The Celestial Empire (Romance of the Three Kingdoms-ish, Updated 12/09/05)

Next update will be posted either tomorrow or Wednesday. Its halfway done right now!

And thank you for all the compliments! :) To answer people’s questions, yes, I have considered going into professional writing (after I finish my history Ph.D.), but no, I’m not going to school for writing (I’m actually a grad student in Russian Military History). I think at some point in the future I'd love to do either science-fiction, fantasy, or historical fiction, though I realize the chances of succeeding at any of those is rather dismal (they're all rather swamped fields).

Nayu the Bold

Nayu...

Felonca shuddered, her face bathed in orange as building by building, the Jade City took alight, as scholars and soldiers began to burn what could not be saved. Almost incessantly, bright flashes erupted from the plaza between the great buildings, as scholars teleported away with court officials, documents, and magical tomes.

He walked to his death... so calm... Felonca’s mind returned to the same trench she’d dug for herself over the past thirty minutes. Even as she clambered through the Imperial Palace, the haunting image of Nayu’s brown eyes... dead, devoid of life... scarred her soul. She shook her head, trying desperately to focus on the task at hand; rescuing the Emperor from the palace, as Nayu had requested.

Yet she couldn’t shake the image from her mind, and she couldn’t focus on anything except his loss.

“Promise me you’ll make sure the Emperor gets out alive and unharmed!” she heard Nayu’s voice echoing inside her head, and she stopped momentarily, tears starting to course down her cheeks, just as they had when her father had dragged her away, just as they had when she watched her love walk so calmly into the darkness.

”Promise me!” her memory made him shout even louder. ”I need you to do this!” She shook her head

Why? she asked herself in reply. Why should I care? My love is gone... my Emperor is gone...

Because that was his last wish, she reminded herself darkly, before an ironic smile made its way through her tears. He was always thinking ahead... he thinks, her mind refused to accept the past tense, he can distract the Military Governor or Prince Hu by sacrificing himself... one takes death to save all...

But he left me! Alone!
she shot back angrily, the reflection of the flames licking across her eyes. And he never gave me the chance... to tell him... he never knew...

Or did he? The one moment he looked at you, there was something in his eyes.
The memory tumbled back, of the brief moment where his empty eyes had held something.

He used himself as bait... Another tear ran down her face, acceptance finally reaching across her mind.

Why?

To give you time!
She gritted her teeth, the tears flowing more.

He’s doing this for you... She wiped her face, slowly putting things together. He died to save me... to save Yuandi... to save the Empire... she thought, trembling. To give you time to save everything... to make sure Hu is defeated. He went to die to give you time! Her teeth gritted more, and her mind slowly fell onto the task before it.

“Find Yuandi,” she whispered to herself, between the tears.

“For Nayu.”

With a speed and grace that surprised even herself, Felonca bounded through the great halls of the palace, smoke already rising in wisps from the ever-closing fires. In forlorn vain she searched the throne room, the reception halls, the dining halls, until finally, just above the noise of the chaos outside, she heard the sound of a child crying.

Yuandi... She sniffed about, her mind sorting past the smell of smoke, of panic, finally latching onto a familiar smell of jasmine spice and silk robes. She followed the scent, finally reaching a small alcove, a gaping hole in its floor revealing a meeting room below.

“Your Majesty!?” she called, eyes scanning the room below. Amidst the smoke, at first she couldn’t make out anything other than knocked over chairs and a large ebony table. But as she looked closer, she finally could see the off-yellow of a jeweled foot sticking out from under the ebony blackness.

“Your Majesty! It’s Felonca!” she called hopefully. The foot stirred, disappeared, and was replaced with a frightened face. Tear streaks were still fresh on the young Emperor’s face.

”Do this for me!” As the flames rumbled closer to them, Felonca clambered down, and stretched out her hand.

“Your Majesty! Grab my arm!” she called, stretching as far as she dared towards the trapped young boy below. The young emperor below clambered from under the table, and stretched a jewel-covered hand upwards towards her. Felonca grabbed the arm, and hoisted the boy to her level.

“Are they coming? Are they attacking?” Yuandi asked anxiously, and Felonca wanted to cry on seeing those brave little imperial eyes staring up at her, their small forms desperately trying to hold back tears of their own, trying to remain regal even as the boy in Yuandi wanted to run and hide. The brown eyes reminded her too much of Nayu’s eyes, as he strode off into the darkness, and dark thoughts jumped to her mind. It took all her willpower to keep them from ravaging her face. He’s scared. He needs me to be strong! she told herself, hugging the boy.

“Yes, they’re coming, but we’re going to get you out of here,” Felonca replied, trying to shake the depression from her mind. I’ll do this, even if I have to die trying! she promised herself, thinking of Nayu’s final words to her.

“I promise you that,” she added, hugging the little boy fiercely, as a tear coursed down her own cheek. “You’ll be safe, Yuan. You’ll be safe.”

Silently, she looked up, past the ceiling of the palace, towards a distant place where she could see the face of her love.

You'll always be my Emperor, my love...

You are a madman, Nayu shouted to himself as he drew near the gate to the Inner City, the great lions adorning its wooden doors shaking and rocking as something immense and powerful repeatedly slammed them.

A madman with a plan, I suppose. If it can be called that. The sorcerer sighed, feeling the nerves in his body tingling, fear rushing through his veins. Each time the gate groaned under the pressure, Nayu’s muscles tensed. His mind was ready to fight... his body was still ready to flee.

Calm Nayu... you can’t panic. You need precision! Accuracy! He closed his eyes, trying to focus his scattered mind. Slowly, he brought his thoughts together, back towards a single place... the cool, airy archives of the Imperial Scholars, several days before. Tomes upon tomes had lain about him, replete with almost any kind of magic conceivable.

The gate shuddered again, interrupted his concentration.

Precision, Nayu, the sorcerer told himself, his skin crawling at the thought of what he was about to endure. What if the scholars are right? What if innate magic is more dangerous than their studied, control use of magic? His thoughts started to scatter again. What if what you’re going to try to do is beyond your means? What if your soul becomes seared, or is even destroyed by what you’re about to do?

There is no other way,
he thought, calming himself through sheer willpower. They must be stopped HERE, and chances are high that the Military Governor or his sorcerers could easily deal with something made of normal material... something made from the essence of the ancestors themselves...

If the ancestors are willing to be used that way,
he reminded himself. Ripping the ancestors from their peaceful coils to strip what magic residue they had left would be a jolting process. They could curse him. They could even possibly try to kill him. They watch this world, but it is not theirs.

He closed his eyes again, his mind traveling back to a time in the not so distant past, focusing upon one face.

Papa, Nayu prayed, I need your strength and guidance again. I apologize for what I must do here... I have only recently learned of this power, and I’m afraid I might not use it correctly. Papa... watch over me. Protect me, as I channel you and your ancestral spirits to stop this attack.

The gate groaned again, as if something titanic was leaning against it with the force of hundreds of battering rams, and slowly, carefully, Nayu began his chant.

Nayu felt it first in the bottoms of his feet, a tingling, growing warmer and more powerful as it slowly climbed his frame. Rippling wisps of ghostly filament seemed to spring from the ground, slowly whirling up the length of his body, entering every pore of his skin.

The tingling suddenly changed to a burning, as the ancestral spirits fought back, trying to keep what magic they had left tied to their forms. Nayu gritted his teeth, as the pain increased, the wisps whirling faster and faster.

Concentrate! Precision! he shouted to himself. He stretched out his hands, and closed his eyes, as the magic careening through his body seemed to sear itself into the very fibers of his being.

Father... ancestors... help me now!

He felt the hairs on his arm stand on end, his muscles twitching and tingling as power beyond his imagination flowed through his body, coursing out of his fingers. He kept his eyes closed, concentrating, as the hum of magic turned to an unholy moan, a screech from the beyond. Slowly, the blackness that covered his sight changed, despite his closed eyes.

At first, he saw splashes of color, wisps of light at surging points in the roaring noise around him. Slowly, the points coalesced, combining to form a ghostly arm in the darkness of his shut eyes, then another, robes rippling outward from both. As Nayu gritted his teeth, he couldn’t help but open his eyes.

Lancing from his fingertips were thousands upon thousands of points of light, each exploding as it left his hands into a ghostly copy of his own. Some hundred feet away, just inside the gate, the hands gathered, their ghostly white forms expanding, stretching, growing, until finally they covered the entire size of the gate... a shimmering, ghostly wall of ancestral power.

As the last of the spectral hands flashed from his own, Nayu felt an immense release, as the screaming moans seemed to die away... as the ancestors relinquished their power to his young mind.

Thank you, papa, Nayu whispered a prayer, the pain leaving his body. Thank you, Ones Who have Gone Before.

Beyond the shimmering wall, the gate into the Inner City finally collapsed under the immense pressure, and an immense spider demon tumbled through the breach on its eight gangly legs, letting out a screech of triumph as it rushed forward...

...and slammed into the invisible wall with a dull, rumbling thud.

The immense beast made Nayu tremble, despite the wall of power between them. Its body was covered in spikes and points, some of which held the dead bodies of city defenders, blood still oozing from their wounds. Its immense, ant-like head twisted back and forth in anger at the unexpected obstacle, its mandibles clacking as it backed up yet again and charged forth, only to slam into the wall yet again.

A bebilith... Nayu realized, shaking slightly. He’d read of those beasts in the tomes of the Jade City... demons so immense and powerful that they hunted other demons from below for sport. And now the Military Governor has one... he thought anxiously, realizing that clearly not enough time had passed. I have to delay them more... he thought, focusing his weary body on channeling magic once more.

The immense demon tumbled back from its second charge, chittering noisily in confusion and frustration. It slowly turned its immense form around, chittering and growling in some obscene tongue to someone further back, and Nayu’s chills redoubled as he saw a bone-wheeled chariot come into view behind the powerful creature.

There he is, the sorcerer thought, fear and excitement making his body feel almost numb. Part of his mind still screamed aloud that he shouldn’t be here... that he should be on the walls, directing the defense, helping Felonca...

It’s too late... you’re committed now, the cooler side of his mind reminded him sullenly. The Military Governor is here... and if he has the power to summon demons this great, your wall won’t last long against him... ancestor’s help or no...

The great bony figure stepped from the chariot and strode past the demon with complete indifference. Indeed, the great spindly creature seemed to lower itself as the man strode confidently past. As his hands stretched out for the ghostly wall of magic, Nayu felt the magic in his veins finally pulsating at its fullest.

Precision... precision... the sorcerer told himself repeatedly, dreading the pain that would come from concentrating that hard again. This has to be accurate! You’re going to have one shot at this, before he breaks through and kills you! he screamed to himself, as a tiny white bead pulsated and grew in his hands. He closed his eyes, and traced the bead’s path with his mind, the arc, the fall...

His eyes snapped open.

The wall of magic was already shimmering, as the Military Governor immersed his hands in its shadows, testing, probing, feeling its weaknesses.

Nayu raised his right hand, pointing to a spot far above the breached gate, and opened his hand. The bead of magic swept upwards, arcing higher and higher, until it reached its apex, just within sight, high above the city. As the wall began to waver, the bead tumbled downwards... growing brighter and brighter as Nayu still fed more magic into its tiny shape. Downwards it tumbled, towards the wall itself, into a tiny crack between the magical wall, and its stone counterpart...

Nayu was forced to close his eyes as the bebilith and the Military Governor both disappeared in a brilliant flash of white and yellow, the magic muffling the explosion of Nayu’s carefully tossed fireball to a mere dull roar. The bebilith’s screech of pain shrieked through his eardrums, as the immense gate shook, shuddered, then stone by stone, crumbled on top of the great demon and his diminutive master.

As the dust of the collapse settled, Nayu peered into the gloom, the noise of the advancing army rumbling to a halt as the thundering collapse concluded. Above the ruined stones, all he could see were two spindly legs, twisted askew.

For a moment, the sorcerer stood in shock. It worked? He could hear the sounds of trumpets, of orders bellowed and answered, as the demonic army halted beyond the ruined gate. They were leaderless, rudderless...

No more new demons... the sorcerer slowly realized, as the giant spider legs twitched a few times before falling eternally still. It’s over...

You’re alive!
A grin exploded across his face. The timing was perfect, the wall was placed perfectly to block them but allow the fireball through... that will hold them for a while, at least!

As he turned away to head back towards the Jade City, happy to be alive and in one piece, Nayu didn’t see the bony hand that reached from between the bricks, and began to push the stones away...

====================================================

Nayu’s player had the idea to put up a wall of force just behind the breaking gate, and leave enough room for him to chuck a bead of a maximized fireball into the gap, hopefully bringing down the gate and killing anyone underneath. His hope was that if he showed up, so would the Military Governor... which did happen. I made him do a ranged attack to see how close he got when he tried to chuck this fireball bead down this narrow slot, and he rolled a 20. Perfect toss. :)

He just didn’t realize exactly how strong the Military Governor was...

The Military Governor

“NAYU!”

Nayu winced slightly, as Felonca surrounded him and squeezed the air out of his lungs. Above them, the banners of the Jade City flapped in the night wind, while below them, the Yaru River rushed by underneath the bridge. The fire from the sky had ceased... a sign Nayu took to mean that Hu’s armies were forging their way close, and that the prince did not want to injure his own soldiers.

She’s so happy to see me... he thought, his mind turning slightly morose, instead of joyful. In the long walk back from the gate, he’d had a long time to think, to ponder, and he’d finally realized why she’d been looking at him funny for so long, why she sometimes looked embarassed around him.

She was about to say, ‘I love you,’ an hour ago, he realized, covering his concerns by hugging her in return as best he could. He winced again when she pulled back, her face filled with concern.

“You didn’t get him, did you?” she said quietly. “You’re worried about something.”

“No... I brought the entire gate crashing down on him,” Nayu replied, resisting the urge to sigh. I’m just trying to figure out how to tell you something you decidedly don’t want to hear... “There’s no way he could survive that... and if he did...” Nayu paused. “Well, I don’t think he’ll be bothering us the rest of tonight.”

“Either way,” she said, a smile coming back to her lips for a moment, before they turned stormy and she folded her arms, “That was really reckless of you back there!”

Here we go...

“...you shouldn’t have risked yourself like that! It was sheer suicide! I...”

She’s ranting because she loves me, Nayu thought, an idea that made him only more bitter. I need to find a way to tell her... a way that won’t hurt her... He momentarily closed his eyes. Your bold enough to try to stop an army, blessed with all the glib in the world, but when you discover your best friend’s feelings for you, you’re a tongue-tied coward? He mentally kicked himself.

“...seriously, the ancestors must hover over you constantly! First climbing the wall of the Governor’s Palace in Xianfung, then running out to meet an army at Ii-suken by yourself, and now this? Please... I know you’re brave, but...”

She probably has all sorts of ideas pent-up, built up about you, the sorcerer realized gloomily. She’s been with you all these months... Part of him desperately searched, looking her up and down, wanting to be wrong about how he felt. I love her as a sister, as a friend, as a comrade...

...but not as a lover.

That will break her heart...

“Nayu...” she was looking directly into his eyes, “I... I mean the Empire... I don’t know how it will stand the storm it is in without you.” She suddenly looked down, her dark face turning even darker.

He kicked himself again.

How do you tell someone that? Someone that you do love... just not in the same way they... bah! He sheepishly looked down as well, looking at the water as it rushed by under the torchlight of this long, deadly night. I need to tell her, before its too late...

“Nayu, please...” he felt her hand on his shoulder, and he fought two opposite urges... one that would shake it off, the other that would take hers into his own.

“Don’t risk yourself like that again...” she whispered, and he felt her head resting on his shoulder. He closed his eyes, his mind confused, worried for a moment about something far smaller than a battle, but just as significant.

He thought he heard something else, just under her breath, that made him feel miniscule, terrible.

“I love you.”

Nayu... dammit! Tell her! For several moments, he let silence hang in the air, before finally he spoke.

“Well,” he said, shifting his shoulder to make her move, “the Military Governor has been killed off, but Hu will still be pressing onwards, and we need to prepare for his arrival. How have the scholars come on getting the tomes and the Emperor out of the city?”

Nayu, you coward! he yelled at himself. You can’t talk to her! Gah!

“I... I got the Emperor out of the palace,” Felonca cleared her throat, and Nayu felt guilty when he saw her desperately trying to hide the tears that had been in her eyes moments before. “Won Wei safely teleported him to Xianfung. The scholars say they’ve moved the most important tomes out of the Jade City, and they are burning the rest. We can leave when we’re ready.”

Not yet. There’s one more person we need to kill, he thought, desperately trying to distract his mind from other thoughts that were far more depressing...

“Are you sure this is wise?” Felonca questioned. Her military mind recognized that their objectives had been met... it was safe to retreat from the city now, and in the face of the overwhelming odds, even if the Military Governor was dead, retreat was by fare the wisest option...

“Yes,” Nayu said firmly, walking along the battlements, his eyes burning with an imperial gaze as he looked across the approach to the Jade City wall. Those eyes turned back to her, and for a moment, she saw something almost sad in their gaze. It vanished as suddenly as it came.

What was that? She pushed the thought aside as he continued to speak.

“They’re going to have to mass there, in that plaza,” he pointed across the Yaru, towards the closest point in the Inner City. An immense flat plaza of brick and marble lay there, flanked by tall buildings on its three sides. The river and the ornate bridge across it formed the fourth. “The bridge is a bottleneck. When they come in, and they will, we’ll give them one last pounding when their stranded in the plaza. Hopefully Hu will be there... or we can lure him out.”

Felonca nodded at the plan, then looked out across the Inner City, smoldering flames drawing closer and closer. Above the buildings, she could see low humps moving... the great bebiliths she had seen earlier. Hu’s army had found a way around Nayu’s temporary obstruction... but not in time.

For a moment, an almost awkward silence hung in the air between them, before the sorcerer suddenly turned, and began to give orders.

As he barked his orders to the scholars along the city wall, she watched, partly enthralled, party worried. He risked himself so easily today... I can’t bear thinking of life without him. She closed her eyes, and kicked herself mentally. He’ll never pick someone like you, a dark, doubting part of her mind laughed, You aren’t royalty! He has an Empire to tend to... not a love-lost hengeyokai...

Another, more jealous part of her grew riled at the idea. No... its not that way! She closed her eyes. This is a debate for some other time! Focus, Felonca! She drew her bow and re-strung it, trying to keep her mind off of the thoughts roiling through her soul.

What if he doesn’t love you in return?

Felonca! Shutup! Focus!

He does love me in return!

“Dammit,” she growled to herself, as the string slipped from her grip and stung her hand. Felonca... calm... focus.... Patiently, she tried again, immersing herself in the menial task, calming her mind.

Minutes passed by, as she absorbed herself in her work, clearing her mind, until finally the shouts of her father and uncle along the wall drew her attention. She looked up, just as the huge, spindly form of the first bebilith reached the plaza. Behind the immense demon, came the imposing metal form of a ragewalker, and further behind, all sorts of demons and other creatures, their blades sharp, glinting in the flames.

“Wait for it...” Nayu called out.

Felonca tensed, watching the bebilith and ragewalker charge towards the bridge.

“Wait for it...”

The plaza across the river seemed to rippling with the thousands of soldiers and demons swarming forward, the huge space filling up as more and more creatures rushed into the bridge below. Felonca adjusted her aim... as the doors under her feet shuddered from the force of the bebilith smashing into them, she took careful aim for a hole in its armor, just in front of its abdomen...

“Now!” Nayu finally yelled. For a moment, Felonca resisted the urge to look up, but her curiosity got the best of her. She watched, awe-struck, as a sea of tiny stars, hundreds of tiny white beads of arcane power, flashed from the scholars along the Jade City walls onto the plaza below.

For a moment, all Felonca could see was white, and she involuntarily closed her eyes. After blinking a few moments, she was able to see again... the immense plaza, as well as the thousands of creatures that had been inside of it, was now covered with an immense smoke pall, glowing orange from massive fires now burning within its murk. The triumphant roars of soldiers and demons was now replaced with the mewling cries of the wounded.

“Good gods,” Felonca breathed in softly as the macabre scene unfolded. They’ve been wiped out... she thought, as the smoke lazily began to clear, revealing scorched chunks of meat scattered across the plaza, the rest of the demonic army cowering further back, refusing to advance.

The rumbling shake of the gate below brought her back to her target, as the burned bebilith rushed forward again on its spindly legs. Evidently bebiliths aren’t smart enough to know when to flee...

“Meiji!” she pointed, drawing her bow back and shooting. With a zip, her arrow cut through the air, then the thin armor in the bebilith’s weak point, slashing through its wounded flesh and clattering off of the street below. The beast pitched back and squealed its anger... allowing Meiji to shoot his arrow into one of its immense eyes. The creature scurried back, in agony and pain, one of its legs pawing furiously at its mauled eye, so much so that it tumbled off the bridge, and into the swirling waters below, to the cheers of the remaining defenders gathered along the wall.

The ragewalker still stood as well, though it was easy to see that somewhere in its metallic depths, its eyes were looking about in fright, now that its larger demonic comrade was furiously splashing and drowning in the river. His head spun to face the party along the wall, then all the other defenders, and as if he could sense all eyes were upon him, the metallic beast began to back away from the wall... then to run.

“Ah ah ah...” Nayu said aloud, and Felonca watched him almost laugh as he raised a hand and pointed towards the fleeing creature. For a split second, fur seemed to cover the sorcerer’s hand, before suddenly flying towards the fleeing ragewalker. The patch of fur landed on the creatures back, and even as it tried to run onward, the patch grew and grew, covering the beasts back, then its legs... and as Felonca watched, the ragewalker tumbled forward, before shrieking as the fur overtook the last of its metallic armor.

“Cute,” she pronounced a few seconds later, as the new sloth slowly ambled into the burnt plaza, fleeing at a pace that could only be described as ‘pain-staking.’ She then looked out towards the gathered hordes beyond the plaza, holding back... she could sense the fear in them.

Now is where they need a leader... she thought, Someone to inspire them to enter that plaza again and try to take this gate, no matter the cost... and with the Military Governor dead... Hu will have to come play himself. She notched another arrow, the tenseness slowly returning. He could teleport in... he could surprise us with...

Her thoughts stopped.

“No...” Nayu whispered, as down below, a frighteningly familiar figure shambled into view. Felonca’s jaw dropped as well.

No one should’ve survived what Nayu said he went through! How... she shuddered, before raising her bow and launching an arrow that slammed into the shoulder of the bone-armored Military Governor.

“How did he survive?” Nayu asked, still in shock, as the tall, haggard figure continued to shamble forward, limping, dragging his left leg behind him. As more arrows clattered around him, the ghostly form stopped in the midst of the plaza...

“What’s he doing?” Felonca yelled as the apparition below moved his hands back and forth slowly, as if in a daze. She tensed, her bow shaking slightly in her hands. At any moment, she expected some awe-inspiring terror to leap from his hands, and land in their midst...

Nayu squinted for a second, then looked at her with confusion.

“He’s putting magical armor on himself?” the sorcerer said slowly, before looking back at the Governor. “But... why?” the sorcerer raised his hands in question, magic rippling through his fingertips, “He can’t stop me with that spell...”

So he’s being foolish then... Felonca’s shaking stopped, and she steadied her aim. As Nayu continued to blunder onward in his bewilderment,s he finally growled.

“Less talking! More shooting!” She let loose, and her arrow slammed directly into the man’s chest. Only seconds later, arrows from Meiji and her father hit him in the head, and the Military Governor swayed forwards in his death throes.

“That... took care of him... I think.” Nayu narrowed his eyes as the corpse swayed back and forth before starting to tumble forward. It shouldn’t have been that easy. He would’ve healed himself before coming here after the beating I gave him. Unless he was a complete idiot...

Well... we should prepare to leave then...

As the Governor’s dead body hit the ground, its head seemed to break into a thousand pieces, as if tiny snow white bits were scattering across the plaza...

Brains aren’t that color... Nayu started to worry. And heads don’t break apart like that... that looks like snow almost. Why would his head look like...

“Dammit! Simulacrum!” Nayu shouted in warning, a split second before a bright flash right next to him on the wall blinded everyone momentarily. For a moment, Nayu’s hurting eyes made out the outline of a gangly, almost emaciated man, one bony arm clutching a black, vicious looking blade, the other arm of bone stretched to the sky...

Suddenly, it felt as if every fiber in Nayu’s body began to scream. He felt parts of him stretch, shift, and pull in ways that went beyond pain, beyond agony, to unbridled, raw pain, a pain so intense that he couldn’t even scream. His body arched back, his arms spread-eagle as his muscles spasmed, contracted, and whipped themselves into loops. Just as he thought it couldn’t get any worse... it did.

It started when he felt something seemingly crawling along the inside of his eyeball. The crawling feeling spread, to the insides of his ears, his mouth, then under his skin all over, until it seemed that his skin was writhing, as if powerful snakes were somehow bound inside of him, thrashing their way out. As the pain reached an unthinkable crescendo, he could hear the Military Governor’s voice repeating a deadly quiet chant as his heart pounded harder and harder.

Seconds later, the skin on his arm erupted, long, reddish tentacles of blood vessels lashing out, stretching, making his soul scream as they latched onto the stone walls. His other arm erupted, then his back, his chest, his legs, even his face, all exploded into lashing tentacles, holding his now naked muscles in place within a deadly web of veins.

Somewhere, above the searing pain, he heard a voice...

“Did you think you could kill me with a mere gate?” the voice rasped and grated. “Or that I would merely walk out into the open, ready to accept your arrows killing me?” Now there was laughter, hollow, rasping, the noise of a willowy shell of a man enjoying the terror he’d just inflicted. He also heard other screams... the deep throat roars of two hengeyokai above all others. Amidst the pain, he managed to find a tiny thought of worry. Felonca... please... not you too...

“You pitiful fools,” the wispy voice muttered again, “you think you can stand against us!” A hoarse chuckle. “You have failed against me and my pets... how could you think you could stand against Hu himself?” Nayu’s pain increased even higher, as the veins twisted tighter, stretching him further and further. “Its a pity... you won’t get to see the tarrasque destroy Xianfung, and all you’ve built there...”

Nayu caught the word, but amidst the mind-numbing pain, he couldn’t think about it, as his bloody webbing stretched tighter and tighter.

Finally, somewhere inside of that pain, Nayu heard a shriek. It was high pitched, almost the gurgling scream that comes from those who are about to enter the grave. Immediately, the tightening of the veins ceased, and instead relaxed. The sorcerer managed to force his eyes open, just enough to see the tall, haggard form of the Military Governor stumble backwards, an arrow impaled into his shoulder.

“Now!” he heard Felonca’s voice yell, and he felt something brush through the webbing, making him scream once more in pain. Something touched his back, and for a moment, the world blacked out, whispers and moans surrounding his mind in darkness.

Finally, he snapped his eyes open, the pain still intense, but nowhere near as searing as before. His ears picked up the Military Governor grunting, and the sound of an arrow breaking. He opened his eyes, only to see the dead gray eyes of the Military Governor staring at him, the taller man drawing his midnight black longsword and advancing even as the broken stub of an arrow poked out from his shoulder.

Kill him... or be killed, realized. His entire body ached, but he vaguely felt himself again... enough that his pent-up anger and rage at this man began boiling to the surface. He closed his eyes and focused, using all the effort in his battered body to raise his hands, rage rushing through his veins as his magical powers rose to frightening new heights. He wanted to not just kill the man, but to inflict an unholy horror, to wrench the man’s soul from his body, suspend him in agony.

You’ll never hurt anyone again! Not like you hurt my parents!

My village!

My friends!

Nayu’s hands began to glow, blue and violent streaks racing down his fingers as the power shuddered through his system. The power arcing in his grasp was far beyond his own making... he could feel seemingly tens, hundreds, even thousands of others, touching, adding their own strength to his own... the dead of Red Lotus, of Mafeng, and a hundred other towns joining him from the beyond.

“Never...” the sorcerer hissed, his hands trembling and shaking from the power crackling in their midst, “again!” Nayu’s hands suddenly blackened, darkness crossing into his magic like a black tidal wave. With a shout of a thousand dead souls, dark jets of power lashed from the sorcerer’s black hands, wrapping around the Governor’s throat, dark filaments wrapping around his body, and his eyes.

The thin, reedy laugh suddenly changed to an unholy scream, as the black filaments lashed into the Governor. His tall, thin form shook and writhed back and forth, as the screaming arcane power enveloped and engulfed him. His hands reached upwards, clawing at his face as his eyes swelled, the blackness surrounding and consuming his flesh, rising higher and higher until finally only the Governor’s face remained, upturned towards the roiling clouds above, agony on his lips. As the darkness finally enveloped him, his eyes vanished, leaving stark black sockets... vacant windows into a dying soul.

The whirling black cloud continued for only a moment longer, before seeming to spin apart, tiny tendrils vanishing into the night. From their suspended place, his bony armor, sword, and belongings clattered to the ground, thin tendrils of smoke rising from the remains.

From across the burning cityscape a great cry arose... as if one man was screaming at a sudden influx of pain. Nayu shuddered, recognizing the bone-chilling yell of the Prince of Hu in all his arcane fury. The pregnant orange skies above seemed to lower, and just before Hu’s fiery rain could begin anew, there was a flash as Nayu, the party, and all the surviving scholars teleported away...

======================================================

The Military Governor was Wizard10/PaleMaster10/Fighter1, though when he attacked the party, he was partially injured from Nayu's action before. He used a simalcrum to distract them, before teleporting in to surprise them.

The spell he used on the party was called Avascular Mass (from the Book of Vile Darkness). Just as described, it rips the victims blood vessels from their body, and suspends them in the webbing... quite gruesome. Felonxi and Dian were also caught in the bloody mess, while Yari Ai, Meiji and Felonca had to merely find gaps in the gap to act. Felonca shot the Governor, while Yari Ai cast Heal on Nayu. Once he was healed, Nayu launched a powerful disintegration spell on the Governor... and he failed his save. Ouch... 2d6 per level (I think somewhere above 30d6). No more Military Governor...

Go Nayu!! :)

Great update again Emperor V - very vivid spell descriptions, in particular.

I'm also interested in how the players handled the whole "love" thing. Was it a unilateral decision on Felonca's player's part that she should be attracted to Nayu, or was there more of a consensus as to how the two PCs should develop on this front?

TDRandall

Explorer
I bow in awe to your awesome, innovative, descriptive imagery, E-V. When I think disintegrate my mind's eye goes "bzzt ... pft". When you weave disintegrate into your tale it becomes ...

The thin, reedy laugh suddenly changed to an unholy scream, as the black filaments lashed into the Governor. His tall, thin form shook and writhed back and forth, as the screaming arcane power enveloped and engulfed him. His hands reached upwards, clawing at his face as his eyes swelled, the blackness surrounding and consuming his flesh, rising higher and higher until finally only the Governor’s face remained, upturned towards the roiling clouds above, agony on his lips. As the darkness finally enveloped him, his eyes vanished, leaving stark black sockets... vacant windows into a dying soul.

The whirling black cloud continued for only a moment longer, before seeming to spin apart, tiny tendrils vanishing into the night. From their suspended place, his bony armor, sword, and belongings clattered to the ground, thin tendrils of smoke rising from the remains.

Abso-frakin-lutely beoootiful!

Another post is coming, don't worry... its just that the next post is very important, character-wise, and I want to make sure its just right... so its taking longer than normal to finish.

Ok... here is the long promised update! Thanks goes to drag n fly (felonca's player) for proofreading and doing quite a bit of the writeup near the end!

Messengers from the South... and the Death of Love

Months later...

Nayu shivered, flakes of snow cascading from his cloak onto the stone of the wall below. He blinked and stopped momentarily on the battlements of the repaired Xianfung palace, the former black and gold flags of the governor replaced by the Emperor’s yellow and crimson.

Below, the thousands of citizens of Xianfung now mingled in the snowy streets, markets still running feverishly high from the tens of thousands of refugees from Liaoxiang swelled the tent cities outside the walls of Xianfung. Yet today, the main street, normally clogged with feet and carts, was quiet, all eyes upturned, looking towards the southern gate.

“They arrive,” Ling whispered next to Nayu, and the sorcerer nodded. Below, he could see now several armored horsemen, their mail brilliant silver and gold, slowly pushing through the crowd. Alongside and behind them trailed a series of litters, many porters clad in furs hauling each, forming a great gilded snake, trailing through the snowy streets.

“It’s taken a long time to get to this moment,” Nayu whispered thoughtfully, before turning towards Ling and the taller willow of a boy next to him. “Thankfully the ambassadors made it through the winter, Your Majesty.”

“Thank you, Councillor Wakabayashi, for helping to bring this together,” Emperor Yuandi replied, his voice high and confident as a young boy’s should be. He smiled and Nayu, and the sorcerer found himself smiling back.

It had been five long months since the siege of Liaoxiang, and Nayu and Felonca had been busy... Felonca arranging security for the Emperor, while Nayu sent ambassadors to the other provinces of the Empire, requesting support for Yuandi. The boy had grown, even in this short time. Armies had been raised, governors recruited, yet Nayu’s mind kept going back to something that no army could solve for him.

Felonca. These days, it was more a sigh than anything. It had been a hard, trying time. He still felt her gaze as he went about the palace... a gaze that shook him to the core. At first, he’d tried to muster the courage to tell her how he felt, or more appropriately, how he didn’t feel. At one point, his hand had been poised to knock on her door one night, before phantom images in his mind of how broken hearted she would be chased him away.

So he threw himself into the work of being an advisor to the Emperor. For the time being, the sorcerer had set aside his claim... a united Empire fighting Hu was far better than a divided Empire under attack. He’d rushed about the palace, cajoling ambassadors, priests, arranging homes for all the refugees from Liaoxiang... all in an effort to avoid a confrontation he knew was inevitable.

And now, the last ambassadors, representing the two largest and most powerful of the provinces within the Celestial Empire, had finally arrived. Footmen had rushed word ahead that the ambassador from Bei had demands to place before the Emperor in return for his support... and that some strange, exotic woman came as a representative of Han...

Once we have their support... come spring, we’ll have an army that can match Hu on the field, now that he doesn’t have the Military Governor created soldiers of the dead and demons for him... Nayu thought, watching the litters weave through the streets, then onto the snowy plaza before the palace.

“Nayu!” Felonca dashed up, and hugged him fiercely. Its been two weeks! she thought, taking in the smell of the court off of his robes. She quailed slightly, all too aware of the smell of boots, mud, and leather that came from her own body... the smells of two weeks of winter training. The Emperor had already commented on it, before promptly wishing he was the one in the winter training, instead of sitting on the throne.

She pulled back, and looked into his eyes. They were smiling, but still, she could see that there was something behind that easy look... something darker, that she couldn’t place. Within a moment, it was gone.

“How’s the general doing?” he asked with a teasing smile as the two walked into the converted reception hall of the Xianfung Palace.

“Don’t rub it in!” Felonca grinned as they entered the marbled hall, jade and granite columns rising all around them. “Besides, its only temporary, until Uncle Dian comes back from recruiting in Taisho!” She turned red slightly, then glanced down at the worn helm cradled under her arm... the twin red and white plumes of a Jiang (roughly major general) rising from the crest.

“Well... now that you’ve had your fun with soldiers,” the sorcerer teased a little more, “now you get to hear the boring realm of diplomacy. Han and Bei have finally arrived... and I apologize if this pulls you from the marshalling fields...”

“Oh, I don’t mind!” Felonca said a little too quickly, looking into his eyes a little too much, she was so eager to be beside him again. Dammit... quick! Her mind jumbled a thought, and sputtered out, “I...um... know you’ve been working so hard at all of this! Putting all of this together, and I wouldn’t miss your crowning moment for the world!”

“Well...” Nayu started, before the sounds of a distant gong signaled the arrival of the ambassadors. Quickly the two found their places... as a chief advisor to the Emperor, Nayu received a place on the raised Imperial dais, to the right of the Emperor on his throne. Felonca, as one of many generals, was content to sit on the floor... though her close friendship with Yuandi ensured her seat was in the front row.

“Ambassador Qi Dafeng, of the Province of Bei!” the chamberlain announced, and with a cascading creak, the doors to the reception hall opened. A huge man, easily as tall as Nayu yet three times as wide, lumbered into the chambers, his huge and billowing robes thankfully covering the rolls of fat that fell from his body.

Bei... that’s a southern province, with the mouth of the Yaling River... in his last letter, Nayu said they wanted to triple the price of shipping down the river to forty silver taels for... something... she didn’t quite remember the details, and forced herself not to look up at Nayu sitting on the dais, the bright yellow and black robes of an Imperial adviser hanging smartly from his frame.

Han is further upriver, and wants no increase on the taxes on shipping... Felonca distracted herself from staring. It also has the largest amount of cavalry in the Empire... if Nayu can get them to join us. She thought of her Uncle Dian, wildly giggling while leading a charge on horseback, and she smiled.

As the gigantic chunk of lard that called himself the ambassador from Bei sat on the mat provided, Nayu turned his eyes back towards the door. He wrinkled his nose, a new smell sifting in place of the incense.

Is that... rose and saffron? His nostrils were nowhere as sensitive as Felonca’s, yet the smell grew... roses, saffron, and flowers all enveloping around his nose, catching his attention. Somewhere in the distance, a gentle chime sounded, and Nayu’s eyes went wide.

She came in silently, gracefully, blue and green silk flowing from her figure as water gently cascades in a peaceful brook. Nayu found his eyes admiring first her figure, seemingly the work of an immaculate artist, sculpted to perfection. His gaze drifted to her face, only the slightest of wrinkles beginning to form on her exotically pale face. Then, under the strange, golden cascades of her hair, he caught her eyes... a fiery blue that stared defiantly, challengingly into his own, tiny flecks of red dancing in their bold sea.

I... Nayu started, before his mind briefly broke from coherent thought, the jewelry framing the woman’s face tinkling gently as she walked to the center of the room, then bowed to the Emperor, then to Ling, and finally, towards Nayu. For the moment, the sorcerer forgot himself, and stared at the perfect view down the strange beauty’s shirt.

“Your Majesty, Princess Royukgan Vintressa, wife of Prince Royukgan Liuye, Governor of the Province of Han!” the chamberlain called, and finally Nayu’s mind pushed past the fog, barely recognizing the name.

I know they said she was the daughter of the great Emperor over the mountains... and that she was beautiful despite her age... but this... Nayu squeezed his eyes shut momentarily, trying to focus his mind... yet with every breath, the smell of the perfume wafting from her made his mind bring back that face.

“May His Majesty reign in health!” she said, her voice sounding to Nayu like the gentle call of a morning breeze. “And may his councillors continue their sage advice,” she added, those blue eyes looking into Nayu’s again, still challenging, arousing his interest. All thoughts of his friends, the world around him even, seemed to vanish in those sky blue eyes. For several moments, silence hung in the room, until Nayu belatedly realized all eyes were staring at him.

“And may the ancestors protect you and your people,” Nayu hurriedly replied. Dammit! You’re daydreaming! You can’t do that! You’re a councillor to the Emperor! Nayu yelled at himself, And you want to impress her! Was that suave! No... it wasn’t! You looked like a complete goof!

“Thank you, Councillor,” she smiled at him and bowed again. “I bring condolences from my husband. He regrets that his horse threw him before he received your summons, Majesty, and that he is unable to travel,” she smiled smoothly at the Emperor, before her eyes momentarily darted back to Nayu.

The sorcerer felt his heart turning into butter.

What’s wrong with Nayu? Felonca thought, looking at her friend and love. In all the meetings she’d even seen him participate in, he’d always been focused, attentive, ready to solve problems and give advice. Yet today, his eyes seemed unfocused, and he shook his head constantly, as if he needed to break a daydream.

Then her eyes followed his gaze... and she found her own rooted in the canyon of cleavage that was the chest of the Han ambassador.

And she felt her heart turning to stone.

“Your Majesty, the province of Han is full of your loyal children, who only seek to see that your enlightened rule survive these troubles, and that your reign may continue in peace and prosperity,” the beautiful Vintressa bowed, yet when she looked up, Nayu saw the slightest, faintest bit of steel in her blues eyes. “However, we do have a request for Masters Won Wei and Wakabayashi, that must be met so your children will rejoice in your safety.”

“Please,” the Emperor nodded, as Nayu stared wide-eyed between the ambassador and the Emperor... mostly at the ambassador. What could she want from me? Even as his intellectual mind tried to rationalize what he could give her... or more likely, Han province... the small part of his mind that was still 18 years old shouted out its own conclusion, one that filled him with dreadful hopefulness.

“We insist that His Majesty appoint as his sole advisors Masters Won Wei, and Wakabayashi, as well as remove the Empress Dowager from all decision making,” the Princess said, and Nayu could’ve sworn she was staring at him the entire time. “While the Empress Dowager has yet to be found, we want assurances that her advice which so badly led us all will never again arise as a specter to haunt us once again.”

“Granted,” Nayu said aloud, exactly at the same time as the Emperor himself. The boy flashed Nayu a smile, as the sorcerer flashed the ambassador a far different smile. “We promise that our guidance, along with the wise words of Governor Ling, will keep his Majesty well-informed.”

“I... as well as my people... are in your debt, Masters,” the Princess replied, her eyes once again boring into Nayu.

As the conversation moved towards the dispute between Han and Bei regarding river rights, Nayu tried his best to listen attentively, but even when his ears weren’t lulled by the Princess’ voice, or his eyes bewitched by her body, his mind found itself trapped by her wit. For every dull or crass comment from the ambassador from Bei, she launched a witty and acerbic response. For every claim, a counter, for every attack, as smug reply, and as the conversation went on, Nayu realized with sudden alacrity that even as the ambassador from Bei thumped his chest and postured, that not only had Vintressa changed his position to the side of Han, she’d made him think it was Bei’s idea.

A mind to match her body... Nayu mentally stuttered. Felonca was occasionally witty, but nothing as close to what the wife of the Prince of Han seemed to casually dish to her opponents. Part of the sorcerer’s mind realized that she should be that witty... she’d been the wife of a governor for over twenty years, she’d been raised as a Princess Imperial. Yet as she continued to speak, more and more his own reasoning mind gave way to baser instinct.

And his heart beat faster.

He’s gawking at her! Felonca fumed, all the while remaining quiet despite her urge to reach up and throttle the other woman. He’s not honestly thinking that... part of her claimed... He’s thinking politically... alliances and the like. Yet the woman in her saw something in Nayu’s eyes that she hadn’t seen anywhere else... something deep, rumbling...

The look he’s never given you, she thought morosely, even as she hoped against hope. Finally, the conference broke apart, and Felonca watched the ambassador from Bei rise ponderously to his feet, thank the Emperor, then shuffle out. She hoped that the Princess would leave quickly as well... and perhaps trip over something on the way out.

Yet when she turned, she saw Nayu approaching the older beauty, a look of determination, even smugness in his eyes, a look Felonca immediately realized was the face of a hunter, stalking his prey. Instantly, the hengeyokai focused her acute hearing, eavesdropping on their conversation. She knew it was wrong, she knew she shouldn’t do it, but she desperately needed to know.

At first there was idle chitchat, even a compliment from the Princess on Nayu’s success despite his youth, yet Felonca could hear the rushing current underneath the words, and a torrent of emotions ran through the hengeyokai’s mind.

No... he surely can’t be thinking...

Then she heard seven words that broke her heart.

Hours later, Felonca was alternately stalking around her room and curling up in a painful ball on her bed. It was too much to think about, too much to deal with. The panther side of her wanted to run and scream and kill something. The woman side of her wanted to die.

It had been easy, these past few months. She had hardly seen any of Nayu, they were both so busy all of the time. The emotions that had grown to the breaking point in Liaoxiang were pushed aside. She had been so close to telling Nayu how she felt multiple times since then. But each time something had come up. A new group of soldiers to train, a short journey to take, and Nayu never seemed to have time to be alone with her anymore. At times, Felonca missed their travels across the countryside. It may have been hard and wearying, but at least they had been together.

But now…

A soft knock at the door drew her attention away from herself, but then the scent of who it was struck like a dagger in her belly.

“Go away!” her voice was somewhat muffled by the pillow she was hugging with all of her might, but she didn’t care. The warm, somewhat spicy scent filled her nostrils, and she heard, echoing in her mind, those seven words that tore things apart.

“Will you share my chambers tonight, Princess?”

They had been said with all the suaveness and skill Nayu could muster... Felonca had seen that. If Nayu had known or cared to look up at that moment, he would have seen the heart of his best friend dying. But all he had eyes for was Vintressa, who, with just as much suave and skill, turned him down with a smile that only cemented his desire for her.

The knock came again, louder this time. Felonca rolled over on the bed and curled up around the pillow, pulling it into her chest and shaking as though it was a dagger that could end her pain.

Her sensitive ears heard the soft *click*, and she realized with a mix of shock and joy that she had forgotten to lock the door, the twin opposite emotions rushing through her soul.

For a long moment, there was silence. Felonca could feel him standing there, his eyes burning into her back from the open doorway. She resisted the urge to jump up and flee, and her body trembled with the effort of holding still, hoping he’d say something, praying that he wouldn’t...

Nice going, Nayu. The sorcerer rubbed his eyes for a moment. You’ve just destroyed one of the best things you ever had. She was always there for you, she’s saved your life a couple of times now. You, Mr. cool and smooth…too cowardly to tell her how you felt, so you told her you didn’t love her by propositioning another woman. A MARRIED woman.

Ass.

Nayu’s conscience still grated him for what he’d done... and grated him because part of him hoped that the Princess would change her mind, that later that night he’d hear the door to his chamber creak open slowly...

And another, cowardly part, was almost glad. Now Felonca knows how I feel, she won’t keep giving me those looks, or berating me for taking risks. It’s easier this way.

At least she knows now...

On the bed, Felonca could almost hear his thoughts, and a small whimper escaped from her tightly clenched teeth. I will not cry... I will not cry... she repeated to herself. She didn’t want to give him that satisfaction... him. A scar had risen over her soul... and for a moment, Nayu ceased to have a name.

Nayu heard it, and sighed, his thoughts evaporating. She’s still my friend, his conscience yelled at him. No one deserves to be shot down that way.

Why didn’t you just tell her? Ass!
his conscience shouted.

Because I didn’t want to see her cry! I didn’t want to see her hurt!

Well, good job of avoiding that, ass!
The look on Felonca’s face when the Princess had left the chambers stayed in Nayu’s mind. Pain, even anguish in her blue eyes, her body shifting involuntarily between human and hybrid, before she stormed out of the chambers.

He grated his teeth together, trying to think of something to say, something that could fix everything that’d happened. I’m sorry, Felonca. I didn’t want to tell you like this…

He sighed, and reached out to gently touch her shoulder.

The touch jumped across her heart as if he had zapped her with a lightning bolt, and she was up and away from him in a moment, her hand pressed to her shoulder as if to wipe off his touch, or to clutch it to her forever.

For a moment, they faced each other over an empty bed, the silence between them filled with accusations, fear and betrayed trust, and a love that could never be reconciled.

“Nayu... why?” Felonca asked as her friend, her confidante, everything she’d hoped for except for one very important final thing, looked down. Felonca sniffled slightly, anger starting to come into her voice. “Why is she okay, but not me?”

“Felonca, it’s...”

“...because she’s exotic?” Felonca snapped, her voice much higher than she wanted. It was almost as if she was a mere spectator, as she heard her own voice tremble between a squeak and a scream. “Because she’s not a mere run-of-the-mill panther hengeyokai?” she snarled in irony, gesturing with her hand to take in her dark skin and hair, wiry muscles, and comparatively flat chest. “Or is it because you can stare down the canyon that’s her fricking cleavage?!”

Nayu’s blush was answer enough, and Felonca’s anger dissolved into tears.

“This is why we’ve barely seen each other these past few months, isn’t it. You’ve been avoiding me! Because you couldn’t tell me how you felt!” It all made sense... and it hurt even more. He’d known how she felt, and he’d run away from her because of it! She watched with fear and anger as Nayu’s now tear-blurred face looked at her.

“Felonca, I’m sorry…”

That’s what I expected to hear, she thought darkly.

“You’re sorry!” Felonca threw up her hands, even as part of her felt guilty at the consternation in his voice, but she couldn’t stop herself. She was still seeing the situation as an outsider, and deep inside, she feverently hoped this was a dream, that it wasn’t real. That she could keep loving her friend forever without his ever knowing…

“You’re sorry!” she repeated, harsher this time. “Of course, you’re sorry! You’re always sorry. But sorry doesn’t change what you did!” Suddenly, all she cared about was hurting him, tearing him so deeply and making him feel the way that she did. “Well you know what, I’m sorry! Sorry that I ever trusted you enough to protect you, to care for you, to keep your secret, Emperor Nayu! You’re no Emperor, you’re a betrayer! You’ve betrayed me, you’ve betrayed the people by not being the leader that they need, and you’ve betrayed your father…”

She realized immediately she shouldn’t have touched on that subject, when Nayu’s eyes flashed, and his nostrils flared wide.

“Enough!” Nayu’s voice shook the room. His eyes were flashing with a dark intense color as the faintest wisps of magic began to encircle his clenched hands. Felonca quailed, suddenly realizing that she was facing one of the most powerful magic-users in the kingdom, but part of her filled with glee at the thought that he might strike her down. Then at least, she wouldn’t feel her heart exploding at the sight of him…

Her thoughts showed in her eyes, and for a moment, she stood before him, proud and defiant, beautiful in her pain, a panther warrior to the very end. She watched as the anger in his eyes stuttered, then seemed to dim... his eyes looking deep into her soul. The sorrow, the loneliness, the fear that gripped her flashed out through her eyes, and to her surprise, Felonca saw an echo in his face. Memories of her helping him during his own loss so long ago. For a moment, Nayu looked much older than his mere 18 years, like he bore the wearied countenance of an old man.

Of his father.

“Enough,” he repeated, but his voice was quiet, and his eyes were his own again. “Felonca, I’m sorry that I hurt you so badly. I know that what I did can never be undone, and I only hope that it is still in the stars that we can be comrades, if not friends.” He closed his eyes and swallowed, his own voice trembling as for the first time in a very long time, he had let down his walls, and stammered out his heart. “I still need you, Felonca. I need to you to be advisor, and my general. I…I can’t do this alone. I need you by my side to help me lead this empire…but not as a lover. I’m sorry that I don’t feel about you in that way, I truly am. You’ve been there for me through…everything, and…”

As he was talking, Felonca noticed the change in him, and she too, remembered a time when they could sit and laugh, and he could scratch that place behind her ear without any worries. He does need me… She realized with a shock. He needs a friend when the pressures of his destiny get to be too much. He’s still just a scared young man…and I’m just a scared young woman.

“Shhh,” Felonca interrupted Nayu by stepping forward and taking him in her arms. For a moment he was stiff, and then he softened in her embrace and held her back. She buried her face in his shoulder and inhaled the scent of him, filling her nostrils and her memory with this one moment when, for an instant, she could love him without reservation, and she was sure, he loved her back.

“I’m sorry too, Nayu. I didn’t mean what I said earlier.” She said softly into his shirt.

“I know.” She didn’t see his mouth twist into a rueful smile.

For a moment, there was silence, then she shifted her form in his arms and pressed the side of her head against his, and Nayu felt a deep thrumming against his cheek. In surprise he realized that Felonca was purring.

“I’ll always be there for you Nayu. I want you to know that.” Her voice was soft and husky. She pulled back and for a moment she looked him full in the face as his arms surrounded her. Then she smiled. “After all, what would you do without your clever kitty.”

He smiled back, and she saw in his eyes the memories of the comment from seemingly a lifetime ago.

At that moment, Felonca realized that they were just too different to ever be together. She loved an Emperor…who could not love her back. She felt the steel bands surrounding her heart as she forced herself to pull away from him. Never again would she be held in his arms. Never again would she be able to view him as more than a friend.

In his heart too, Nayu knew this was it. Their relationship had changed, significantly. He knew that things would be tense for a while between them. He only hoped that, some day, she would be able to forgive him.

As for the 'love story' between the two, its a literary invention of mine to try to explain what happened here, at the end of the 12th session. Felonca's player had made allusions in earlier sessions that her character had a thing for Nayu, but Nayu's player didn't really respond.

Since Felonca's player in a previous campaign played the mother of this Vintressa woman (see the end of Into the Icy Darkness), I thought it'd be a fun way to end the session. Since in the previous story she'd ended up married to a local of Ak Konylu, it wasn't hard to introduce her in. I hadn't expected, however, Nayu's player wanting to roll a diplomacy check to try to sleep with her (He failed, but barely). This was not popular with Felonca's player, and I promptly put the mini-bruhaha in my notes. Yet both Felonca and Nayu are reasonably intelligent characters, so the fight wouldn't have sprung up overnight... so I built it up a bit to make it make sense within the story. :)

Last edited:

omrob

First Post
How crazy and cool

Thanks for your contribution to the story hour forum. I''ve spent the last month or so reading this story hour, and really enjoying it. Started with High Seas, and found this. Digging that as well.

Its my first OA flavor campaign read and I must commend you and drag n fly for all the story + art you've done for this thread. I've looked forward to and enjoyed every post by you all.

Props to all involved.

Question -

Are all the MAPS available anywhere else ? a Lot of the earlier story hour map and art links diidnt come up for me, and I wondered if they were anywhere else, or if they needed a home somewhere.

Comments -

Great tight group and story line. Way to go. I've got a history BA but never looked at this part of world history, or got heavily into an OA campaign - way to go, I really enjoying it,

Love the players, the NPCs and the narrative. Great writing.

Ill go read your other SHs now.

Remove ads