The Center of Time

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
Father Seren builds a fascinating picture in your head, one of wonder and loss, meant to both tug on the heartstrings and the imagination, to give reason for both the cynic and the romantic to venture forth. As you all bend to look at the map, there is a ripple in the air. A glimmer in front of your eyes. For a moment you all see the garden, the shining abandoned city, and then something looms above it/near it/on it, a mountain, hovering. Balanced on an impossibly fine point, upside down, its toothy top pointed towards the ground without biting, the snow on its sides undisturbed. Another flicker, and you see the clock at the gates of the city, its portal open wide. A man stands before it, with a smooth, unlined face and hair and beard white as snow, the weight of ages in his eyes.

"It is time." The words are like the sound of the wind, soft and moaning. "Time is escaping."

The wind rises to a shriek, as does his voice. "Broken!"

Another glimmer, and the vision is gone. There is only you, only those whom you know, sitting about a table with a map at its center. There is a new mark upon it. A mountain, the city at its foot.

Shayuri

First Post
Echo struggled with conflicting reactions for a moment. A stab of disappointment that this city was not her city, mingled with a wash of excitement. If this place were real, and the strange numenera of the map certainly seemed to imply it was, then it represented an amazing opportunity and a deep mystery to unravel. Not to mention, the consequences of that kind of 'leakage'...it didn't sound like a GOOD thing. Instantly she found herself thinking of possibilities, even if they were all of necessity speculation at this point.

"I suspect," she says, "we're going to need to know more about that globe he took at some point. Is Jastor located here in this city?"

iamrpgdm

Explorer
Antor is a bit stunned. This is the first time he's experienced something like this before. He's been strange places with his parents, but never any place quite so wondrous. He's very intrigued as well as a bit scared. "Yes, I think we need to find this Jastor and find out more about the globe." Antor says. "Did Zorak happen to mention anything about this upside-down mountain? It seems to have some importance to this city as well? We might need to get some climbing gear."

Last edited:

Tashtego

Explorer
Seregal looks shocked, staring down at the map he holds, with its latest inscription. The fact that the map is more than paper, and the simple idea that the map's story might actually be true, rather than a mad beggar's ravings, unnerves him.

He was expecting some old ruins and a chance to harvest sone cyphers. This is something bigger than anything he's gotten involved with before.

Seregal hesitates; but then it kicks in. This could be the great chance he's been waiting for; discovery and riches in equal measure.

He's silent for a few moments then blinks owlishly, absently responding to the questions his companion's have.

"Hmmm? Oh. I don't think Zorak met Jastor in Narou; I got the impression it was up in Augur-Kala, but we can certainly ask around...

"Oh, climbing gear? I suppose so, but I do have some stout rope with me. The curious thing is that the strange mountain wasn't in Zorak's story at all. It seems to me that it wouldn't be the sort of thing you'd forget..."

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
A few tables away, a very tall muscular man is sitting in the company of several other mercenaries. Despite the cold he's dressed lightly, and you can see disks of glowing material set into his chest and spine. He doesn't speak very much, despite the chattering warriors sitting near him, and looks over all and sundry with a calculating gaze. He looks like the sort of man who could, and maybe has, taken on a small army.

Seregal, of this you're certain. You've traveled enough to hear of a gladiator fitting this man's description, a man who was an undefeated champion for years until the arena was utterly destroyed. No one had heard of him since, at least no more than rumor.

---

Duncan, you're not a man to waste excess words, but you're also not someone to turn down necessary items. You've had to fend for yourself since you've been on your own, and why spend your own shins when the mercenaries that had this table at the tavern had offered you food and drink? At least one of them had seen you in person, and they were similar to the easily-entertained mob you remember. They seemed more interested in talking around you, rather than listening to you, but from their chatter, you heard some interesting things.

"...warm as summer, when there was snow falling not a mile back. So old Varney thinks we're in the cream, of course, no need to waste more fuel and firewood, and sets up camp there. Big bloody mistake, and the blood shed being ours. Storm-suckered broken hounds, a huge pack of the things, all over the camp as soon as the sun went down. Spirits of my ancestors, at least you used to be able to count on winter driving the things away, but every warm-loving thing in the Beyond seems to have found this place and is trying to stake their claim. We lost four before we could call the alarm, another three in the fight, one of the hounds nearly gets my arm, and that was before the mutant bastards showed up. I'm not going out again unless there are a whole lot more of us," one woman is saying, nursing a heavily-bandaged arm and a tall mug of beer.

Last edited:

Shayuri

First Post
"We don't know we'll need to climb it," Echo points out. "And anyway, how do you climb a mountain that's upside down? You'd have to cling to the rock like an insect. For days, most likely."

She shakes her head. "Lets ask around a bit about Jastor, but you're probably right about his location." With a look at the others at the table she presses, "We are together in this then, yes? What supplies do we have, and how much more will we need? I am...a bit light on money at the moment, but I will use it all to help equip us for this."

fireinthedust

Explorer
Duncan had sipped his wine and helped himself to the offered food, then sat and listened. His eyes were black marbles with blue ring irises set in them, the light of which whipped back and forth about the room. He took in the build and equipment of every patron of the inn, and his mind assessed each based on threat level and danger. Merchant, merchant, caravan guard, former soldier with two wars under his belt, caravan guard, serving wench a former thief... and so on. The threats were counted and already he saw the tactics, each step, planned to let him pounce and slay... everyone.

He did hear the relic hunters talking, and the woman's story saddened him. The numenera were of great value, but so many spent their lives in search of them. Those hounds were no joke, and mutants using them to hunt sentient beings... very sad. Finding trinkets was a small amusement for the gladiator, but freedom was hard-won and life was precious. After all, it was so easily lost in this world compared to the ancient treasures these hunters craved, treasures that had survived millions of years where a life was spent in a few short seasons.

"Sounds dangerous," Duncan spoke, his deep voice a low rumble with an electronic hum at its edges. "Are you sure it's worth your life?"

Tashtego

Explorer
"Agreed," Seregal says, laying the map flat on the table. "Let's all be partners in this stake, wherever the adventure takes us. He raises his glass to both Echo and Antor.

"Firstly, Echo, can you look at this map and let me know if you can figure out what it does exactly? I'm happy to assist you." Seregal slides the map over to Echo's end of the table.

[OOC: I can give Echo a +1 to her numenera ID roll.]

"Next, the first step is to ask around about Jastor - if he's not here, we'll need to get through the Sheer to Augur-Kala. I can probably do that; probably just by asking around the tavern here.

"Finally, even though young Antor looks very capable, we may need some more muscle. " He glances around the tavern, frowning and pointing at Duncan.. "Say, isn't that... what's his name, the famous gladiator? Antor, do you know much about him?"

iamrpgdm

Explorer
Antor looks in the direction Father Seren points. His eyes light up when he sees who he's pointing to. "When I was younger my father took me to an arena for my birthday. I don't remember his name, but I do remember seeing him there and he put on quite the show. He took down combatant after combatant. My father had told me that the gladiators were slaves and fought in the arena until they died. It's good to see that the luck for this one has proven better. He would definitely be a very capable companion. I'm not the best at striking up conversation, but I've been sitting here long enough and need to move about some so I'll go and ask if he would like to have a drink with us and discuss joining us on the trek to wherever this map leads."

Antor stands up and makes his way to the bar. He orders a drink and then heads towards the gladiator's table.

As Antor nears the table he overhears the gladiator say, "Are you sure it's worth your life?" to one of the others seated at the table. Antor is not quite sure what he's walking into, but he told Father Seren he would do it so there's no backing out now.

""I'm sorry to interrupt your conversation," Antor says in his most confident voice, "but I wonder if you might join me and my friends at our table for a drink and some discussion. You look to be the kind of capable man we're looking to have join us on a trek. If you decide that what we propose is of no interest to you, then you'll at least get a few free drinks for you trouble."

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
"Sounds dangerous," Duncan spoke, his deep voice a low rumble with an electronic hum at its edges. "Are you sure it's worth your life?"
The woman looks a little confused for a bit. "It's what I do. I mean, what do I do, if I don't do that? Just wander around? Everyone has to be doing something. Otherwise why are you around at all?"

Remove ads