The Celestial Empire (Romance of the Three Kingdoms-ish, Updated 12/09/05)

Thanks for the positive feedback! I'm glad you like the story! :)

omrob said:
Question -

Are all the MAPS available anywhere else ? a Lot of the earlier story hour map and art links diidnt come up for me, and I wondered if they were anywhere else, or if they needed a home somewhere.

The pictures and maps are very much in need of a home. I've had them a imagehosting.us, but after a certain period of time without membership, your pic goes away (which is what has happened). If you know of anywhere I can stash the pics so they'll stop disappearing after a few months, I'd be much obliged. :)

omrob

First Post
Hi

If you can fix up the links in the posts I can host the images for you. Can you give me an approximate idea of number and size? I will get ftp space going for you.

:BTW: I tried to private message this to you. mebbe you can email or to keep this off the thread

Emperor (all hail!),

Just caught up, a bit belatedly, with the last update. Very good indeed - not that I'd expect anything less by now.

Thanks for the explanation as to the provenance of the romance part of the storyline. It's certainly helped bring the storyhour to life. I hope your players are happy with the spin you've put on it.

Mending Fences, Building an Army... and a Shock

Felonca looked glumly off into the early spring mist as the talking voices filled her ears as she stood on top of the palace battlements. It’d been two months since the ambassadors from Han and Bei had been placated, and her heart rudely torn. Yet some wounds still stood rather raw, no matter how much she threw herself into training the new army that come spring proper, would march on Langya to destroy the threat of Prince Hu once and for all.

Damn you voice carrying so far, she thought rather hotly to herself on hearing Nayu’s voice couple with Won Wei’s in conversation. It made things hard... there were still feelings, but she was becoming better and keeping them aside, out of the way. Things weren’t cold between her and her former love interest, but neither were they warm. She’d described the situation to Meiji as “tepid.” Both of us keep testing the water, to make sure things are okay... but we’re still both a little afraid to jump in.
The mist was extremely thick, she could see them until the two were almost directly upon her... which fortunately gave her time to cover her sadness with a studious stare off into space.

“Ah! Wa-Feng Felonca!” Won Wei greeted her with a bow and a smile, “or should I say, Shang Wa-Feng! A pleasure to see you again and well!”

“And you, Master Won Wei,” Felonca replied, a fake smile on her lips. She sighed with relief when she thought she saw Won Wei’s smile remain steady, yet she quickly felt something deep behind his gaze... some kind of emotion barely being held back. What, she couldn’t tell.

Great... he knows about the unhappiness between me and Nayu, Felonca wanted to groan. That might complicate things... but how did he find out? Nayu wouldn’t tell anyone, and I only spoke to it with my immediate fam.... Meiji!

She made a mental note to strangle her cousin when she got the chance.

“Felonca,” Nayu bowed, a smile on his own lips, yet Felonca could see his eyes... and they held just as much worry and tenseness as a harried mother.

He’s still concerned on how I react when he arrives, she realized. A tiny, ever-receding part of her was gleeful at this... but as each day went by, it shrank even more. Now, she tried to put on a real smile... if only to try to assuage him. She bowed in return, and was relieved to see the temporary nervous look in Nayu’s eye faded somewhat... nonetheless, she rather anxiously rubbed a hand over the ring on her finger.

Her father had found it several months before amongst the piles of tomes and junk the scholars had teleported to Xianfung in the last minutes of the old capital city. It was a silver ring, with insets for three stones, yet all that remained was a single ruby in the center, small yet glowing with brilliant light. Felonxi had handed it to her, and she’d worn it ever since. She’d wanted at times to ask Nayu what it did, but she’d always been concerned old, inappropriate feelings might arise... or she might be rebuffed.

“Nayu,” she bowed in return. At first it’d be hard even to use his first name... the urge was there to distance herself from him, but she knew that wouldn’t help him, or herself, in this entire mess. For a moment, silence hung in the air.

“How goes the training, Felonca?” Nayu cut through the unspoken tenseness. For a second, she saw the words “How are the troops from Han?” form in his mind and on his lips, but they remained unspoken. There are still some wounds... she realized. I should show I’m not afraid of the subject... we’re going to be working together, after all...

And the past is the past.

“Well, the infantry sent north from Bei have proven well trained and steady. Father was especially impressed by their ability to switch formation quickly under stress. And, to a certain extent, forty-thousand troops is always a boon,” she grinned. “As for Han,” she plunged into the unspoken subject, “The rumors about their cavalry are true... the finest I have ever seen.”

“Ah... excellent,” Nayu replied with only a slight halt in his speech. The halt said more than hours of dialogue, and Felonca forced another smile on her lips. Let him know its alright. Though one small bit of evilness came into her mind, one she couldn’t resist.

“And you’ll be pleased to know that Prince Royukgan himself has recovered sufficiently that he will be arriving soon to take command of the Han cavalry himself,” she smiled only slightly. Nayu played the game well, and she saw only a slight tinge of disappointment in his eyes.

“Excellent,” he pronounced, even though she knew he probably wanted to growl instead. “Won Wei has just returned from looking about for that tappask what-not the Military Governor spoke of just before he died. I am assuming that since he was gone for the last two months, you would probably want to hear what he found as well.”

“Of course,” Felonca replied.

“What exactly is this tarrask?” Nayu asked a few minutes later. After the three had moved to a secluded section of the wall, Won Wei’s thin veneer had fallen away, and the fear underneath had roared forth. Won Wei tends to overreact a bit... shouldn’t be too bad.... Nayu tried to wrap his tongue around the word, but no matter how he tried, he couldn’t quite master how it was pronounced. “Terrask? Tarresk?” Why can’t creatures have simple names... Wang-Liang, for example. Nice... rolls off the tongue...

“Tarrasque,” the wide eyed scholar corrected him, his voice low and frightened, as if speaking the very name of the creature might cause it to appear. “It is an utter abomination of life, a great and powerful spiritual demon from the Abyss that hunts and destroys all life.”

“So its undead then?” Felonca asked with a raised eyebrow. “It shouldn’t be too bad then. We’ve dealt with undead things before...” Her statement ground to a halt. “Why are you staring at me like that?”

Its not that simple!” the scholar hissed. “It is neither living, nor dead, nor undead. It is a beast of nightmares!”

“So it takes over your mind? Well, I have Kongxi’s headband, so that shouldn’t be a...”

“No!” Won Wei cut Nayu off, exasperation now showing in the young man’s eyes alongside the fear. “It is more powerful than the greatest dragon, and can slay an entire city in one day!”

WHAT?! Nayu felt his jaw drop.

“Imagine, if you will, a creature so great in size that its shadow stretches for miles, with fangs so large they can impale the mightiest horse! A beast so foul that it kills the vegetation around it, spreading sickness and death where it walks!” The fear came back into Won Wei’s eyes, fear that now Nayu understood.

“It eats anything and everything that it comes across... people, livestock, giants, ogres, dragons even if it can get its hands on them! To make matters worse...”

Felonca spat out a series of sharp curses on the ancestors and whoever sired the tarrasque, as Nayu stared at Won Wei, his jaw still wide open. A beast THAT LARGE? That can do all of that? HU IS SUMMONING THIS?!

“How can we kill this thing?” Nayu finally asked, regaining control of his lips and cutting off Won Wei’s list of doom before it was fully started. If we can kill something like that?! Good gods in the Heavens... we need a plan. Calm down. Think! His imagination ran wild, conjuring up the image of a towering beast miles away, yet so large he could feel its eyes peering at him. The image made him shudder involuntarily.

“It reflects a great deal of magic that is cast on it,” Won Wei continued, unabated, “spells come flying back towards the one who used them! Normal weapons hardly touch it, and even when it is hurt, it heals so quickly that few can really cause it any harm!”

“Has anyone killed it?” Nayu raised his hands in exasperation. Won Wei’s rambling now... dammit!

“I...I found one record,” the scholar replied quickly, “but it said that the beast arose again after it was slain, and proceeded to begin to eat yet again! Fire did not stop it, poisoning the water for miles around did not stop it, they even say the great Kongxi himself tried to put one to sleep, to no avail!”

“What the hell kills this thing?!” Something must kill it... otherwise from the way Won Wei speaks, it would still be wandering around even now...

“I... I don’t know, Master Wakabayashi,” Won Wei bowed in confession. “All the records say that after years of laying waste, the beast merely wanders off to lands unknown, until it is summoned again!”

“Good gods in the Abyss!” Felonca swore again. “So you’re telling me that Hu is summoning a beast far beyond anything this entire Empire has seen since... since Kongxi himself walked in this world?!”

“We didn’t get the right tomes... we didn’t get the right tomes...” Nayu repeated aloud to himself, panic flooding his own mind. Kongxi himself couldn’t kill this thing... how the hell are we supposed to do it?! Think!! THINK!!

“Okay... okay okay okay...” Nayu raised his hands, and started to pace, wracking his brain for ideas. This thing is huge, this thing is mean... huge, mean things usually mean that an awesome amount of magic is required to summon it. Awesome magic means...

He suddenly stopped.

“Where is Hu summoning this... thing?” Nayu asked, ideas coming together.

“We... I... don’t know...” Won Wei whispered fearfully. “He controls the entire northern border, and supposedly now has allies among the barbarians across the Desert Wall! He could be summoning this creature from anywhere in that...”

Nayu closed his eyes.

“If we can find where he’s doing this, I think I know how we can stop it...”

=======================================================

That’s right... I tossed a tarrasque at them. :) Yes, I am evil....

Last edited:

The Return of the White Wolf

Felonca closed her eyes, and focused her mind.

Calmly, almost sedately, she pulled out her warfans, holding them out sideways from her body, her form perfectly balanced on the top parapets of the outer walls of the Xianfung Palace. She felt the first spring breezes blowing past her, through her, and just as they slipped and slid around her body, her body snapped into action, her warfans fluidly tracing deadly arcs through the air.

Below, she could hear the sounds of Guans and Zhong Weis barking orders to the now seasoned recruits that had spent all winter training, just as she had. She could hear the clatter of Han’s cavalry riding through the city’s main plaza, on their way to the marshalling grounds outside the city gates for practice maneuvers. Beyond all this noise, she heard her own soul, stretching free from winters chill now that spring had finally, inevitably arrived.

As she back-flipped from section to section of the parapet, her deadly balance and skill tested to the limit, the back of her mind still couldn’t wrap around the facts Won Wei had laid before them weeks earlier... that they would likely be facing a beast far more dangerous than any prince or dragon, and even now he was gone from the city, desperately looking for where Hu was conjuring this demon.

As she neared the end of her routine, she spotted a shape, and felt a prickly sense on the back of her neck. She landed on her feet, but in a move as full of finesse as fury, she snapped her warfans behind her, their bladed forms stopping less than an inch from the intruder’s neck.

“Ah... still training, Jiang Wa-Feng.” She smiled when she heard the elderly, cracked voice, and turned and bowed to the Governor of Dai. He looked far more elderly of late... his frame seemed more bent, his gait a step slower. But his eyes, they always burned with wit and intelligence, far beyond what she could imagine.

Yet today, she noticed, they seemed to dart about, swiftly, in a hurry. Something isn’t right...

“As always, Governor Ling,” she rose, “We need to always be ready. Hu is crafty, and even if he’s wasting his effort on summoning beasts of power, he could send a spoiling attack to divert our attention. Has my father sent you...”

“Mistress Wa-Feng,” Ling said quickly, interrupting her, “I fear things have become far more complicated than a mere beast or a spoiling attack.”

“How so?” Felonca asked, slowly and guardedly as she sheathed her warfans. What could be a bigger complication than having a gigantic beast from hell arise in our enemy’s hands? Something that’s making Ling, of all people, jumpy?

“I must be candid, Jiang, but I have heard rumors that you and the White Wolf Clan do not see eye to eye, so to speak,” Ling asked, curiosity in his eyes. “To be perfectly frank, not many who cross their path live long enough to allow for a disagreement to arise.”

Felonca crossed her arms and groaned. Of all the times... “How long have you sensed them?” Felonca growled in frustration. Of all the times the White Wolf choose to raise their heads, they pick now! We’ve got an army to train, a tarrasque to stop... “And how many are there?”

“Just one, that our scholars found in the streets of the city. He was headed towards the palace,” Ling replied, his wrinkled face showing worry. “We don’t know how many have escaped our detection, however. I have already ordered the palace guards to be extra vigilant, and detached one of my scholars to personally watch this would-be assassin.”

One would be assassin... either this man is very cocky, and assumes that he can’t be seen, or he wants to be seen...

...why would he be doing this? Why would the White Wolf be so brazen?

“Master Ling,” Felonca said, after several moments of thought, “I think we need to bring this man in for questioning. Do you happen to know where Master Wakabayashi is at the moment? I might need use of some of his magic...”

“A White Wolf?” Nayu raised his eyebrow a few minutes later, and Felonca vigorously nodded.

“Several scholars spotted him skulking about the city, yes,” she confirmed darkly, “and Ling checked up on it himself. They’ve only spotted one using their magic, but I am guessing that where there is one wasp, the nest is surely close by.”

“Right,” the sorcerer replied, stroking his now long black beard. For a moment, there was a momentary thought in Felonca’s mind about Nayu’s handsomeness, but she banished it with ease. Months of practice had made being around him far easier.

“They might be just trying to send a message to us... that they’re alive, well, and still able to penetrate security,” the sorcerer continued, “or you’re right, and this is but the scouting party of an attack group against either you, me, or maybe even the Emperor. I wouldn’t put it past Hu.”

“No, they’re after me, I know it,” Felonca replied. The White Wolf don’t just give up on a target. And I killed the son of the head of their Clan... Bai-Long Mao! Surely his father hasn’t given up seeking vengeance for his son’s death? “It’d be folly for them to try to get into the palace... maybe you’re right, they’re just trying to send a message...”

“Either way,” her friend looked out, over the walls of the palace towards the sprawling city below, “I think we should take him in. Besides,” he turned back, smiled, and patted Felonca’s shoulder, “it’d be interesting to see how well a Jiang can intimidate an assassin!”

Nayu felt gooseflesh run down his arm as the teleportation magic hovered around him, his mind shaping and warping it to engulf himself, Felonca, and a full squad of the Palace Guard.

It’s been all too quiet since Won Wei came back with news of the tarrasque, and I am desperately tired of reading legal documents and tax charters with Won Wei... and its still a few more weeks till its fully spring, and the armies can march...

...this will be some entertainment...

Already his mind was wrestling with problems and potentialities, even as he deftly focused his magic on the spot Ling had told them about. If other White Wolves leap out of hiding, I can’t use my fire spells... we’re on a city street, full of innocents. I’ll have to hold them in place with arcane power...

...decidedly not as much fun as an explosion of fire, I suppose...
he mentally sighed, feeling the magic engulfing his ankles, then his legs, then rising up his body as arcane mists swept them to their destination...

...the middle of a city street, in the market district. To one side lay the sprawling tents of the market for farmers, all busy buying seed for their summer crop, and attempting to sell the snowrose winter flowers. To the other stood a large fountain....

...and a very surprised White Wolf bathing therein.

“Why hello there!” Nayu grinned, magic washing through his veins as easily as a stream flowed down a mountain..

For a split second, the tall, thin white wolf hung surprised in the air, halfway out of the water and halfway in, before he suddenly spun around, running as fast as his legs could carry him. As he pushed and shoved people out of his way, Felonca calmly drew her bow, notched two arrows she’d spent the morning preparing, and launched. A split second later, the white wolf tumbled to the ground, two poison tipped arrows in his back, before any of Nayu’s magic could come to play.

“Dammit,” the sorcerer growled, “you stole my thunder!”

“Who are you?”

Felonca had waited almost two hours for the sedatives to wear off, and overall, she was disappointed with her catch. The White Wolf chained before her in the bowels of the palace was no elder, and he bore no markings of one of the master assassins within the clan. As he blinked his eyes repeatedly after her question, she could sense the confidence in his eyes.

This will be a long talk... she thought to herself.

“I am Bai-Long Di, of the White Wolf clan,” the wolf answered.

Wait... something’s not right. That was too easy! Why did he say so readily he was from the assassin clan? Felonca fought to keep her face plain, even as confusion wracked her mind. That makes no sense! They train for years to resist interrogation techniques, to never give up information!

“Why are you here?” she pressed. Maybe he’s trying to spin a lie... the more information I ask, the harder it will be for him to keep this up. “For trying to kill me, you did a rather pitiful job of running away.”

To her surprise, Bai-Long Di flashed a rather sneering smile, the smile one flashed to the last student in class to understand a concept. “I was not sent to kill you, that alone should be obvious. If I had, you would already be dead,” he said, filled with all the confidence in the world despite his bound position.

“You speak too highly of yourself,” Felonca shot back. “And you have yet to answer my question. Why are you here?”

“To deliver a message to you, Jiang of the Fourth Class Wa-Feng Felonca,” Bai-Long Di said, a toothy grin growing on his face at Felonca’s look of shock. “Don’t be so surprised, Jiang Wa-Feng. The White Wolf did not forget you all this time... we keep track of those that slip from our grasp.” He turned his head slightly to the side. “I should congratulate you, young Wa-Feng. You are now an anomaly.”

Felonca frowned sharply.

“Oh, don’t be upset,” Bai-Long Di gave a disturbing smile. “You’re fascinating to us, in a way... someone that has successfully evaded our grip for so long surely is someone of great skill, both in combat and in stealth. Many of our clan young-bloods wish to prove their mettle by testing you.”

“So your message is a mere, empty threat?” Felonca finally found her voice, even as her mind tried to find a way to deal with the entire White Wolf Clan coming after her. How can I deal with all of them, then deal with Hu, and his minions... gah!

“Oh no!” Felonca frowned again as the White Wolf laughed. “That was decidedly not my message. Indeed, my dear cousin, Bai-Long Ji... you have heard of him, have you not?”

Felonca involuntarily shivered. Ji is the head of the White Wolf Clan! And he’s the father of Bai-Long Mao... The second name brought back decidedly unpleasant memories of the silver dagger still hidden in her boot.

“I see by your face you have.” Another distant smile. “He has decided that our clan should not strike out at you in such a haphazard manner. Indeed, he wishes to parley with you.”

“Parley?” Felonca gawked. The White Wolf want to parley? Why? They NEVER parley with anyone that is one of their targets!

Something is decidedly wrong here!

“You sound as if I am your dead nemesis, Master Hsiu,” Bai-Long Di smiled as Felonca imperceptibly cringed at the mention of the tiger hengeyokai. “Which is part of the reason why Master Ji wishes a parley. Our employer who wished us to catch you is sadly at this time unable to pay,” the wolf smiled again. “There is no sense in risking our valuable assets for a client who is dead... now is there?”

So Hsiu did hire them! But I killed Ji’s son with the dagger... no... no, there’s something more to this.

“Where is Master Ji right now?” Felonca asked. If he wishes to parley, fine. If I know where he’s at, we can get some of the scholars to spy on him before I expose myself to the ‘trust’ of the White Wolf Clan.

“That, I cannot say,” Di replied with a rather smug smile.

Figures as much, Felonca thought sourly, before turning towards the door. He calls himself testing my patience... and this, of all times, is a time I have no patience. She walked out into the hallway beyond the cell, and turned, where a pair of deep brown eyes turned to her in the torchlight.

“Nayu, he’s being stubborn,” she said simply, “I think he needs some sloth persuasion.”

Part of her soul shuddered when she saw his eyes light up, and the dark magic crackling between her friend’s fingers...

Ambushing the Ambushers

Bai-Long Ji wanted to hiss, but he refrained from showing his displeasure.

Di should’ve been back by now... the head of the White Wolf clan worried, his tall, thin form pacing back and forth. He was still in human form, his unusually white skin and red eyes making him stand out from his two cousins who sat with him in the clearing... and the others, skillfully hidden with their cloaks.

Cloaks that cost me a pretty penny! Ji growled again. He’d deeply raiding the clan reserves to pay for the equipment for this trip. Seeing the face of the young Wa-Feng as we slice her open will be well worth it!

He and his clan had been waiting for this day, ever since that dark day the year before when Ji’s brother Enlai, and his own son had been sent on what should have been a rather routine job: a Master Hsiu had paid them handsomely to recover some special dagger that had been stolen from him. The only remarkable thing about the mission was that the thief was none other than the youngest daughter of the hated Wa-Feng clan, a girl Mao had known from his days at the Academy.

”She’s weak and soft, father.” Ji could still hear his son’s voice, confident about how easy it would be to rough up the young Wa-Feng and her friends, and take the dagger back to its owner.

Curse her! Ji growled, the anger and sorrow from the moment he’d found out rushing back from his memory. How witnesses saw Enlai and his son barge into the room where the bitch was staying. The noise of a struggle, then Mao’s screams...

The screams... They haunted Ji’s memory, like distant calls of a long lost soul. They said his son had burned alive, from the inside, and Ji didn’t doubt for a moment that the vile Wa-Feng girl did the deed. No one deserves to die like that! Even we assassins strike our prey with deadly speed, to take them to their ancestors all the faster! They said... they said Mao screamed for several minutes...

Ji shook his head. There would be time to reflect on that later, when he had the blood of the Wa-Feng girl on his hands. He’d eschewed weapons this day; it would be far more satisfying to crush and snap her bones with his bare hands. She was some kind of high ranking person at the Imperial Court in Exile, a court Bai Long didn’t doubt would soon cease to exist. They’d been driven from the capital by the armies of Prince Hu, and Ji’s own contacts spoke that Hu was not only calling more recruits from north of the Desert Wall, but that his scholars were working on some huge superweapon, something that preoccupied all their attention..

Hence me being here this early... Ji thought. I want to kill her, before Hu’s people do the deed for me...

Suddenly, there was a bright flash, and Ji felt the hairs on his arms stand on in as a powerful blast of magic seemed to erupt around him. His eyes reflexively snapped shut, but he found himself almost riveted in place as magic howled around him for a split second. Just as suddenly, he felt something ice cold slip against his neck.

He opened his eyes.

Only inches from him stared back the blue on blue eyes of the panther hengeyokai he sought, behind her a small menagerie of followers. He blinked, then swallowed hard, the movement making the cold steel of the panther hengeyokai’s warfan bite harder into his neck. Damn damn damn! I should’ve known she would have cronies teleport her! The wolf hengeyokai growled lightly to himself in frustration. Desperately the wolf searched for words, to cover his surprise. Don’t like the enemy see you blink... then they know you are weak.

The wolf’s eyes took into the menagerie that came with the panther... and immediately dismissed them all, except for the two huge panther hengeyokai, clad in full armor. So... she dragged her father and uncle with her... very well. We can settle our clan’s scores in full, and save the time spent hunting down Felonxi and Dian...

“Ah... Mistress Wa-Feng, a pleasant surprise,” Ji said, putting all the considerable confidence and umph into his voice that he could muster. “I see you have brought far more with you than the agreed upon number.” She doesn’t trust me... rightfully. Let’s see how deep the mistrust is. Eight people is no matter... he realized, his keen assassin’s eye reading his target, gauging her reactions. Soon she’ll join Mao in the grave, where she rightfully belongs!

To his surprise, the young panther hengeyokai flashed him a smile, even as the icy metal of her warfan lightly scraped his neck. “That is what happens, I suppose, when I don’t trust the host of the party.”

“Well, my dear Felonca, trust is entirely impossible when one party breaks agreements, and has the discourtesy to show up unannounced,” Ji said, looking into her eyes, and smiling himself. She doesn’t mean to kill me. That is obvious. She wants to talk... to find out what my offer means... I only need to keep her attention for a little while longer...

“Trust is impossible when betrayal is planned,” Felonca shot back, her voice sweet but her eyes hard.

Ji found himself smiling slightly in a strange kind of admiration. No matter. Now, to give Wuxi his clear shot... Ji raised his hands, and backed away from her, the disarming smile firmly fixed on his face. “They said you were a clever kitty, and I can see the reports I’ve heard to that effect are true.”

“Yes,” she suddenly moved forward, her warfan once again inches from his neck, “now, I advise you to bring the men you have hidden in the woods into the open. You see, I’ve been having problems with my arm... sometimes it gets the shakes,” the smile on her face suddenly turning into a scowl, “and when I get angry, sometimes my warfan can slip.” Behind her, Ji heard Dian growl.

She’s bluffing. “Surely you’re joking! I have no one hidden in the woods! Why would I do such a thing?” Reason her into thinking she’s being overly cautious. “I only have here with me my cousins Yin and Chao, who are my protectors against treachery, just as my messenger undoubtedly told you. Surely, an honorable Wa-Feng...”

All too late did Bai Long Ji notice one of the horde that had accompanied Felonca moving his hands suspiciously through the air. Before he had a moment to curse, Ji saw seven bright lights seem to explode in the forest... and to his horror, he heard the loud curses of his now blinded ambushers, as they tumbled through the brush, desperate to get away from the blinding light.

“Don’t speak to me about honor!” the young Wa-Feng before him seemed to puff up as she shifted to hybrid in anger, the hairs over her body standing furiously on end. “You would invite me to a parley only to ambush me!? I spit on your damn honor!”

It had been a long time since Ji, self titled assassin of assassins, expert of experts, had been caught this badly off-guard, and as a consequence, he wasn’t used to cursing. In this case, he only spoke under his breath, but even then it seemed as if the damnable Wa-Feng daughter had heard, and she gave a sneering smile.

“I’d advise you to pull your men out of the woods and into the open, Master Ji... otherwise you, as well as they, will meet untimely, unfortunate ends,” she spoke coldly. “Your beloved brother Di spoke... and told us everything.”

Dammit! Ji screamed at himself. Wuxi and his men had powerful invisibility magic, magic that is supposed to be infallible! No one had detected them, EVER, when they used those cloaks! For several moments, the assassin’s mind ran through the plan, searching desperately for where it went wrong, and where he could improvise, and turn this desperate situation to his favor. Think, Ji!

But as hard has he tried to plan, to find a way out, he saw obstacles. The Wa-Fengs had brought scholars, scholars of evident power to have seen his hidden men. Then there were the Wa-Feng brothers, both angry, huge, and heavily armed... Ji knew in a stand-up fight, he and his men stood no chance against them.

The game is up...

“It seems I have no choice, seeing that you brought scholars with you,” he said sourly after a minute or two. What now?

The clan...

He thought back to the rivalry between the two clans, a rivalry that had started generations ago with mere differences in method, that had spread to a feud of blood. Wa-Fengs fought in the open, honorably, while Bai-Longs slinked in the shadows, stabbing their enemies unawares. Hatred between the two was open and furious, only compounded by the request Bai Long had taken long ago from that damnable tiger, Hsiu. If he could save the clan...

They will avenge me... and avenge Mao...

“I suppose you are going to take us away and kill us?” Ji said angrily, his hands now raised in the air in defeat. The rest of the clan... save the clan. They will have vengeance. “I’ll have you know I was the one that took the offer from Master Hsiu on your life, so it is me that you should...”

The wolf kept his eyes staring at Felonca, while he looked beyond her, watching her companions. The two Wa-Fengs had their hands close to their swords, their bodies tensed. They would kill me in an instant, before I could strike more than Felonxi’s damn daughter... That plan would be impossible... it resulted obviously in Ji’s own death, and the probable death of all his companions gathered here. Meanwhile, the young scholar that had so clearly pinpointed his men pulled out a sheet of paper with some writing, and handed it towards Ji’s cousin Chao, standing next to him.

What’s on the paper? Ji tried to think, even as young Felonca interrupted him.

“I don’t seek blame, but I offer my own terms,” she snapped, her eyes an icy blue in the sunlight. “One, you shall cease hunting me and my family. You should have no problem doing this, as the client who requested this is currently dead. Two,” she continued, “the White Wolf Clan will no longer conduct assassinations...”

“Never!” Ji felt his spine stiffen in anger. Anger at himself for underestimating this Wa-Feng girl, anger at being backed into a corner, but most importantly, the seething anger that arose from the memory of his own son’s burnt bones. Mao died in the service of the family... I will not have his name tarnished to save my own life! “The White Wolves have always been assassins and spies, and unlike the weaklings within the Black Fang, we shall never abandon our trade!”

“It is always possible to break the family trade,” Felonca replied sharply. “A Wa-Feng has outfoxed and ambushed you... there is proof enough there.”

“We assassinate within terms of honor and contract!” Ji spat back, pain rising in his voice as he remembered what Felonca did to his son. “We do not wantonly murder, as some Wa-Fengs do!” He uttered the words with spiteful hate, his memories roaring to the surface. Mao screamed for minutes on end...

For a split second, he saw a look of shock on the young Wa-Feng’s face... then to his surprise, the look switched to a twisted look of pain as her warfan suddenly lowered. Wha... she’s been cocky and sneering so far! Why would she look like that to me!

She’s mocking my pain!

“Don’t give me that fake look of sorrow, Wa-Feng scum!” Ji felt his muscles tense, his body ready to lash out in a fury that he knew would kill him, even as it killed her. “You smiled and sneered I bet when you burned my son alive!” For several seconds, the air between them seemed to fill with palpable anger... then, a sob.

From Felonca.

As Ji stood, clenching his hands in confusion and fury, Felonca gave a tortured sigh.

“I’m sorry, Master Bai Long. I never meant to kill your son.”

What?!

She’s trying to play mind games on me!! With my son!!

“You... little... bitch...” Ji snarled, his hand coiling back, ready to strike. “There was no accident! It’s impossible to ‘accidentally’ burn someone alive from the inside! Yes,” Ji was suddenly only inches from the Wa-Feng’s face. “Yes, I many things about how Mao died! Yes, he was sent to try to steal back what you took from Master Hsiu, but nothing, nothing give you the right to make him suffer like that!!”

Ji stared at her, feeling the hot fury behind his eyes, expecting her to curl her lips back cruelly, for her to laugh, for the cold steel of her warfans to return to his throat. Instead, she was silent, her eyes still towards the ground.

“I never meant to kill your son, Master Bai Long. I was horrified when I...”

“How am I to believe you!” Ji snarled, the anger rising hotter, faster. “You come here speaking of honor, but I ask you this! What honor is there in killing someone in such a horrific manner! Even we Bai-Long attempt to kill our targets quickly and with as little pain as possible! Yet you Wa-Feng scum left him to die, in agony!” My son! My only son!

“Sir...” Ji heard Chao whisper, yet the patriarch of the White Wolf wasn’t about to back down.

“I did not kill your son on purpose!” Felonca suddenly snapped, the steel back in her eyes as they shot up and bored into his own, the sudden explosion of noise, sharp and shrill as a drill sergeant, making Ji flinch away from the panther hengeyokai. “If there was a way I could have saved him, or even eased his passing, I would have,” she said, her voice dropping lower and softer, the remorse returning. “I can only give you my word on that, no more.”

Ji stared into her blue on blue eyes. Part of him was desperately searching for the smirk, the sneer she had when she first came... an excuse for him to lash out with his anger, to snatch her from this world before he left as well. Yet as much as he tried, he found only remorse, sadness, even fear. His muscles stayed tense, from anger, and also from confusion...

“Sir?!” Chao said louder in a panic, and Ji felt a piece of paper shoved into his hand. The White Wolf looked down, and saw on the parchment a crude drawing of a sloth, with a simple phrase written below:

”Do you like being human? Play nice with Felonca.”

Ji’s eyes snapped up, and he saw the tall, thin scholar give a smirk then a wink as magic coursed almost playfully between his fingers.

He means to change us into beasts! Ji thought, horror in his mind. That’s... that’s even worse than death! Turn us into creatures for their enjoyment, and we won’t be able to defend ourselves from their torments!

“If you will listen, Master Bai-Long, I will finish the terms I was about to tell you when you interrupted me,” Felonca said again. “My second term was that the White Wolf Clan will no longer conduct executions, except at the joint behest of Master Ling, Governor of Dai Province, and the Emperor. The White Wolf will thus come under the employ of the Imperial Government, training Imperial spies and envoys, as well as serving as a negotiation of last resort.”

“You’re joking,” Ji hissed, anger in his voice but confusion in his mind. Why are they offering this!? We’ve been enemies of her clan for generations, yet she offers to clean the slate between us, even offering us employ?

What is she getting at?

“Too long has this feud between our families raged. You and your clan have skills that the Emperor, my master, will find most useful,” Felonca replied, her voice quiet but deadly. “I’m afraid there are only two options here, Master Bai-Long. Accept our terms, or my friends and I will be forced to take unfortunate action.”

She looked up, death in her eyes.

“Choose wisely.”

Remove ads