The big announcement: 4dventure

Vocenoctum

First Post
Glyfair said:
To me, that's pretty normal. Even if things are rough you don't tell the fans before you the employees. When you are part of a publicly traded company you don't tell the fans before you tell the stockholders.

Besides "everything is okey-dokey" is such a vague statement is can mean many things. D&D wasn't folded, so that fits the definition from one point-of-view.
Aside from the fact that the lay-off's might have had nothing to do with D&D's healthy, but rather just "highest paid".

I wasn't part of that. I don't know what miscommunications there might have been or whether Necromancer was talking to someone that had the ability to reach that agreement.
I never heard of the agreement from anyone but Necromancer, never heard specifics on the agreement, and believe it is more like the Monte Cook Unearthed Arcana Unearthed thing. WotC may have stated they had no current plans for something, but would never lock themselves out of their own IP forever.

Either way, the fact that sometime back 5-6 years ago, these things happened, does not in any way lead to me judge WotC of today.

Ambrus

Explorer
EricNoah said:
You know, we need to get started on a very vital task right away... those of us staying with 3rd edition must .. I say MUST ... start coming up with clever perjoratives for those traitors going on to 4th edition. Something to rival "3etard" in its cleverness.
4rons

Olgar Shiverstone said:
Mostly because if it is, after all the WOTC announcements of "No, we're not working on 4E, it's a long way off, etc, etc" they'd be revealed as lying corporate bastards.
If this is 4th edition like it looks like it is, all those big pronouncements that it was a long way off are going to look pretty bad.

Didn't they say they'd only do an announcement like that at the D&D Experience, formerly Winter Fantasy, convention?

While it looks an awful lot like a 4e announcement, it also breaks everything WotC said recently about how/when 4e would be announced.

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
Glyfair said:
To me, that's pretty normal. Even if things are rough you don't tell the fans before you the employees. When you are part of a publicly traded company you don't tell the fans before you tell the stockholders.

Besides "everything is okey-dokey" is such a vague statement is can mean many things. D&D wasn't folded, so that fits the definition from one point-of-view.

Yeah, see, as I recall, after Monte left, people were flat-out asking if WotC was about to lay off more people, and the answer was no. But it was a 6-7 years ago, and I won't say my memory is precise. It's too bad nothing from that era message-board-wise still exists.

Glyfair said:
I wasn't part of that. I don't know what miscommunications there might have been or whether Necromancer was talking to someone that had the ability to reach that agreement. Besides, it meant little to me to begin with. I don't care that WotC did versions later, and never expected they wouldn't. Regarding the project, they were pretty generous even allowing Necromancer to have all the access to their IP.

Are you a WotC employee? I didn't know that. Regardless, the NG guys were pretty clear about their dealings with WotC, and discussed it often. It wasn't ambiguous at all. Maybe we could lure Clark Peterson over to address the topic. I agree that WotC was generous, but that doesn't mean going back on their word on something like that won't hurt their credibility.

Glyfair said:
However, the "major D&D Announcements will be made at the D&D Xperience" was pretty clear. It also was made just over 6 months ago. Pretty incredible that they would change their policy in that time. If 4E is announced now it was in the works then. They should have had a plan about when they would be announcing it then.

Now, to me, that announcement is a big "meh." So they change their mind and make the announcement at the biggest RPG convention in the world, the one associated very closely with D&D since the beginning, rather than their own "in house" con that, compared to Gen Con, isn't all that big.

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
ashockney said:
Just because nobody else has posted it yet, I believe we're counting down to 6:30pm tomorrow night on the first day of Gen Con. Anyone got a copy of the schedule to see what's slotted for that time. It's not the opening of the con, or the opening of the dealer hall, etc...

Their press conference, if I am not mistaken.

Baron Opal

First Post
No, it's for a game involving a four-sided reality / dimensions that disabuses the God-lie rectifing the false historians and the misleading demogaugery. Generating charaters under the true light / dark - high / low paradigm consistant with revolving time you then pursue the TRUTH SELF-EVIDENT for those who desire ILLUMINATION and FREEDOM from false / misleading RPGs.

Remove ads