airing- a bizarre amalgamation of Brazil, The Office, and Legion, but if it was told to you by Peter Weller's RoboCop.

But in saying that, the show is also deeply moving, intersecting with emotional issues and grief as well. Overall, it balances on a fine line between absurdist comedy and existential horror, while still providing the grounding of real pathos and emotion. I'd give it a shot!

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
I think I get an employee 6 month trial with Apple from my company. This is the first thing that's got me thinking of trying it out.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I think I get an employee 6 month trial with Apple from my company. This is the first thing that's got me thinking of trying it out.
There's some great stuff on Apple TV+. It doesn't have the sheer quantity that Netflix has, but the quality is generally way higher. I'd personally recommend Ted Lasso, The Afterparty, Severance, and Mythic Quest, but there's a lot more there. If it's a free 6-month trial, I strongly encourage you to use it!

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
There's some great stuff on Apple TV+. It doesn't have the sheer quantity that Netflix has, but the quality is generally way higher. I'd personally recommend Ted Lasso, The Afterparty, Severance, and Mythic Quest, but there's a lot more there. If it's a free 6-month trial, I strongly encourage you to use it!
I hear ya. For awhile, it was often one or maybe two shows folks would talk about. I want to get the most out of my trial so I've been letting them build up content. It sounds like it's better than Netflix these days which seems to have gone pure quantity over quality. Seems the right time to step on over.

Hex08

Hero
Severance is great. I'm not going to pay for a regular subscription to Apple TV+ but between Severance and For All Mankind Apple has a couple of great shows.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Severance is great. I'm not going to pay for a regular subscription to Apple TV+ but between Severance and For All Mankind Apple has a couple of great shows.

The best thing about AppleTV+ is that the quality of everything they have done is really, really good.*

The worst thing is that they have almost back-catalog.

Still, though, pretty much everything I've watched on it has been excellent. The non-fiction stuff is also superb. They just don't have a lot in the way of "comfort TV" though.

*Okay, The Morning Show was a misfire, as was See, which is funny because those were the two supposedly big draws ... but their batting average is admirable. Whereas with Netflix I feel like almost everything they put out is aimed at the lowest common denominator, and it's pretty rare that that release something that is compelling.

Hex08

Hero
No back catalog is part of the reason why I won't pay for AppleTV+ but also because I am only willing to pay for so many streaming services. I cut the cord years ago because the cost of cable is obscene but now streaming is the new cable.

I have a friend who loves See. I have tried twice to watch it and couldn't make it past the second episode either time.

Remove ads