The Best Warlock Pact

Which warlock pact is your favourite and why?

• The Infernal Pact

Votes: 4 7.4%
  • The Fey Pact

Votes: 17 31.5%
  • The Star Pact

Votes: 33 61.1%

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Fallen Seraph said:
I don't think it is that hindering, since Constitution and Charisma should be high anyways. Also, if one of the two was low... Then simply choose the Star Pact Powers that work best and then just choose Powers from the other Pact that fits the dominant Ability Score.
IMHO Charisma is the better choice for Star Pact. Their paragon path (Doomsayer) gives an Encounter and Daily which both key off Intelligence. Also, dipping into Fey Pact powers seems more attractive from my reading so far.

Finally, Star Pact get a Pact Boon that is better than gold: they kill to get attack bonuses. Look at how very, very few effects grant any kind of bonus to attacks. Star Pact Warlocks can actually afford a low-ish Con and still use Con powers very effectively, they just have to Curse and harvest a few other dudes first.

Cheers, -- N

Asmor

First Post
Nifft said:
Finally, Star Pact get a Pact Boon that is better than gold: they kill to get attack bonuses. Look at how very, very few effects grant any kind of bonus to attacks. Star Pact Warlocks can actually afford a low-ish Con and still use Con powers very effectively, they just have to Curse and harvest a few other dudes first.

Cheers, -- N

You know, I actually don't care for the star pact's boon all that much. The other two boons are useful every time they trigger. The Star Pact boon is only useful 5% of the time it triggers (i.e. if you would have failed the roll you apply the boon to by exactly 1). The rest of the time, it's either not going to matter because you would have made the roll without it, or it's not going to matter because even with it you still failed.

It might be more attractive with the feat, which doubles the bonus to +2. It's also worth noting that if multiple cursed enemies die in the same round, the bonus stacks, so then it could potentially be pretty nice.

I guess what it comes down to is you have to work with your teammates to really make the most of the ability, by coordinating with them so that multiple enemies are dropped in the same round.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Asmor said:
You know, I actually don't care for the star pact's boon all that much. The other two boons are useful every time they trigger. The Star Pact boon is only useful 5% of the time it triggers (i.e. if you would have failed the roll you apply the boon to by exactly 1). The rest of the time, it's either not going to matter because you would have made the roll without it, or it's not going to matter because even with it you still failed.

It might be more attractive with the feat, which doubles the bonus to +2. It's also worth noting that if multiple cursed enemies die in the same round, the bonus stacks, so then it could potentially be pretty nice.

I guess what it comes down to is you have to work with your teammates to really make the most of the ability, by coordinating with them so that multiple enemies are dropped in the same round.
Yes. I posted a thread over on the CharOpt forum (Rod of Corruption: A Love Story) about maximizing the deaths of Cursed dudes. If you have a Rod of Corruption (3rd level item) you can often Curse all enemies in a 5-square burst of the nearest enemy. Then, your party's area-attack master just has to kill 3-4 of them, and you've set up a very large bonus for one of your Encounter or Daily powers, targeted at a "boss" monster.

Cheers, -- N

Remove ads