• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E The Blood Mage (Full Class) [Brew]

AlmirEldignor

Explorer
Ok, I've updated the document to version 1.1!
changes-
a few cosmetic/formatting changes
granted normal full caster spell slot progression instead of half-ish spell slots
the old "Blood Magic" now called Spellcasting
removed "casting spells using hit points"
"corrupted blood" is now a subfeature of the new Blood Magic feature instead of Spellcasting
now uses a sorcerer-like spellcasting feature rather than wizard-like, though intelligence is retained as the casting ability
added "dark siphon" feature
adjusted both subclasses to hopefully be more balanced, especially bloodreaver
pared down the spell list to be more fitting

I think some of the wording could be reworked, but you can only stare at something for so long before you stop getting new ideas on how to work it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bladecoder

First Post
Very good, it seems pretty balanced. Although why not just make it a sub-class to Wizards, Sorcerers, Clerics, Bards, or even Warlocks? Wouldn't that have been easier than making a whole new class?

Thanks a lot, I enjoyed reading through it and I will definitely be looking to your work in the future!

AlmirEldignor

Explorer
I think a subclass would definitely have been simpler, but it didnt really leave room for all the features i wanted to include (most of which ended up in this classes sub-classes anyway :l) If I remade this one, id probably make it into a pair of subclasses, one for sorc or wizard, and the other for barb (might still do those anyway haha)

AlmirEldignor

Explorer
Updated to v1.2:

- More minor cosmetic and formatting/wording changes
- Added "Grave Robber" feature, currently at 15th level.
- Added Light armor proficiency to base class
- Bloodreaver
-- Now has "Superior Proficiency" features, granting martial weapons, medium armor, and a spell attack for the implement.
-- "Blood Strike" moved to 6th level, now improves the damage of the implement spell attack.
-- Removed Extra Attack

AlmirEldignor

Explorer
Ok, it's been updated to v1.3!

-changes this time:
-Moved "Blood Ritual" to the base class, at 3rd level for now.
-Specified a level limit on making spell slots
-Sanguine Master
--moved occult lore to 2nd level
--moved dark empowerment to 6th level
--new 10th level feature "Magic Boost" (almost Identical to the wizard(evocation) feature of the same level, hopefully to be replaced by something more thematic later on)

Harzel

Adventurer
I love the class. There will at minimum be a NPC Blood Mage appearing in my world. Unfortunately, I am not high enough level to have acquired the Insightful Design Reviewer feature, and so I must make do with Inveterate Copy Editor; here are the typos I found:
  • Under "Creating a Blood Mage", paragraph 3: 'thier' -> 'their'
  • Under "Blood Mage Traditions", second sentence: 'lood' -> 'blood' and 'personaly' -> 'personal'
  • Under "Blood Strike", first sentence: 'indreases' -> 'increases'

Harzel

Adventurer
Organizationally, it feels odd to me to have the explanation of how to acquire blood magic points split off from the section on Blood Magic. I think that I would be inclined to fold the subsections under Blood-Ritual Implement into the Blood Magic section.

[h=4][/h]

AlmirEldignor

Explorer
Updated again to v1.3.1

Some spelling fixes
Also combined the Blood Magic and Blood-Ritual Implement into a single feature, with a new sidebar detailing how the implements are created.

Thanks for all the feedback so far! :D

AlmirEldignor

Explorer
Alright it's updated to v1.3.2 with mostly grammar changes. I also re-added the blood mage traditions section which apparently disappeared somehow. Also, hopefully the text beneath the class table shouldn't ride up underneath anymore.

Remove ads